Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-20-2012, 08:40 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Shooting in Bulb mode.

There are supposed to be some good meteor showers this weekend, around the Orion constillation. I do not have a remote control yet for my K-5. Can anyone tell me how to set my camera up, so when I hit the shutter release the first time it opens the shutter and when I touch it again it closes the shutter? The weather man said the best time to view the shooting stars is about 3:00 AM until the sun starts to lighten the sky. There could be 20 to 50 per hour.

Thanks, John

10-21-2012, 07:15 AM   #2
Giveaway winner!

Photos: Albums
You could build or buy a wired remote and it would seem the best method.... for my K20D at least that is how I do TIME exposures... home made remote.

Ah-ha found the Instructable for this...

http://www.instructables.com/id/Pentax-DSLR-cable-shutter-release-from-hands...e-connections/

Last edited by MysteryOnion; 10-21-2012 at 07:35 AM.
10-21-2012, 09:20 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Interesting. Thanks for the information and link. Someone mentioned here on the forum, that they thought that there was a way to set the K5 up for long bulb exposures, so that you trip the shutter release to start the exposure and trip it again to stop it. I will be getting a wireless remote control. The Vello Shutter Boss looks interesting.
10-21-2012, 12:57 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JD44 Quote
Interesting. Thanks for the information and link. Someone mentioned here on the forum, that they thought that there was a way to set the K5 up for long bulb exposures, so that you trip the shutter release to start the exposure and trip it again to stop it. I will be getting a wireless remote control. The Vello Shutter Boss looks interesting.
Consult the owners manual, the setting is in custom menu, "remote control in Bulb".

10-21-2012, 08:40 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
The owners manual is the first place that I looked. The only listing under Bulb in the index, referenced to a page, that just told that as long as you have the shutter release pressed, the shutter would stay open.
I'll look under Custom as you suggested, to see if there is anything listed.

Thanks
10-22-2012, 03:05 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JD44 Quote
The owners manual is the first place that I looked. The only listing under Bulb in the index, referenced to a page, that just told that as long as you have the shutter release pressed, the shutter would stay open.
I'll look under Custom as you suggested, to see if there is anything listed.

Thanks
It is covered on page 116 .

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 11-11-2014 at 05:46 PM.
10-23-2012, 07:28 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks Ex Finn.

I saw that in the K-5 owners manual, but that is for use with the remote control. I might try it, to see if it will work without the remote, just by pushing the shutter release to start the exposure and again to stop it.
Too bad that they don't put a female thread in the shutter release, like they did on film SLR's, so that you can use a cable release.
10-24-2012, 01:22 AM   #8
Veteran Member

It only works with a remote. Just buy a $3 cable or IR remote, then you also avoid shakes due to touching the shutter release button.