Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-27-2012, 05:02 AM   #1

K5 focus issues ...

I am deciding between a used K5 and a new K30. Both appear to be fantastic cameras and each seem to have advantages. The one thing that keeps coming up though is the inconsistent AF behavior of the K5.

Is it really that much of a problem in everyday use?

Thanks.

10-27-2012, 05:32 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jeffryscott Quote
Certainy not - I shoot low light gigs, birds, landscapes, some events/sports, with a variety of lense types (telephoto, wides, zooms) and technologies (SDM, HSM, screw-drive). There are hits and misses, of course, but as usual AF success depends a lot on technique and timing.

I don't however use AF.C, and only rarely switch away from centre-spot AF, so my K-5 AF usage style may impact my good results and be different from others.
10-27-2012, 06:11 AM   #3
Veteran Member

It has some focus problem with accuracy when it comes to low light, i don't have much problems with it though if any.
The mkII should not have these problems but it's more expensive.
10-27-2012, 06:37 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It depends largely on what you shoot. Its mostly in ambient light conditions where it often will miss focus. Both cameras have the same large autofocus points, which with when used in consideration do not cause much of a problem. It is quite capable of shooting in fairly low light even. As you can see from this one I took the other night.

This was taken on the K5 with Tamron 17-50 fitted at 6400 ISO

10-27-2012, 07:35 AM   #5
ogl
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jeffryscott Quote
I am deciding between a used K5 and a new K30. Both appear to be fantastic cameras and each seem to have advantages. The one thing that keeps coming up though is the inconsistent AF behavior of the K5.

Thanks.
Yes. See here
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-30/197362-most-important-questio...ike-k-5-a.html
10-27-2012, 09:20 AM   #6

Hi Jeffry,
I purchased a K5 last July as an upgrade to my K20d.
So far I have no problems with the auto focus in either low light or normal light. This afternoon I read you post with interest, and decided to take a shot at this photo frame that just happens to be sitting in the bookcase. We are in the middle of a hailstorm and the bookcase is in a dark area of the room, therefor the room is lit with tungsten lights. I have the camera on a tripod. The shutter speed is 1/8 sec. - aperture f7.1 - ISO 80 and camera set to jpegs. Lens 18-55 WR kit lens.
First image is resized to 1200 X 795 for the web and given a small amount of sharpening.
Second image is a 100% crop taken from the original and then given the same amount of sharpening.
I make no claim to be an expert, but the K5 achieves this type of focus accuracy about 90% of the time and does all I ask of it. BTW. I have the camera set on center point auto focus.
Hope this helps you and good luck with whatever you go for. Please post some pics.
Richard.

Last edited by Richard Spencer; 10-27-2012 at 09:26 AM.