Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-26-2012, 06:59 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
LCD and Viewfinder Info Differing

Hello Pentaxians,

I am a new member. This is my first post except for my "introducing myself" post. I just wanted to mention this to see if anyone else has an idea of why this would happen. When I go shooting with my K-5, in TAV mode, it seems like the LCD ISO reading differs from the ISO reading that I see in my viewfinder. The other settings which I set myself in TAV mode (F-stop and shutter speed) read the same in both screens and when I check my image stats they state the ISO I saw in my viewfinder as the ISO used to shoot the image. Does anyone know why the different readings would appear like that. I started thinking that maybe my software needs an update to coordinate the readings, but am not sure. I actually go along with the viewfinder readings for the ISO and get excellent shots, but am curious why the LCD screen would display a different ISO reading than the viewfinder. Maybe there is no problem, I just would like to find out if there is possibly something I need to configure or if someone else is familiar with this happening. I have used a Sigma 150-500, Pentax 18-55 AL II, and Pentax 55-300 with the camera. I would also like to add that I regard the K-5 as an excellent product.

Thanks,

Casey

10-26-2012, 08:23 PM   #2
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The ISO reading in TAv mode shifts with the light of the scene so if you move the camera between reading the top LCD and reading the viewfinder you may get different results. Also light can enter the viewfinder through the eyepiece when not covered by your eye and affect the measured light. Therefore the ISO could be set to a different value when your eye doesn't cover the VF than the value you see in the VF.

The value on the top LCD shall be the same as in the viewfinder at the same point in time. You could ask a friend to read you the value from the top LCD while you read the value in the viewfinder!
10-27-2012, 07:56 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thank You

Ole,

I was thinking the same as what you told me. I just wanted to make sure it was that basically, and get a second opinion.

Thanks,

Casey