Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-26-2012, 07:39 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
AF speed and sports tracking aside, as long as it is ACCURATE for normal use will make it a perfect buy.

10-26-2012, 07:39 PM   #17
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GlennG Quote
So will the K5IIs allow one to make even larger, crisper prints?
That would make perfect sense

There's nothing wrong with the lenses, but no, we used 2 separate copies. They've stood the test of time, however, as they get used extensively for all sorts of camera and lens tests. Regardless, tomorrow I'll swap them just in case!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-26-2012, 07:40 PM   #18
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
AF speed and sports tracking aside, as long as it is ACCURATE for normal use will make it a perfect buy.
Well, it certainly is accurate for normal use. So is the AF of the original K-5

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-26-2012, 07:45 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Well, it certainly is accurate for normal use. So is the AF of the original K-5
And decisiveness - which many users of the k-30 feel the k-5 lacked. Accuracy and decisiveness will make it the perfect camera for the majority of shooters. Sports will always go to the Nikon/Canon, at least until we get a 40+ point focus system that recognizes and tracks moving objects. 11 points leave too many gaps for sports tracking.

10-26-2012, 07:51 PM   #20
Veteran Member

There's nothing wrong with the lenses, but no, we used 2 separate copies. They've stood the test of time, however, as they get used extensively for all sorts of camera and lens tests. Regardless, tomorrow I'll swap them just in case!
Thanks for the response on that! Will await for the more thorough report. I feel that Pentax has made some quite nice cameras now, and lenses.
10-26-2012, 08:51 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Apparently all the moaning about there being no fancy full frame at Photokina seems to be now put to rest.
This K-5 IIs looks like it's got the goods to put the wind up the big players yet again. I can't wait to buy mine in a couple of years time, when it's at the end of its model run, and therefore, "cheap".

Regards
10-26-2012, 09:16 PM - 2 Likes   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GabrielFFontes Quote
It even makes it look like the K-5 is defective
The only thing that is defective is the comparison.
It starts with completely different lighting conditions and doesn't end with different lenses being used.

Jump to the next comparison and it already is a much closer call. This despite the K-5 shot not having received more capture sharpening. Please, everyone, if you compare an image from a camera with an AA-filter with one from a camera without AA-filter, you always need to apply capture sharpening to the former. The Bayer-AA-filter serves a specific purpose and it's effect must be undone with capture sharpening. Everything else is comparing apples with oranges.

The Canon 7D still dominates the K-5 II/s for action photography in terms of AF accuracy, speed, framerate, and buffer size
What did you do to compare AF accuracy?
It doesn't appear that you had the time to give this comparison the consideration it needs.

10-26-2012, 09:42 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Please, everyone, if you compare an image from a camera with an AA-filter with one from a camera without AA-filter, you always need to apply capture sharpening to the former. The Bayer-AA-filter serves a specific purpose and it's effect must be undone with capture sharpening. Everything else is comparing apples with oranges.
That doesn't make sense to me, how much sharpening? (<-- retorical) If one gets sharpening then they both should or the test is FUBAR.
I'm going to test water purity from the tap and the slough, but I'll add chlorine to the slough water before testing because I can see it's not as clean.
10-26-2012, 09:46 PM   #24
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Jump to the next comparison and it already is a much closer call.
Was also at much closer range (about 20m) rather than 100m.

I don't think the sunlight in the first set has any significance whatsoever. If anything, it would only change white balance, as all shooting parameters were fixed. In any case, there are hundreds of comparative photos that haven't been posted, so we'll be able to say much more once they are.

Adam

10-26-2012, 09:54 PM   #25

Adam. I preordered the K5 II with the 18-135 lens from adorama. I can still change my order for the K5IIs body and buy a separate lens. Is the IIs that much sharper? I'm starting to wonder if there will be any moiré after all with IIs. Please help. Did anyone get both the II and IIs?
10-26-2012, 10:35 PM   #26
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by yomer Quote
Adam. I preordered the K5 II with the 18-135 lens from adorama. I can still change my order for the K5IIs body and buy a separate lens. Is the IIs that much sharper? I'm starting to wonder if there will be any moiré after all with IIs. Please help. Did anyone get both the II and IIs?
The IIs is a lot sharper, yes.

I just spent the past hour trying to find moire on various fabrics. I finally managed to force it to show itself, but TBH, it's hardly noticeable on the final product. If you use your camera primarily outdoors, the chances of seeing moire as slim, and the chances of it ruining your photos are next to none, I would say. I still wouldn't recommend the IIs to the average newbie, but if you're an enthusiast user that knows the risks and knows how to use Photoshop, I personally see no reason not to go for the K-5 IIs if you're going to upgrade from a K-5.

Sample will be posted soon (fabric taken with the K-5 vs K-5 IIs)

Adam

10-26-2012, 10:38 PM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by riff Quote
I'm going to test water purity from the tap and the slough, but I'll add chlorine to the slough water before testing because I can see it's not as clean.
Here's a better analogy: Say you want to make electricity available over a long distance. You figure out that you have less loss by changing the voltage to a very high voltage for the transport. Are you then going to transform the voltage back to low voltage before you compare with the original low voltage electricity or not?

A Bayer AA-filter transforms an image so that colour can be encoded correctly without false colour, moirė or other artifacts. To properly see what has been captured, you need to reverse the blur that was introduced by necessity with capture sharpening. The amount depends on the strength of the AA-filter.

I hope this helps.
10-26-2012, 10:43 PM   #28
Pentaxian

The IIs is a lot sharper, yes.
I believe you answered the question whether you think that the K-5 IIs is sharper than the K-5. However, yomer wanted to know whether the K-5 IIs is sharper than the K-5 II.

I understand that we don't know whether the AA-filter strength may have changed between K-5 and K-5 II.
10-26-2012, 10:55 PM   #29
ogl
Banned

It means that SAFOX X is not revolution in accurancy at all....It's the same SAFOX IX with EV-3....It's sad to hear it...
10-26-2012, 11:03 PM   #30

Thanks for sharing the pics Adam. can you find a place where you can challenge the dynamic range? Something showing the camera handling a bright lit area with some dark areas or shadows. I have a K-r and it is weak in this department and I always have to work around it. Also I wonder how it works with a flash in doors at differene ranges. I use a 360 flash with my k-r and sometimes it is a lot of work and some times it works pretty well. It could be a lot better and I hope the k-5 IIs is much better than the k-r in that department. Can't wait to get a k-5 IIs.

Thanks,
Racerdew