Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
11-13-2012, 11:44 AM   #76
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
That being said, things really seems worst at lower resolutions, and so I'm thinking I could live a D800E
+1, would love to see that the version above the k5 mkII would be 24+ MP without AA standard.

12-25-2012, 11:43 AM   #77
Inactive Account

I have being a Photographer for 42 years.
First as fashion whit my big Pentax 6X7 perfect
After in the late 80 for sport whit my Canon F1 for the Expo baseball team of Montreal After with F3 Nikon for sport,and landscaping, and wedding In the 90 Food photography with the amazing lense Carl Zeiss with my Contax RTS II and III Now after a brake of 8 years i am back with my fist love Pentax K7, K5 IIs teaching for many years In Universitythere are build like a tank like my old leica M6
01-22-2013, 08:59 PM   #78
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Using the K5 for sports

The latest k-5 / k-5ll/ k-5lls review repeatedly says that the K-5 series are not a good choice for sports photography. I disagree. Your problem is with the autofocus. Then don't use it. I earned a living, briefly, photographing sports -- before there was autofocus, and I still prefer to focus manually. I have the ideal camera, too: compact, rugged, ergonomically superb, weather sealed and reliable, with a lot of beautiful glass to choose from. Using manual focusing while following, say, a soccer match, is akin to driving with a gearbox rather than an automatic transmission. The auto setting may be sub-par, but the K-5 is an excellent camera for sports photography.
01-22-2013, 09:02 PM   #79
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
As always, a very nicely written review - to the point and easy to understand without going too deep into unneeded details.

The only question is.....why you use a lens that has been discontinued for years for the image samples. Wouldn't a better comparison be with a lens that is currently available from Pentax?
why? The point is the comparison. So long as it is the same lens, why not use one of the very best, whether still made or not?

01-24-2013, 01:47 PM   #80

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am very happy with my K-5 IIs. it takes awesome pictures! It really is a well thought out machine. Before this I was using my K-r and very happy with the K-r. Last week I picked up the K-r for a birthday party and quickly noticed the difference between the two cameras. The contols and buttons on the k-5 are much better. The pictures quality is much better on the k-5 IIs. The k-r is a great camera, but the k-5 is king. I have noticed it takes longer to process the 16.3 MP pictures over the 12.4 pictures from the K-r. My Sony Vio doesn't like the larger files. On some outings I will dial the k-5 IIs back to 10 MP and the quality is still great and faster to process. Most of the time I am using the full 16.3 MP and they are superb.
The sharpness is fun and amazing. Now I can focus on lighting and getting the shot because I have the best tool in it's class.

The photos I have attached have all been post processed. I take photos for real estate so they have to have as much full light as possible. Taking pictues of large rooms with a 10-24 MM lense wide open gives me plenty of room for errors and obstacles to over come in a a short time.

Thanks,
Racerdew

Last edited by Racerdew; 01-04-2015 at 07:56 PM.
03-21-2013, 06:29 PM   #81
Inactive Account

Am I on the wrong Thread? I thought this was a K-5 IIs Review Thread!
Well, bought mine and plumped for a Pentax 55-300 lens just to try it out with. Lens pretty good for a "cheapy"; but what I'd expect from a name like Pentax, being an "old hand" from Spotmatic and Takamur days!

Camera has real potential, sharp imaging, light weight and.... well, that's about it really. The body needs a re-design, buttons moving, etcetera, and the damned thing kept freezing up on me on my first day (Firmware updated to 1.3 but a couple of accidental button presses may have done it - too darned easy to hit the buttons, and i only have small hands!) Come on Pentax, I was hoping to "switch" my DSLR brand and the IIs gave me good cause, but first day's experience is not a good start! Just awaiting a good reply to decide whether I keep or return it! :-/
03-21-2013, 06:53 PM   #82
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Old_Taoist Quote
Am I on the wrong Thread? I thought this was a K-5 IIs Review Thread!
Well, bought mine and plumped for a Pentax 55-300 lens just to try it out with. Lens pretty good for a "cheapy"; but what I'd expect from a name like Pentax, being an "old hand" from Spotmatic and Takamur days!

Camera has real potential, sharp imaging, light weight and.... well, that's about it really. The body needs a re-design, buttons moving, etcetera, and the damned thing kept freezing up on me on my first day (Firmware updated to 1.3 but a couple of accidental button presses may have done it - too darned easy to hit the buttons, and i only have small hands!) Come on Pentax, I was hoping to "switch" my DSLR brand and the IIs gave me good cause, but first day's experience is not a good start! Just awaiting a good reply to decide whether I keep or return it! :-/
I'd recommend starting a separate topic about the freezing issue. Was your battery fully charged?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-22-2013, 04:53 AM   #83
Veteran Member

When the lens is not fitted correctly it can also act funny.
03-22-2013, 02:50 PM   #84
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I'd recommend starting a separate topic about the freezing issue. Was your battery fully charged?
Yes, at least that's what the camera said!
03-29-2013, 11:50 AM   #85
Inactive Account

Update: Had the camera a week or more now. The 'Firmware' is updated to 1.4, as mentioned elsewhere, and I have used both the 18-55 lens and the 55-300 lenses; both good value, light and easy with very quick (if noisy) AF.

The "FREEZE" issue is the biggest problem here and I am really hoping that Pentax will pull out their fingers and get an updated 1.4 to fix this issue a.s.a.p.; otherwise I'll get a refund and buy another Canon! Inserted a freshly charged battery yesterday and went to use it today and the blasted thing froze on me again, this time for no aparent reason; only went to focus! By the time I faffed around taking the battery out and reinserting it, then switching on again the subject had flown away!

The Thumb-grip is definitely uncomfortable and the angle of the "ridge" is all wrong! My hands are not huge and I find most other cameras "normal" to hold in thei respect, including "Bridge" cameras and the likes.
04-03-2013, 05:42 AM   #86
Inactive Account

K-5 IIs Update

The Big Freeze!
Not just a UK weather problem. I seems that many people are having "freeze" or "lock-up" issues with Pentax Cameras, from K-30 to K-5, II & IIs, even with a 645D. Why? Common sense tells me that there must be a common thread; e.g. processing engine or the likes?

Either way, many people report that they either get no answers (or aplogies) from Pentax, repairs take a long time and they are put to inconvenience and added expense after already forking out for what I'd call "overpriced consumer garbage" anyway. Why do I say that? Because we get the proverbial arse-end of technology that is old hat, compared to space science or military useage, and then we have to pay excorbitant prices for the "privelage"... and then we are expected, it seems, by the camera companies, to help them out, sit back and do nothing (can't do much when your camera's in repair for weeks/months anyway) and smile when they send us a potentially dodgy replacement? No!

The K-5 IIs has got potential. However, for the price and the aggrevation, the lack of decent long lenses and the minor differences in image quaility between that and my Canon 60D I am going to have to resign myself to keeping what I have got; originally I thought I'd gain sharper images with lighter camera body, but the IQ is "negligable" and erradicated by the hassle of constant camera freeze - resulting in missed shots. It's goingback for a full refund and I shall not be trusting Pentax again - or the biased reviews!
04-03-2013, 06:15 AM   #87
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Old_Taoist Quote
I seems that many people are having "freeze" or "lock-up" issues with Pentax Cameras, from K-30 to K-5, II & IIs, even with a 645D.
IIRC, it is a motherboard issue.

Your camera is faulty and all you'd need to do is to have it repaired under warranty.
The vast majority of users don't have any freeze issues.

There is really no reason to accuse Pentax of selling trash to you. Give them at least a chance of putting it right and if they stuff up, you can still be mad at them.
04-09-2013, 09:23 PM   #88
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Here's a shining review of the K-5 IIs:
Pentax K-5 IIs Digital SLR Review
04-10-2013, 12:49 PM   #89
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Here's a shining review of the K-5 IIs:
Pentax K-5 IIs Digital SLR Review
High praise indeed
I am kind of disappointed he used mediocre lenses though and not a really sharp prime.
04-10-2013, 03:04 PM   #90
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That's right. In fact, the best justification for picking up a IIs is for it to be paired up with the sharpest of lenses.