Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-31-2012, 03:41 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Thanks to you all for your helpful replies. RobG, my photography background is on the amateur side, owned a film SLR, but no DSLR. For the last three years I've been using Lumix LX3, but my friend is a Pentax fan (K20D - K7- K5). And I am always impressed by the IQ of his shots when we travel together.

Thanks for your recommendation of K30. dpreview just posted a nice review of K30 (Pentax K-30 Review: Digital Photography Review). Now It's even harder for me to decide....K30, K5, K5 II? I'll go to a store to have a feel of K30. If it doesn't feel cheap, I may go for it to save some money.

10-31-2012, 06:05 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by David L Quote
Thanks to you all for your helpful replies. RobG, my photography background is on the amateur side, owned a film SLR, but no DSLR. For the last three years I've been using Lumix LX3, but my friend is a Pentax fan (K20D - K7- K5). And I am always impressed by the IQ of his shots when we travel together.

Thanks for your recommendation of K30. dpreview just posted a nice review of K30 (Pentax K-30 Review: Digital Photography Review). Now It's even harder for me to decide....K30, K5, K5 II? I'll go to a store to have a feel of K30. If it doesn't feel cheap, I may go for it to save some money.
I have a K200 which I still use. There's some features which I miss on the K200 which I'm used to on the K7, but that's my point in a way - I'm used to them from the K7. For example, the K7 allows me to bias the program mode for shutter speed or aperture, but they are specific modes on the K200 (e.g. Sports mode). I would suggest that the K30 would be an excellent camera for you and has new generation hardware and features which don't exist on the K5 series. I haven't heard anyone complaining that the K30 feels cheap!

Last edited by RobG; 10-31-2012 at 07:20 PM.
10-31-2012, 08:04 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by southlander Quote
At those prices, I'd take the K-5 + 18-135 deals on offer rather than a K-5 II. The K-5 IIs is something of a step up, but Pentax is not doing lens inclusive deals with it unfortunately.
That is because the IIs requires good quality (fast) lenses to maximize the resolution advantage. A standard kit lens would not be appropriate for the IIs.

David
10-31-2012, 10:29 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by David Quote
That is because the IIs requires good quality (fast) lenses to maximize the resolution advantage. A standard kit lens would not be appropriate for the IIs.

David
Agreed that a good lenses will be needed to exploit the best of the camera, but personally I'd also like to see a package pricing offer so I can acquire an 18-135 for environments are not conducive to swapping lens about. I'm a potential upgrader from a K-x and have no WR zooms currently. If I were Pentax, if offering lens packages with the IIs enticed a few more sales, why not do it. It otherwise makes the jump from other package alternatives to a K-5 IIs with separate WR zoom purchase rather a large leap financially. I would agree that offering the 18-55 kit zooms with the IIs is rather pointless, but packages with some of Pentax's better zooms I would suggest would be attractive for those coming from older or lower spec Pentax cameras, or those thinking of a switch to Pentax.

11-01-2012, 12:56 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I agree with you Southlander in most respects. The K-5II seems to be the elephant in the room. I wonder what Pentax's sales expectations are between the II and IIs. I suspect they would think that IIs buyers are, in the main, adding a second body and will go their own way with glass. It would be an interesting poll for the forum.

I had been considering a second K-5 body for sometime to replace a K20D so when the IIs was announced it was a no brainer for me and as you can see I already have some good glass. The other question is whether you would want a IIs only in your camera bag? If I was advising a first buyer on a camera purchase it wouldn't be a IIs. In fact I am advising a cousin with a 200D to go K-5 for what he wants to do, in that respect I agree with Adam's summation in the quick review.

So I guess a bundled II is/should be Pentax's marketing strategy and leave the IIs people to pick and choose their lenses. I will be interested to keep track of high end older Pentax glass and see whether the IIs spikes a supply and demand increase in asking prices. I find myself looking closely at the older fast SMC 85mm range now that the IIs is on the way ,LBA strikes again.

Regards,

David
11-01-2012, 08:21 AM   #21

I decided to go with the k30 after having it in my hands. After using a friends 650d the new tech really impressed me, live view and video modes etc. My aa-less photography lies further ahead in the future it seems!
11-01-2012, 05:31 PM   #22
Veteran Member

I just wish the shipment gets here soon.

My k-7's focus has been dodgy and will have to get it serviced.
A K5IIs would be a great 'backup' body
11-02-2012, 01:25 AM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bibz Quote
I decided to go with the k30 after having it in my hands. After using a friends 650d the new tech really impressed me, live view and video modes etc. My aa-less photography lies further ahead in the future it seems!
Congratulations on your new camera!

11-02-2012, 01:27 AM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by xhanatos Quote
I just wish the shipment gets here soon.
My k-7's focus has been dodgy and will have to get it serviced.
A K5IIs would be a great 'backup' body
In what way is the K7 focus "dodgy"? The reason I ask is that the AF on my K7 has also become unreliable. I've mostly gone back to my K200 which focuses much more reliably. It's sad because there's a lot of features on the K7 which I have become used to and prefer. I'm guessing I'll have to wait a couple of weeks for the arrival of the K5iis.
11-04-2012, 04:08 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
In what way is the K7 focus "dodgy"? The reason I ask is that the AF on my K7 has also become unreliable. I've mostly gone back to my K200 which focuses much more reliably. It's sad because there's a lot of features on the K7 which I have become used to and prefer. I'm guessing I'll have to wait a couple of weeks for the arrival of the K5iis.
Dodgy as in everything is soft. I think the sensor might have shifted or the AF totally carked it. Even when I'm using manual focus with focus confirm beep, the shots are soft, almost like someone smeared a thin coat of vaseline on the sensor. [edit: yes, I've used the micro adjustment but to no avail]

I've been using my K10D and the K7's been sitting in the cupboard for the past 5 months I'm glad I purchased a 5 year extended warranty!
11-04-2012, 04:30 PM   #26
Pentaxian

Even when I'm using manual focus with focus confirm beep, the shots are soft
That doesn't sound right. Turn off all the AF distractions (beeps, illuminated AF points etc) for a while and test manual focus just by eye. You may also have a dirty or dislodged focus screen. Confirm any viewfinder tests via LV focussing, to see which system of the camera may be contributing to the softness.

Otherwise, just send it to CRK for a clean and check. Better than it just sitting in a cupboard.
11-04-2012, 07:12 PM   #27
Pentaxian

Dodgy as in everything is soft. I think the sensor might have shifted or the AF totally carked it. Even when I'm using manual focus with focus confirm beep, the shots are soft, almost like someone smeared a thin coat of vaseline on the sensor. [edit: yes, I've used the micro adjustment but to no avail]
I've been using my K10D and the K7's been sitting in the cupboard for the past 5 months I'm glad I purchased a 5 year extended warranty!
Wish I had a 5 year warranty. The issue with my K7 seems to be different - for example yesterday while attempting to photograph a forest, I couldn't get it to lock on anything. About the only thing it would lock on was the high contrast line between the dark hills and the sky. Having said that, I have had photos where the camera claims to have an AF lock but the photos are soft - and the DA 16-45 is not a soft lens. In your case it sounds like every shot is soft, not just some.
11-05-2012, 12:15 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
IIs Arrival

Reference my original post about Gerry Gibbs Camera Warehouse in Perth. I queried CRK re the warranty and supply date. The answer was that CRK supply Gerry Gibbs so the warranty is OK and that they expect supplies "in a week". So seven+ more sleeps!

David
11-05-2012, 01:31 AM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by David Quote
Reference my original post about Gerry Gibbs Camera Warehouse in Perth. I queried CRK re the warranty and supply date. The answer was that CRK supply Gerry Gibbs so the warranty is OK and that they expect supplies "in a week". So seven+ more sleeps!
Hopefully camerastore.com.au will get their stock at the same time!
11-05-2012, 10:05 PM   #30

Gerry Gibbs is quite a nice camera store. I have bought some lenses from them in the past, and I would consider them as one of the better camera stores in WA.
And I know they only carry Aus stocks only.