Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-21-2012, 06:45 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Dust in view finder

Hey guys.

I was changing lens recently and noticed a speck on my mirror. Got my blower and took care of it, no problem. When I attached the lens and peered through the VF I noticed a couple of more specks which must be in the VF itself as the mirror is now clear. I think I made a noob mistake by not completely holding the camera upside down whilst using the blower and may have inadvertently put the dust into the VF chamber or on the focus screen. Is there a way for me to get these specks out without sending it away?It's not annoying now but I know me, it will be soon! Any advice would be appreciated.

I have a Pentax K-5.

Thanks again!

10-21-2012, 07:52 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What you are seeing is probably on the focusing screen. I would first try using your blower on the exposed side of the focusing screen to see if that helps.

Next step would be to remove the screen to clean both sides. If you follow the instructions for changing your screen it's pretty easy.

http://www.katzeyeoptics.com/files/install_11.pdf
10-21-2012, 07:52 PM - 1 Like   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Unless it is really bad, I'd leave it alone. It will just come back eventually, sending it to be cleaned every time it gets some dust in there would get expensive. If you do it yourself, you're likely to introduce more dust and potentially scratch the focusing screen if you're not extremely careful.
10-21-2012, 08:57 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I got specks behind the focusing screen when doing the same thing as you. The big unsealed gap between the screen and the prism is a bad design in my eyes. Just leave it until you decide to put in a better screen than the stock one, you will get dust there anyway.