Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-26-2012, 06:04 PM - 3 Likes   #1
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax K-5 IIs First Impressions, sample comparative photos

I used the Pentax K-5 IIs all day today, and here's what I have to say:

-The resolution is MUCH higher than that of the K-5, and it is very impressive. I wasn't able to induce any moire out in the city or in the park, meaning that it's not going to be a problem for outdoor shooters. I will be trying shooting other subjects later
-The screen is easier to see than that of the original K-5, and it has a much wider viewing angle. I recommend you turn up your brightness all the way, which makes it even easier to see!
-The AF isn't any faster in everyday use. The Canon 7D still dominates the K-5 II/s for action photography in terms of AF accuracy, speed, framerate, and buffer size
-Expanded area AF is neat, and it certainly makes SEL mode more useful
-Everything else, including CDAF and Live View, remains unchanged. The strap has been redesigned, though!

I've yet to conduct any low-light or controlled AF tests or to tabulate the data from my action photography tests (number of sharp images / total). The effect of moire still has to be properly evaluated as well.

The bottom line is that the K-5 IIs may well produce the best image quality of any APS-C DSLR, and is an absolute steal even at $1299. At the same time, it's getting increasingly farther behind the competition in remaining areas (except for handling of course) such as overall performance and video. Stay tuned for more soon!

Here's a comparison of the IQ from the K-5 and K-5 IIs. All the settings were the same, except that the sun went away during the K-5 shot.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-26-2012, 06:13 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Thats very impressive!
It even makes it look like the K-5 is defective
10-26-2012, 06:14 PM   #3
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
So you don't think there would be a significant difference between a K-5 and K-5II/s for action sports like football? Faster and more accurate AF would be my primary reason for upgrading.
10-26-2012, 06:15 PM   #4

Very impressive the detail on that crop! thanks for sharing!

10-26-2012, 06:19 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I always new my k5 was soft, it wasn't as soft as the d3 but compared to the gx10 (which was razor sharp.. but had moire problems on parrot feathers) and even my gf1.

I'm not sure why the k5 was given such a strong AA filter in the first place.
10-26-2012, 06:20 PM   #6
Veteran Member

That's a serious difference in resolution!
10-26-2012, 06:26 PM   #7
Forum Member

Thank you, Adam! Impatiently waiting for the full review

10-26-2012, 06:36 PM   #8

Hm...

Pics made under VERY different light conditions,at different daytimes, s.EXIF. Sorry,I'm not impressed.Excuse mio inglese
10-26-2012, 06:41 PM   #9

I thought DP review said that the Pentax k5 had the weakest AA filter out of the equivalent canikon bodies.
10-26-2012, 06:44 PM   #10
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by barabata Quote
Pics made under VERY different light conditions,at different daytimes, s.EXIF. Sorry,I'm not impressed.Excuse mio inglese
Wow. Just, wow....
10-26-2012, 06:48 PM   #11
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
One was shot 2 minutes after the other (the K-5 is using MST, while the K-5 IIs is using EST). But fine, you'll get more!

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-26-2012, 06:52 PM   #12

I can't wait for the review. Based on the reviews, samples and AF videos I've seen, I'm sold. This camera gives me total confidence they are on the right track. I'll upgrade and patiently wait for a full frame down the road.

One thing I haven't heard much about is the flash performance. Will that be covered in the review?
10-26-2012, 06:57 PM   #13
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pz1fan Quote
One thing I haven't heard much about is the flash performance. Will that be covered in the review?
The upcoming review will only cover what's new in the K-5 II/s.

These might be of help, though, though I don't think flash gets much attention:
Pentax K-5 Camera Review - Introduction - PentaxForums.com
Canon 7D vs. Pentax K-5 - Introduction - PentaxForums.com

Adam

10-26-2012, 07:26 PM   #14
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
Here's a couple more
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 

Adam

10-26-2012, 07:29 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Thanks greatly for the preliminary review, Adam. The differences are astonishing! Unless there is a known problem with the K-5/lens, the K5IIs has clearly more resolution. Was the lens used for making the photos the exact same lens? Now ............what advantage would that give the user? The K-5 already has great, great IQ. I don't have the K-5, but I understand that one can make very crisp and very large prints. So will the K5IIs allow one to make even larger, crisper prints?