Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-25-2012, 08:11 AM   #16
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Buschmaster Quote
I know before the expo you mentioned being wary of their claims of faster AF, but do you believe them once you played with it? I think we've certainly heard about AF being more accurate than the K-5 for certain, especially in low light, but haven't been hearing much from people about the speed from K-5 -> K-30 -> K-5 II, at least from people who have their hands on the firmware 1.0 models.
The K-5 and K-30 are more of less the same...

The K-5 II didn't seem faster at all, but it was more accurate. A full test will be posted soon!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-25-2012, 09:40 AM   #17
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Well, you see Wired, that is what I get for assuming. Good to know you've got paying work!
I've been testing all morning K5II/s vs 7D, this won't really help you with the K5 analysis but here it goes.
Low light focus definitely faster on K.
Zooming in on test pattern, 100 ISO, tripod, f8, 21mm, noticeably less noise on K.
Took camera outside, snowed last night, provided good chance to test af on low contrast.
Both cameras did not have problem with focusing, color rendition was completely different, I have a lot of work to do setting up the K.
In general Canon colors where richer, most noticeable in blue sky (most everything else was white!!).
One negative is that when shutter is set to 2 second lag the canon viewfinder remains open until shutter takes picture, K closes and you cannot see as you wait the 2 seconds.
I often choose this option so that I can squeeze the shot and hold steady as I wait the two seconds. With the K I am kind of in the dark.
Lastly, af in low light, unbelievable!!!!! K was able to focus in dark garage, Canon could not. K af assist came on a couple of times, was immediate. Mostly it focused without assist.
I've never had a camera that could focus in this low light, I've owned many generations of Canon beginning with the 10D.
10-25-2012, 10:06 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Thanks for the update...

QuoteQuote:
One negative is that when shutter is set to 2 second lag the canon viewfinder remains open until shutter takes picture, K closes and you cannot see as you wait the 2 seconds.
The reason the Pentax puts the mirror up so you can't see, is to prevent vibration in the camera body from the mirror moving. If the mirror still moves right before the shutter goes, I'm not sure that you've accomplished every thing you could have.
10-25-2012, 10:36 AM   #19
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
At the end of the day, there are two issues to overcome, shutter vibration and camera movement from pressing the trigger.
When I do shoot this way is to concentrate on keeping absolutely still, not wanting my depressing the trigger to change composition or focus.
Either way, I am not disappointed by this, just will have to get used to it.

10-25-2012, 12:16 PM   #20
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
I got an update from B&H regarding the K-5 IIs: they basically shipped all of the pre-orders and ran out of cameras, as their shipment was small. The next shipment will arrive next week, they told me.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-25-2012, 12:21 PM   #21

I ordered the k5 IIs (body only) on Oct 10 . . just saw where it was sent to the warehouse. I think I just made it this shipment
10-25-2012, 01:36 PM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I got an update from B&H regarding the K-5 IIs: they basically shipped all of the pre-orders and ran out of cameras, as their shipment was small. The next shipment will arrive next week, they told me.
I'm glad they ran out. That removes all temptation to purchase as I pass B&H on other business tomorrow. After some recent quality issues with new cameras (by multiple manufacturers, not just Pentax) I will give reviewers and early adopters time to test.

10-25-2012, 02:11 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Y'all can thank me that the K-5ii is available. I got tired of waiting, decided it wasn't worth an extra $500, canceled my pre-order and ordered the k-30 instead. Sure enough, the K-30 showed up yesterday; just as I was unpacking and starting to fiddle with it, Adam's message reporting availability of the K-5ii showed up.
10-25-2012, 03:35 PM   #24
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
The K-5 IIs just became listed as in stock.

Pentax K-5 IIs Digital SLR Camera 12050 B&H Photo Video

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
I'm glad they ran out. That removes all temptation to purchase as I pass B&H on other business tomorrow. After some recent quality issues with new cameras (by multiple manufacturers, not just Pentax) I will give reviewers and early adopters time to test.
They found some extras...

Adam

10-25-2012, 03:38 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by guidoc Quote
I often choose this option so that I can squeeze the shot and hold steady as I wait the two seconds. With the K I am kind of in the dark.
New gear = new tricks.
With Pentax, you use SR to some extent, to take care of the shakes from pressing the shutter button.
The "2 second delay with mirror up" is very useful for waiting for the vibrations to settle, when shooting with long focal length lenses and telescopes that are on a tripod.
Thank you for posting your impressions of the focus performance, it sounds pretty good.

Cheers.

edit: "I am ordering the new 560 Telephoto, does anyone know if the Sensor Shift will work with it? I had heard that it automatically shuts off above a certain focal range but don't know what that number is."

On the K5 the highest fl is 800mm.

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 10-25-2012 at 03:46 PM.