Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-26-2012, 02:52 PM   #1
Forum Member

K-5 K-5 II K-5 IIs, e dial issue, Noise

I would like to know what are the difference between these cameras. Most of the specifications availables are k-5's but at shoping stores i find IIs so whats the difference??

Also i would like to know if someone has had problems with edial. I have the K-r and i had that issue of erratic behave and that dont go back, and im sick of it. I want to change it to K-5 but if also is a comon issue i will think it twice with pentax and go to other brands.

Another thing, i would like to know how noisy is K-5, at what levels of ISO noise starts to show up? Is intersting 52000 ISO is very intersting but if it is noisy wont worth.

Any info of K-5 owners i will appreciate it. Regards

10-26-2012, 03:02 PM   #2
Veteran Member

We're still learning a lot more about the K-5 II and K-5 IIs now since people are basically just getting their hands on them. Keep an eye out, there will be more and more posts about the differences.

The big ones so far seem to be:
-Low light AF is incredibly improved
-AF accuracy seems to be improved, but not a ton has been done to entirely confirm this as of yet.
10-26-2012, 03:05 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The screen is easier to see outdoors, and it has SEL af area expansion. Rest is identical to the original K-5.

I had a chance to compare the IIs to the Canon 7D today, and for action photography, the Canon was still far superior in terms of af accuracy and net framerate.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

10-26-2012, 03:08 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The screen is easier to see outdoors, and it has SEL af area expansion. Rest is identical to the original K-5.

I had a chance to compare the IIs to the Canon 7D today, and for action photography, the Canon was still far superior in terms of af accuracy and net framerate.
Ah, forgot about the screen.

Regarding the 7D: That doesn't surprise me at all. Canon has a longstanding history of being on sidelines of sports games, and the 7D also launched with a $1700 price tag, a bit more than the K-5 IIs.

That having been said, I would LOVE to see continued effort put into the AF. If we can continue to hear positive things about the AF like we have been in the latest generations of cameras, we'll be there soon.

10-26-2012, 03:36 PM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Eder Quote
Another thing, i would like to know how noisy is K-5, at what levels of ISO noise starts to show up? Is intersting 52000 ISO is very intersting but if it is noisy wont worth.
I will shoot ISO 8000 with minimal PP. ISO 10 000 to 12 800 with heavy handed NR in Topaz de-noise.
I don`t know if there is anything out there that can shoot clean ISO 52 000 outside military or NASA. Well maybe Canikon FF can.
10-26-2012, 09:48 PM   #6
Ole
Administrator

QuoteOriginally posted by Buschmaster Quote
Ah, forgot about the screen.

Regarding the 7D: That doesn't surprise me at all. Canon has a longstanding history of being on sidelines of sports games, and the 7D also launched with a $1700 price tag, a bit more than the K-5 IIs.

That having been said, I would LOVE to see continued effort put into the AF. If we can continue to hear positive things about the AF like we have been in the latest generations of cameras, we'll be there soon.
We tested low-light AF today and found that it really has improved. At light levels where the K-5 had to give up, the K-5 II still was able to focus accurately and reasonably fast. The 7D had to give up like the original K-5.

So improvements are being made which is nice to see
10-26-2012, 10:01 PM   #7

Photos: Albums
Oh, something I'm curious about... how loud is the mirror/shutter with the II? I know the K5 is wonderfully quiet.
10-26-2012, 10:21 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
@Eder To the point about the e-dial problem, you will find that there are many threads/posts here that discuss this problem, if you search. This one suggests two possible causes, and cures:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-technical-troubleshooting/159180-...appen-you.html

10-26-2012, 10:27 PM   #9

^Yep. I had edial problem with my K-r shortly after buying it. Squirt of contact cleaner and it's been flawless for over a year.
10-26-2012, 11:23 PM   #10
Veteran Member

E-dials are a problem on other cameras as well. I had a k7 and an NX 100 that both needed a squirt of contact solution. After that they were fine.
10-27-2012, 01:15 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kona Quote
Oh, something I'm curious about... how loud is the mirror/shutter with the II? I know the K5 is wonderfully quiet.
Shutter seems exactly the same. K-5/K-5 iis.
10-29-2012, 07:38 AM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
What about these spots that are mentioned

Has anyone had experimented this flaw that is mentioned in this youtube video. Maybe II and IIs also fixed this problem

Pentax K5 Spots On Images - Pentax K5 Sensor Stains Official Notice from Pentax - YouTube
10-29-2012, 07:59 AM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the info

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
I will shoot ISO 8000 with minimal PP. ISO 10 000 to 12 800 with heavy handed NR in Topaz de-noise.
I don`t know if there is anything out there that can shoot clean ISO 52 000 outside military or NASA. Well maybe Canikon FF can.

8000 with minimal is quite good. K-r's pics are noisy with 6400 and over, so that means a good improvement.

Another thing, this info that you mention is with jpeg or RAW, would like to know both, With my K-r, RAW is noisyer but easier to fix with topaz, well not easier, is the same process, i mean better results.
10-29-2012, 08:12 AM   #14
Forum Member

Original Poster
Squirt where

QuoteOriginally posted by Kona Quote
^Yep. I had edial problem with my K-r shortly after buying it. Squirt of contact cleaner and it's been flawless for over a year.

Hi kona i would like to know where did you squirt, i mean from the outside or did you open it.
I opened mine first and second time i cleaned up, but is time comsuming and risky. I dont know if i will need to cleane it up a third time. Also what product did you use?. I used first ime an electric cleaner and second an electric degreaser. First time works only for a couple of months and again values couldnt go back, this time dont know i just cleaned it recently.
10-29-2012, 12:29 PM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by Eder Quote
Hi kona i would like to know where did you squirt, i mean from the outside or did you open it.
I opened mine first and second time i cleaned up, but is time comsuming and risky. I dont know if i will need to cleane it up a third time. Also what product did you use?. I used first ime an electric cleaner and second an electric degreaser. First time works only for a couple of months and again values couldnt go back, this time dont know i just cleaned it recently.
I used Contact Cleaner Lubricant Spray Can - Jaycar Electronics and just squirted a tiny bit in to the dial then fully rotated it a dozen odd times (both ways) mopping up any residue with a tissue. I certainly did not open the camera in any way.