Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
11-15-2012, 09:06 PM   #46

Photos: Gallery
Digital Camera Warehouse - Sydney, Melbourne & Brisbane Stores have the K5 11s on there site for $1197 body only, I have used them online a few times and find them to be reliable.

11-20-2012, 04:17 AM   #47
Forum Member

So far I'm happy with my K-5 with 18-135 lens. Now I'd like to add DA 55-300, but cannot find a good price from Australian online stores. I'm thinking to buy it from DWI ($349) on ebay, or B&H online. Any suggestions will be much appreciated!
11-20-2012, 04:31 AM   #48
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by David L Quote
So far I'm happy with my K-5 with 18-135 lens. Now I'd like to add DA 55-300, but cannot find a good price from Australian online stores. I'm thinking to buy it from DWI ($349) on ebay, or B&H online. Any suggestions will be much appreciated!
I can not speak highly enough of B&H (or Adorama for that matter). I would recommend buying a DSLR body or SDM lens from an Australian store, but the DA55-300 presents minimal risk.
11-20-2012, 01:45 PM   #49
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

See if Camerastore.com.au would price match the B&H price. It's worth a try. I bought my DA 55-300 in Japan so unfortunately I can't help much on this one. Australian stores ought to be competitive with the AUD higher than the USD.

11-20-2012, 03:05 PM   #50

I bought a K5. body only, from DWI in Australia, and it cost $889 au. But after paypal took their cut on the exchange rate and their fees, it ended up $906;. delivered. But that means that I have no Australian warranty.
11-20-2012, 04:24 PM   #51
Forum Member

Thanks to you all for your advice. This lens is not listed on Camerastore.com.au. I ordered it plus a Hoya UV filter on last night from B&H for AS394 including shipping cost, and B&H just emailed me that the lens has been shipped.
11-20-2012, 05:47 PM   #52
Veteran Member

Thanks to you all for your advice. This lens is not listed on Camerastore.com.au. I ordered it plus a Hoya UV filter on last night from B&H for AS394 including shipping cost, and B&H just emailed me that the lens has been shipped.
Another vote of confidence for B&H. The 55-300 was the first of err several lenses I got from them.

Fast delivery too with ups B&H-ups-JFK-SDF-HNL-MEL-ups-your house is about 3days with the biggest delay in the last step.

11-20-2012, 06:46 PM   #53
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

They will have access to all Pentax lenses through CR Kennedy. Even if they don't list a Pentax product, give them a call and ask - they have a 1800 number.
11-21-2012, 04:02 AM   #54
Veteran Member

Picked up my K5 11s from DCW last monday there about the few stores that stock Pentax at a reasonable price most places charge RRP for pentax gear , Found their lenses a bit much but i brought all my DA * lenses from forum members or from ebay used for less than half new price and had no problems with them at all , so far K5 11s looks good IQ, cant say that i notice to much difference from my K5 for the rest , Seems to focus better with my manual lenses as well which i am happy about and get to test it at a wedding on the weekend so should be a good test .
11-21-2012, 04:09 AM   #55
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I tried to get aliasing by photographing a shirt which has a fine pattern and I did get a subtle pattern of colour shifts. I'm thinking perhaps I should try using live view to see if the LCD shows up a point where aliasing is bad. Luckily I don't do much people photography - out in nature, the resolution of the K5iis is awesome!

PS I just tried using live view - there does seem to be a point where colour aliasing is obvious in the LCD but it doesn't seem to translate to the final jpg image from the camera. I just tried opening the raw image and discovered that Paintshop Pro has no clue how to process it - the colours are completely wrong. I'll need to use the Pentax software to convert the RAW images from the K5iis to a format that PSP can use. The colour aliasing seems more obvious in the raw image. I'm still not concerned by this, because the shirt is the kind of thing I would expect to cause aliasing.

Last edited by RobG; 11-21-2012 at 04:29 AM. Reason: more info
11-21-2012, 04:50 PM   #56
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
I just tried opening the raw image and discovered that Paintshop Pro has no clue how to process it - the colours are completely wrong. I'll need to use the Pentax software to convert the RAW images from the K5iis to a format that PSP can use.
Do you use .pef or .dng?
11-21-2012, 04:57 PM   #57
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by xhanatos Quote
Do you use .pef or .dng?
PEF. It works fine with the K-7 and K-200. The PEF raw file from the K-5iis actually results in red being mapped as blue! I was going to try DNG to see if it makes a difference. The Pentax utility allows me to export an image to TIFF which I can then edit.
11-21-2012, 11:53 PM   #58
Veteran Member

I tried to get aliasing by photographing a shirt which has a fine pattern and I did get a subtle pattern of colour shifts. I'm thinking perhaps I should try using live view to see if the LCD shows up a point where aliasing is bad. Luckily I don't do much people photography - out in nature, the resolution of the K5iis is awesome!

PS I just tried using live view - there does seem to be a point where colour aliasing is obvious in the LCD but it doesn't seem to translate to the final jpg image from the camera. I just tried opening the raw image and discovered that Paintshop Pro has no clue how to process it - the colours are completely wrong. I'll need to use the Pentax software to convert the RAW images from the K5iis to a format that PSP can use. The colour aliasing seems more obvious in the raw image. I'm still not concerned by this, because the shirt is the kind of thing I would expect to cause aliasing.

I use DNG and lightroom seems to work really well, I noticed that the colors on the LCD on K5 11s are not as natural as the K5 but come up ok on lightroom, so far the photos i have taken of people seem be ok but have not had any fine color patterns which may be different
11-22-2012, 02:02 AM   #59
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dragon132312 Quote
I use DNG and lightroom seems to work really well, I noticed that the colors on the LCD on K5 11s are not as natural as the K5 but come up ok on lightroom, so far the photos i have taken of people seem be ok but have not had any fine color patterns which may be different
Thanks, I'll try DNG and see if it eliminates the issue in PSP... done. Yes, it does. The downside is that I don't get Explorer thumbnails in Windows if I use DNG, and I get a security warning when opening a DNG file. :P

Last edited by RobG; 11-22-2012 at 04:45 AM. Reason: more info
11-22-2012, 05:35 AM   #60
Veteran Member

Thanks, I'll try DNG and see if it eliminates the issue in PSP... done. Yes, it does. The downside is that I don't get Explorer thumbnails in Windows if I use DNG, and I get a security warning when opening a DNG file. :P
Adobe - DNG Codec : For Windows : Adobe DNG Codec 2.0

This works for me, I can see Explorer thumbnails for my pentax k-5 iis dng files.