Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-26-2012, 10:56 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Issue with K5 IIs preorder

My K5 IIs has been on preorder, through Pentax, for weeks now. With the announcement several days ago that B&H had received and is now shipping the new camera, I became excited that I would soon get a shipping confirmation and thereafter see my camera arrive in the mail.
However, not only have I not been notified of the new camera (and DA* 55mm lens) shipment, but on Pentax's webstore site, it states that the IIs is still "Available for Preorder". What gives? Not only have I had an incredibly horrible experience with their customer service (applying the DOUBLE lens rebate with purchase of DSLR), but now this. What gives?

10-26-2012, 11:22 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Why not order from B&H or another trusted retailer? They're usually the first to get stuff, now that the Pentax web store has been outsourced...

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

10-26-2012, 11:39 PM   #3

Original Poster
I would normally agree with that idea, but Pentax has an offer of DOUBLE rebate on specified lenses (the DA* 55mm being one of them) with purchase of DSLR. However, I think next time, if there is a next time, I will order through someone like B&H. The issues I've had dealing with getting Pentax and "Pentax Webstore" to be in sync with each other has been, shall we say, rather disappointing.
10-26-2012, 11:52 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by photovast Quote
I would normally agree with that idea, but Pentax has an offer of DOUBLE rebate on specified lenses (the DA* 55mm being one of them) with purchase of DSLR. However, I think next time, if there is a next time, I will order through someone like B&H. The issues I've had dealing with getting Pentax and "Pentax Webstore" to be in sync with each other has been, shall we say, rather disappointing.
Out of curiosity, how much did you end up paying for that lens? It's $549 at B&H if you call them, and the bundle savings still apply on top of that.

Adam

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

10-27-2012, 05:10 AM   #5
gtl
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Out of curiosity, how much did you end up paying for that lens? It's $549 at B&H if you call them, and the bundle savings still apply on top of that.
Oh, it so cheap now? I thought it was $649 before rebates. Anyway don't the double rebates apply for B&H as well if you buy a DSLR from them?
10-27-2012, 06:59 AM   #6

Original Poster
Price:$796.95
Instant Savings:$75.00
Offer ends DEC 31 '12
You Pay: $721.95

This is what's listed on their website. Calling them is a bit of a hassle for me as I'm currently deployed to Afghanistan. But you're saying they'll honor the double rebate??
10-27-2012, 09:54 AM   #7
gtl
Veteran Member

Assuming they only honor a single rebate, it's still 649 less 75. 574 bucks. Versus 721. Try getting a friend back home someone to call to enquire?
10-27-2012, 12:18 PM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by photovast Quote
This is what's listed on their website. Calling them is a bit of a hassle for me as I'm currently deployed to Afghanistan. But you're saying they'll honor the double rebate??
Phone and in-store prices are much lower than what's on their web site for most premium Pentax lenses due to Pentax's silly pricing policies. For example, the DA* 16-50mm is $824 after rebate in store and over the phone, but $1424 online.

Adam

10-27-2012, 03:14 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

Phone and in-store prices are much lower than what's on their web site for most premium Pentax lenses due to Pentax's silly pricing policies. For example, the DA* 16-50mm is $824 after rebate in store and over the phone, but $1424 online.
I did not know that. I was looking at the DA* 200mm and sort of cringed at the online price. I guess I'll call them from now on.

Larry
10-27-2012, 03:15 PM   #10

Photos: Gallery
B&H needs to update their stated pricing policy then. Currently, their policy says: "At B&H, while we abide by our MAP agreements, our lowest selling price is always what you pay." If lower prices are commonly available by phone-in vs. online ordering, then we should always call their sales desk before completing any online order. Other online buyers must wonder if they could have got a better price if they had called first.
10-27-2012, 07:03 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JayBee Quote
B&H needs to update their stated pricing policy then. Currently, their policy says: "At B&H, while we abide by our MAP agreements, our lowest selling price is always what you pay." If lower prices are commonly available by phone-in vs. online ordering, then we should always call their sales desk before completing any online order. Other online buyers must wonder if they could have got a better price if they had called first.
Boy, you're not kidding! If Pentax hasn't shipped by Monday, I'll cancel with them and call B&H. I wish I knew about this pricing issue before!
10-29-2012, 01:04 AM   #12
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by JayBee Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by larryinlc Quote
I did not know that. I was looking at the DA* 200mm and sort of cringed at the online price. I guess I'll call them from now on.
Glad I was able to make you guys aware of this I hear that there are working with Pentax to try to change this policy, as they're the ones who came up with it in the first place.

Adam