Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-24-2012, 04:01 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
My K-5 'flashing' the EV level section

Hi guys,
hard to explain but what is happening is just a little bit annoying;
I am using Aperture priority like normal, but the other day since using live view for most of a shoot, I went back to using the OVF, and instead of just showing where my EV compensation is (say I set it to +0.3) - it flashes a little dash at each end of the scale, and one in the middle, (that is, one at -5 EV, one at 0 and one at +5) - and the dashes dont appear in between.
I checked the shutter speed on the top screen and it was 1/2000 - so well clear of any highest or lowest shutter speeds - and when I take the photo it's fine - it's just annoying because I can't see where my EV compensation is and a thing is blinking at me in the viewfinder...
The other thing is, on Live View, I use the electronic level - and the other day (before the first problem was happening) it served me well for most of the day but then, it did the same thing I am describing for the EV in the viewfinder - it did that in the electronic level on the screen, as in, a flash at either end and in the middle, for BOTH AXIES (axis? axiiiies?) - so I couldn't use the level, and the camera was basically perfectly level, so again it wasn't that it couldn't get a reading for being so crooked.

Now, I ask because it seems like I've turned a setting on or something - I wouldn't bet it was broken.

10-24-2012, 04:35 AM   #2

Have you possibly got bracketing on? Depending on how you set it up, it would take one shot at the correct exposure, one at +5 and one at -5. (Don't have my camera at hand to confirm)
Tim
10-24-2012, 05:04 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Cody, I've got a K5 and I'm just a beginner so maybe I'm not understanding what your issue is. When I use my FA43mm Limited, it has a manual aperture ring and if that's not set to the -A- step, say it's set to f8, I get the flashing you describe using the manual aperture priority dial.
10-24-2012, 06:55 AM   #4

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No, I think what you are seeing is not the EV comp.
You are seeing the electronic level where the EV comp is.
If you turn off the electronic level, the OVF should display the EV again.
Let me know if this works. Good luck.

01-30-2013, 03:45 PM   #5
Forum Member

did this get resolved?? I am having the same issue with my K30.

Blinking exposure level indicator in the OVF with two solid indicators on either side.

Can anyone chime in here?
01-30-2013, 03:57 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think USMcxm35 is correct. I can get my K-5 to do exactly what has been described by turning on the electronic level and then pointing the camera at extreme angles.
01-30-2013, 04:02 PM   #7
Forum Member

I just found out what my issue was. I had somehow switched EV bracketing on using the right arrow dial on the back of the camera, this caused the EV scale indicator to blink.