Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-28-2012, 08:40 AM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Yes. Of course. Be more polite, please... Sold K-5 1 month ago.
And did it exhibit the problems you stated? I ask because yours is first K-5 I have heard of having problems of accuracy at all light levels. Sounds like your camera was defective, which is not indicative of all K-5s.

10-28-2012, 08:59 AM   #47
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
And did it exhibit the problems you stated? I ask because yours is first K-5 I have heard of having problems of accuracy at all light levels. Sounds like your camera was defective, which is not indicative of all K-5s.
No. The camera was good. AF was unpredictable
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-30/197362-most-important-questio...ike-k-5-a.html
10-28-2012, 09:13 AM   #48
Veteran Member

Some have noted having to adjust their lens to match the camera, but once it's adjusted, it shouldn't change. Is that what you were experiencing?
10-28-2012, 10:26 AM   #49
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
Some have noted having to adjust their lens to match the camera, but once it's adjusted, it shouldn't change. Is that what you were experiencing?
I'm not alone. Some of Russian Penta-Club's users of K-5 have the same problems...
After service too.

10-28-2012, 02:34 PM   #50
Pentaxian

I've heard that they did it for every camera - full SNR too - to scale every sensor to 8MP.
Just compare the "Full SNR" numbers at 18% with the unscaled "SNR 18%" numbers. They match. In other words, the "Full SNR" numbers are not scaled and therefore not directly usable to compare image quality.

Didn't you hear that K-5 is noisy camera in shadows?
On the contrary.
The Sony sensor used in the K-5 is still class leading in terms of noise performance.
This has not only been measured but also visually demonstrated numerous times.
10-28-2012, 07:16 PM   #51
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
ogl, are you saying that the noise performance haven't significantly evolved? I know that my K-5 is lightyears ahead of my old K-7 and I got visual proof of it. Also, when it comes to testing the AF of the K-5 tests conclude that it is as pretty consistent and precise as long as you stay away from tungsten lighting. Although compared to other systems the K-5 got a "dumb" one that works with very well with stationary subjects but bad to only decent when it comes to tracking, but it works for me.
10-28-2012, 07:34 PM   #52
Veteran Member

Has anyone seen this video?

Well, with the K-5 II / K-5 IIs, we can finally say that this sort of poor AF performance in low light is history. The new AF system will easily outperform that decades-old Canon EOS 700...

--DragonLord

10-28-2012, 09:54 PM   #53
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DragonLord Quote
Has anyone seen this video?
What's the point of that Youtube link you posted? -

(a) it features a K-7, not a K-5, which is what this thread is about;

(b) it shows that focus is successfully achieved with the K-7, so NO AF failure;

(c) it only shows that the K-7 is a bit slower than the Canon, but no surprises there as the Pentax lens is screw-drive and the Canon lens is USM, and the Canon lens has a shorter focus throw as well by the look of things.

(d) it's a two year old video from a guy with a history of bitchy ill-informed comments about Pentax.

Seriously. Given the right settings someone could probably set up a test showing an old Pentax ME-F beating a Canon 5D3's AF if they wanted to, and post a Youtube video about it. But would it really prove anything at all?
10-28-2012, 09:58 PM   #54
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
What's the point of that Youtube link you posted? -

(a) it features a K-7, not a K-5, which is what this thread is about;

(b) it shows that focus is successfully achieved with the K-7, so NO AF failure;

(c) it only shows that the K-7 is a bit slower than the Canon, but no surprises there as the Pentax lens is screw-drive and the Canon lens is USM, and the Canon lens has a shorter focus throw as well by the look of things.

(d) it's a two year old video from a guy with a history of bitchy ill-informed comments about Pentax.

Seriously. Given the right settings someone could probably set up a test showing an old Pentax ME-F beating a Canon 5D3's AF if they wanted to, and post a Youtube video about it.
Regarding points 1 and 2 - I think he means it to show ogl that it isn't just the k-5 that suffers at low-light AF - perhaps not the best video to show this, but I do agree. My k-x definitely slows down at low-light, and reaches its limit at 0EV. If the k-5IIs can go down to -1EV and hit 100%, and still lock on stuff at -2EV/-3EV, that's fantastic.
10-28-2012, 10:06 PM   #55
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
I think he means it to show ogl that it isn't just the k-5 that suffers at low-light AF
Well, the video in question wasn't even shot in low-light - it was EV4. The same dude on Youtube does post a Canon vs Pentax K-7 low-light AF video (where the AF-assist light is used in the test LOL), and even in that video the Pentax AF still works and gets a lock 100%.

It's all too silly.
10-28-2012, 10:34 PM   #56
Veteran Member

My point is that Pentax AF doesn't need to be seen as slow any more, because it isn't slow any more.

--DragonLord
10-29-2012, 03:18 AM   #57
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DragonLord Quote
My point is that Pentax AF doesn't need to be seen as slow any more, because it isn't slow any more.

--DragonLord
I agree entirley. The K5 is quick enough and always has been. I have the D300 and K5 and I am often switching between the two. The D300 focus system is second to none. When I switch cameras I have never once left feeling I was waiting speed wise with the K5. Yes I am aware the D300 is faster but its not so much faster that you are left lagging with the K5. You dont really notice it. The K5 had three problems with its autofocus which I really hated. Two have been put right and thats a huge improvement.
Speed however was never a problem. It may not be the fastest but I would still describe it as fast. Only the big sensor problem remains now. Thats a lot easier to live with now that the rest seems to be perfect.
10-29-2012, 04:27 AM   #58
Inactive Account

I'm just interested in accuracy. I don't care about AF-C with Pentax.
I just want accuracy. I think if this is fixed then all is good with me.
If not? Wait until the next round or sell out.
07-25-2013, 11:11 AM   #59

my two cent

10.000 ... di LorenzoTeds, su Flickr
07-25-2013, 11:35 AM   #60
Veteran Member

1/20s, F2.4, ISO 10,000. Looks like between 0 and 1 EV based on settings. Of course, it depends a little on what the meter was seeing.