Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-24-2012, 04:49 PM - 1 Like   #1
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax K-5 II and K-5 IIs Now In Stock!

The Pentax K-5 II and IIs are finally here! Both just arrived at B&H, are the K-5 II is now listed as being fully in stock. Orders will be shipping first thing tomorrow!

K-5 II ($1199)
K-5 IIs ($1299)

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-24-2012, 04:52 PM   #2
Veteran Member

This is fantastic! Very exciting!

Just watched the AF test videos again and got a bit more excited yet.

I know before the expo you mentioned being wary of their claims of faster AF, but do you believe them once you played with it? I think we've certainly heard about AF being more accurate than the K-5 for certain, especially in low light, but haven't been hearing much from people about the speed from K-5 -> K-30 -> K-5 II, at least from people who have their hands on the firmware 1.0 models.
10-24-2012, 05:11 PM   #3
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Can't wait for the review! Really interested in how much better the AF will be especially in AFC.
10-24-2012, 05:26 PM   #4

Looks like B&H only has the K5II body in stock. I might have to cancel my order with Adorama if B&H gets the K5II 18-135mm kit in. I just wonder if the pentax 2yr warranty I purchased with Adorama will be valid with a camera I purchase from B&H. I would have ordered from B&H in the first place, but they wouldn't sell me the 2 year warranty because I live in Virgina. Pentax said they would warranty it regardless of my state, so I was forced to go through Adorama.

Last edited by scunning14; 10-24-2012 at 05:57 PM.
10-24-2012, 05:35 PM - 1 Like   #5
Inactive Account

Picked up my K5II/s from Mogil's on the Mountain here in Steamboat Springs, CO

Just picked up mine at Mogil's on the Mountain here in Steamboat Springs, Colorado. Jay (owner) called to inform me to hurry to the shop, my camera had arrived a day early!!!
It is dark today as we are getting some snow, low light focus is amazing. This is my first Pentax, I am switching over from Canon after 20 years. I've done a pretty therough test of the K-5 and I am certain all of you will be happy with the K-5II/s. I am not sure if everyone will need to upgrade as it seems to really shine in lower light and not everyone needs that. At the shop I had a K-5 next to it and tested the af, it definetly appeared faster but that could also be me wanting it to be so. The new screen is noticebly better. I wish all of you good luck and look forward to getting my lens order in. By the way, I am ordering the new 560 Telephoto, does anyone know if the Sensor Shift will work with it? I had heard that it automatically shuts off above a certain focal range but don't know what that number is.
10-24-2012, 05:47 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Hey guidoc, great news!! I'm a Minnesota man so I definitely know what you mean about weather and such. You'll love your Pentax in the winters.

Enjoy your beautiful state and be sure to share lots of shots with us!!!
10-24-2012, 05:52 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Has anyone done extensive focus tests on these new K-5II's yet? It seems off that we haven't seen the usual pre-release 'hands-on' reports, particularly re' the new focus tech.

10-24-2012, 06:03 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
Has anyone done extensive focus tests on these new K-5II's yet? It seems off that we haven't seen the usual pre-release 'hands-on' reports, particularly re' the new focus tech.
Well, the amount of information allowed to have been shared so far has been limited.

Now that us "regular folk" have our hands on it we should see a lot more.
10-24-2012, 06:04 PM   #9
Inactive Account

I searched everywhere Bossa and could not find any, other than the silly video of the guy on the couch test focusing near.
This is my first Pentax and I can only compare it to the K5 that I've been testing at the store.
What I have noticed from my first shots today is that it is very accurate, focus dead on.
10-24-2012, 06:20 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I assume you guys have seen:

And
10-24-2012, 08:26 PM   #11
Veteran Member

still trying to decide if I should get a K5IIs or not...
10-24-2012, 08:52 PM   #12
Inactive Account

I have had the K5II/s for 6 hours now and only tested the K5 (I am a Canon shooter). My experience with the K5 is roughly 1,000 clicks or so (not extensive).
Having said that, I would say that most reviews that came out of the show were correct.
AF seems faster, definitely good in low light, screen is a little better (definitely not worth upgrading for).
That is really about it. I purchased the camera because it seemed useless to get the K5 since the K5II/s was already announced.
My photography requires low light performance and weather proofing.
Unless you need a little faster AF, I would spend the money on lenses.
The sensor is the same (other than focus), so really it is going to be the glass that will bring your shots to the next level.
Neither a great camera and great lenses will help poor technique, but great technique with a poor camera and poor lenses will never produce a great product.
K-5 is a great camera, and looking at your lens list it looks as if you are primarily a landscape and portrait shooter.
K5II/s could help with the rug rats but I think you should put your money on FA31 Ltd lens. If you have not used those before you should definitely look into them, they are the primary reason for my switching to Pentax (when evaluating sharpness). Also the DA15 ltd, a great landscape lens.
I tried to pull a Sherlock Holmes, basically looking at your lens list to determine your type of shooting and what you would enjoy more, the K5II/s or more primes.
Hope you don't mind my assumptions.
10-24-2012, 09:20 PM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by guidoc Quote
I have had the K5II/s for 6 hours now and only tested the K5 (I am a Canon shooter). My experience with the K5 is roughly 1,000 clicks or so (not extensive).
Having said that, I would say that most reviews that came out of the show were correct.
AF seems faster, definitely good in low light, screen is a little better (definitely not worth upgrading for).
That is really about it. I purchased the camera because it seemed useless to get the K5 since the K5II/s was already announced.
My photography requires low light performance and weather proofing.
Unless you need a little faster AF, I would spend the money on lenses.
The sensor is the same (other than focus), so really it is going to be the glass that will bring your shots to the next level.
Neither a great camera and great lenses will help poor technique, but great technique with a poor camera and poor lenses will never produce a great product.
K-5 is a great camera, and looking at your lens list it looks as if you are primarily a landscape and portrait shooter.
K5II/s could help with the rug rats but I think you should put your money on FA31 Ltd lens. If you have not used those before you should definitely look into them, they are the primary reason for my switching to Pentax (when evaluating sharpness). Also the DA15 ltd, a great landscape lens.
I tried to pull a Sherlock Holmes, basically looking at your lens list to determine your type of shooting and what you would enjoy more, the K5II/s or more primes.
Hope you don't mind my assumptions.
Thanks for the quick review.

What about the sharpness difference between the IIs and the regular? That's what I'm wanting to hear about.
10-24-2012, 09:34 PM   #14
Inactive Account

I am sorry pz1fan, to give you good feedback I would have to compare same or similar pictures and unfortunately I shot completely different subjects under completely different circumstances.
Tomorrow I will have a chance to get you some feedback on difference in sharpness. Retiring for the night.
10-25-2012, 08:09 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I do a lot of low light actually. I had a 31 FA and let it go, don't like the focal length.

A lot of my paid shooting is working with local bands, so quick accurate AF is very important.

I got a good set of lenses right now and don't see any glaring holes in my lineup.

Your right, primarily portraiture and cityscape stuff is what I'm shooting. So either ultra wide or medium to long telephoto. I have little to no use for "normal" primes (ie 30mm)

So would the K5 iis be a good investment? Hard to say at this time, especially with 2 bodies already in the stable.

I think the FA 43 would be a better option at this time. Especially since they are stupid pricey in Canada. ($980)