Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-25-2012, 10:45 PM   #1

K5 SR questions

Why are you supposed to turn the SR off when mounted to the tripod. I know you wouldn't need it, but why bother turning it off? Does it hurt anything to leave it on? Also if you have a lens with sr built in, like the sigmas could you run both sr systems and get one super sr system?

10-25-2012, 10:48 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mtnberner Quote
could you run both sr systems and get one super sr system?
No, because the two might be out of sync.

If your tripod is unstable, having SR on doesn't hurt, but if it is stable, then keeping SR on could backfire.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-25-2012, 10:52 PM   #3

Original Poster
What would happen if it back fired?
10-25-2012, 11:33 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mtnberner Quote
What would happen if it back fired?
You would get blurry images.

10-26-2012, 02:52 AM   #5
Pentaxian

The SR system seems to be tuned to cancel out movement which comes from hand holding, slight variations around the circle of the image at low frequency. When you mount on a tripod there is little movement but any is at a higher frequency than hand shake and the SR system seems to over correct. I have found that on my monopod with long lenses (400mm) turning it off gives better results. The movement on one axis with stability on the other two seems to confuse it.

Another thing to watch is the time it takes for it to initialize. The hand signal on the bottom of the viewfinder screen tells you it is enabled and initialized. If you shoot before it is illuminated it may cause blur in your image. Some panning motions may cause issues as well.

Hand held it works well. I can shoot with my 400mm hand held and get quite good results within the operating limits of the setup. With shorter lenses handheld the results are even better.
10-26-2012, 03:03 AM   #6
Veteran Member

As Derek says... it takes time to settle... so it does not permit taking pics in quick succesion either. Taking a horizontal shot followed by a quick vertical shot is normily enough to give you an unusable pic. Leave SR switched off at all times until needed ! Other than that.... it works well
10-26-2012, 03:18 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
This is why I miss the hardware button to switch the SR on the K20D. With the K5 you have to dig through a menu.

10-26-2012, 03:42 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Info button is useful here to turn SR on/off quickly- it has a memory, so if you leave sr setting highlighted, then press info and toggle on the rear e-dial - relatively quick way to turn SR on or off
10-26-2012, 03:46 AM   #9
Pentaxian

If you shoot before the SR has "settled" the result will be the same as if you shoot with SR off, no extra blur is introduced. But I do recommend turning SR off while panning and using very long lenses on a weak tripod.
10-26-2012, 04:06 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Are you sure about that? I would think that unpredictable would be a better description.
10-26-2012, 04:21 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
If you shoot before the SR has "settled" the result will be the same as if you shoot with SR off, no extra blur is introduced. But I do recommend turning SR off while panning and using very long lenses on a weak tripod.
Noooo lol it can seriously oomph your pics to a point of them being totaly unusable ! I thought the same thing. I was mistaken big time
Im not sure how or why it does it but it certainly does do it. It is not a problem on my Nikons where the SR is built into the lens but it will destroy your pic if it has not settled in the K5.
10-26-2012, 04:27 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by StephenHampshire Quote
Info button is useful here to turn SR on/off quickly- it has a memory, so if you leave sr setting highlighted, then press info and toggle on the rear e-dial - relatively quick way to turn SR on or off
True... But I still prefer the hardware button. The K5 is not a P&S, it has loads of space for buttons.
10-26-2012, 05:59 AM   #13

In the above, it has been suggested that if the shutter is fired before the SR icon appears, the K5 will perform just as if SR was turned off which is then contardicted elswhere.

I've use SR on both my K10 & K5 & can honestly say that I've never had a blurred imaged from the K10 which takes about the same time settle as the K5 even when shooting in quick succession BUT with the K5, I frequently get blurred shots (even with a shutter speed of 1/250S) which I've put down the SR not settling. Sadly, IMHO, another area where the K5 is inferrior to the K10!!
10-26-2012, 06:02 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
Are you sure about that? I would think that unpredictable would be a better description.
I did most of the testing back in the K10d days, but as far as I know it's still holds true for the K5.

As we all know the sensor lays loose behind the shutter until the shutter button is fully pressed, no matter if the SR is on or off or the little hand icon is lit or not. (Unless we are in live view, but that is another case).

So no matter how long you wait with the shutter button half-pressed, the sensor is powerless resting on the bottom of the mirrorbox behind the shutter, it's not swaying around waiting to settle.

Here's a simple test. Turn the camera on without a lens attached, set the focal length to 400mm or so (SR on) and the shutter time to 10 seconds (so you can observe the sensor). Look at the mirrorbox, halfpress, wait a second and press fully. The mirror and shutter pops up, watch the sensor "float" since SR is active.

Do it again, but press quickly without waiting the second needed for SR to activate, and observe the sensor, it's not floating. It's locked and behaves exactly as if SR is turned off.
10-26-2012, 06:27 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
I did most of the testing back in the K10d days, but as far as I know it's still holds true for the K5.

As we all know the sensor lays loose behind the shutter until the shutter button is fully pressed, no matter if the SR is on or off or the little hand icon is lit or not. (Unless we are in live view, but that is another case).

So no matter how long you wait with the shutter button half-pressed, the sensor is powerless resting on the bottom of the mirrorbox behind the shutter, it's not swaying around waiting to settle.

Here's a simple test. Turn the camera on without a lens attached, set the focal length to 400mm or so (SR on) and the shutter time to 10 seconds (so you can observe the sensor). Look at the mirrorbox, halfpress, wait a second and press fully. The mirror and shutter pops up, watch the sensor "float" since SR is active.

Do it again, but press quickly without waiting the second needed for SR to activate, and observe the sensor, it's not floating. It's locked and behaves exactly as if SR is turned off.
It was explained to me once by some one on here that knew all the ins and outs. It seems there is a differance in the K10 etc. Its very much as Walker describes. I had a big problem with loads of oomph images while shooting my models with the K5. I came on here and asked qustions and got the right answers. I turned off the SR which I had accidently left on and true enough, it sorted it. I have no doubts watsoever that the SR can, will and does ooomph your pics if shooting in rapid succession. By all accounts it is less of a problem on other Pentax cameras. Im sorry I can not remember why this is so, although some one did explain the whole thing fully. It was enough for me to just know about it though.