Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-26-2012, 05:22 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
tabl10s's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Sacramento(formerly from B'Ham, England).
Posts: 1,403
"Preliminary" K-5IIs Review.

Pentax K-5 iis First Impressions - YouTube

10-26-2012, 05:34 PM   #2
Veteran Member
GDRoth's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: S.E. Michigan, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 831
holy cow...........this sounds very exciting!
10-26-2012, 05:41 PM   #3
Pentaxian
JinDesu's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: New York City
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,626
Looks good. Ed's a pretty down to earth guy, I watched a few of his videos on his channel.
10-26-2012, 05:55 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
tabl10s's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Sacramento(formerly from B'Ham, England).
Posts: 1,403
Original Poster
I'm getting two as I don't want to favor one '5 over the other. I'm curious as to how the '15/'31/'43' & '77 will hold up. Aid or impede?

10-26-2012, 06:22 PM   #5
Veteran Member




Join Date: Aug 2009
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,236
It's nice to see the K-5 IIs will most likely be successful in some areas such as resolition. However, it can't of course achieve things related to the physical size of sensors.

I handled a K-5 IIs at a camera shop today. It does seem to have smarter auto-focus. I tried AF with macro focusing on the 100mm f2.8 WR in indoor store lighting conditions and it felt a bit better than a K-5 would have. It did still hunt though.
10-26-2012, 06:34 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Ex Finn.'s Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Southern Maryland.
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 6,391
I just watched it 5 times over, there could go my hard earned savings.
10-26-2012, 07:22 PM   #7
Senior Member




Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Ames, Iowa
Photos: Albums
Posts: 173
QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
Looks good. Ed's a pretty down to earth guy, I watched a few of his videos on his channel.
Exactly. That's what makes his videos unique comparing to those from other gear review channels, who need to care about those sponsors' brand images, and tend to say things not so critical.

Last edited by kesong; 10-26-2012 at 07:32 PM.
10-26-2012, 07:37 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Tumbleweed, Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,119
I just watched the video. Just prior to that I looked at Adam's initial shots between the II and IIs which show improvement that a couple of other threads don't. Maybe, the IIs is significantly better. I'll just sit back and continue reading. I do have a couple of more lenses I could sell that I am no longer really using....



10-27-2012, 10:16 PM   #9
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Eastern Oregon
Posts: 615
QuoteOriginally posted by kesong Quote
Exactly. That's what makes his videos unique comparing to those from other gear review channels, who need to care about those sponsors' brand images, and tend to say things not so critical.
Unique, well it is that!

Critical, yea, although I have to admit I sometimes think (know) I get a little too worked up... (I'm thinking the Pentax marketing department isn't too thrilled with me! Oh well, we always hurt the ones we love... )

Thanks for the comments everybody, nice to get positive feedback!

Edward
10-27-2012, 10:29 PM   #10
Veteran Member
creampuff's Avatar

Join Date: May 2007
Location: Singapore
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,955
What a poor review... rambling, incoherent and a complete waste of time.
10-27-2012, 10:55 PM   #11
Pentaxian
RobA_Oz's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Tasmania, Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,359
QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
What a poor review... rambling, incoherent and a complete waste of time.
You're obviously not used to the American vernacular! Or, maybe, stream-of-consciousness presentation styles.

I think your judgment is a little harsh. Communication is often (admittedly, inaccurately) stated to be 20% verbal and 80% non-verbal. In this case, the non-verbal stuff is as important as the spoken word, possibly more so, because the speaker's heightened interest is plainly visible. Is that important to us, though? Some Forum members think so, on the basis of his past reviews, so I would reserve passing judgment until reviewing that history.
10-27-2012, 11:05 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 27,698
QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
What a poor review... rambling, incoherent and a complete waste of time.
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
You're obviously not used to the American vernacular! Or, maybe, stream-of-consciousness presentation styles.

I think your judgment is a little harsh. Communication is often (admittedly, inaccurately) stated to be 20% verbal and 80% non-verbal. In this case, the non-verbal stuff is as important as the spoken word, possibly more so, because the speaker's heightened interest is plainly visible. Is that important to us, though? Some Forum members think so, on the basis of his past reviews, so I would reserve passing judgment until reviewing that history.
Well, I am American (born and raised) and I have to side with creampuff. The blogger (Ed) obviously liked the K5 IIs, but he definitely had two problems:
  • Showing us evidence of why
  • Expressing himself well enough to convince us in the absence of evidence
My impression after watching the entire video was that he has been looking for a good reason to move away from Canon FF and now has a decent excuse.


Steve

P.S. I have to admit that part of my opinion was based on watching a few other of his videos on the subject of religion. Same style, same issues, very frustrating to watch and listen to.
10-27-2012, 11:17 PM   #13
Pentaxian
RobA_Oz's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Tasmania, Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,359
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Well, I am American (born and raised) and I have to side with creampuff. The blogger (Ed) obviously liked the K5 IIs, but he definitely had two problems:
  • Showing us evidence of why
  • Expressing himself well enough to convince us in the absence of evidence
My impression after watching the entire video was that he has been looking for a good reason to move away from Canon FF and now has a decent excuse.


Steve
I don't mean to start a culture war: just pointing out different styles are just that - different.

And, I don't disagree with what you say, in relation to the evidence. However, it is a blog, and he does say that there will be more to come. If it was a written blog, which presumably would have had the verbal gap fillers and hesitations edited out, would we be so critical? I suspect not.

We're all coming to terms with the changes to the way people provide information with the new medium. I expect both presenter and viewer will change as things progress further. If you read some journalists' work from two hundred years ago, you will most likely find much the same verbal peregrinations, because they were exploring a new presentation form, having been used to oratory, previously. The more things change, and all that.
10-28-2012, 02:02 AM   #14
ogl
Pentaxian
ogl's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Siberia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,294
QuoteOriginally posted by tabl10s Quote
A lot of words...And nothing else.
10-28-2012, 09:51 AM - 1 Like   #15
HSV
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 321
In defense of the youtube poster, which also happens to be one of us PF members...the videos is about initial impressions, not about technical comparisons.

Most people would want to know objectively the difference between the K-5, II, and IIs...and APS-C vs FF or whatnot, but I think that was not the objective of the video.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, dslr, k-5, k-5 ii, k-5 iis, k5, pentax k-5
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Post your "Park Bench" "or "Picnic Table" images tessfully Mini-Challenges, Games, and Photo Stories 1451 1 Day Ago 01:14 AM
Don't say Pentax "Q" in French ... "Q" = "cul" = "A--" Jean Poitiers Pentax Q 52 11-10-2013 06:25 AM
K-5, "item under review" on Amazon causey Pentax K-5 21 02-12-2011 06:17 PM
Optio RZ10 review: "Surprisingly good" gazonk Pentax Compact Cameras 2 01-24-2011 11:20 AM
New K-x "Takes" Pictures, but Can't Review mblanc Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 11 01-17-2011 07:20 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:03 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top