Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-29-2012, 11:08 PM   #1

k5IIs came with a sliver! -- metal filing in card slot... help

The batteries had charged on the new k5IIs and I was getting it set up. I've read a lot about problems with the K5. So when it was difficult to get the card in & out, I was annoyed, but I remembered it being problematic. So I just practiced a couple of time and it got harder and harder to do until the card seemed to get stuck. And this wasn't the kind of stuck of not being able to get your fingers around it. I had to pull fairly hard and the memory card came out with a loose piece of metal hanging out of it.

I thought at first the San disk card had come apart. But the metal sliver about a 1/4 of an inch long pulled out of the card and nothing seemed missing from the card.

I put the card back in and the k5 reported a card error. I took the card out and put it back in my K-x and it worked perfectly. Now the K5 is just going haywire. the top LCD is blinking and the back LCD won't go on at all.

I pull the battery out for a second. Put the battery back in and the card and camera appear to be working. I took 3 pictures on the card and transferred them to my computer.

Is it common for K5's to come with slivers? Would you accept a camera like this?

Thanks for reading this.

10-29-2012, 11:22 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Exchange it. That isn't normal.
10-29-2012, 11:30 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Same, take it back.

The last thing you want is the sliver (or others) to become dislodged and short out something inside the camera making it into an expensive paperweight.
10-29-2012, 11:54 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've never heard of this, so yeah, try to get another one.

Perhaps Pentax has started making early preparations for a special edition silver model? tongue

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-30-2012, 12:03 AM   #5

Original Poster
you meant special edition ** sliver ** model?

Now, Adam, I have to face whether or not to get the K5IIs or K5 again. Damn it, I appreciate your reviews, but they influence me too much and you seem to have lost a lot of enthusiasm for the K5lls focus.

My situation is that I do a LOT of low light shooting but I don't have any lenses faster than 2.8 -- Maybe that is why I have never really had focus problems with the K100d or kx except when there was clearly too little light and then I just focused manually. I don't really understand if the K5 focus in low and colored light is inferior to the Kx.

Last edited by close-enough; 10-30-2012 at 02:20 PM.
10-30-2012, 12:52 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I just have to ask.. how did you remove the SD card? Did you push it in until it bounced out, or did you just grab it and pulled until it gave way?
10-30-2012, 01:26 AM   #7

As for me I never remove my card. I got a SanDisk SecureDigital SDHC eXtreme Pro 16GB and I always download the photos directly from the K-5 to the computer. If I took more photos I'd probably buy a 32GB just so that I'd not need to remove the memory card.

10-30-2012, 01:33 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Na Horuk is right
The card is removed by PUSHING it in, not pulling it out. It sounds like you pulled it so hard you've broken it.
10-30-2012, 05:17 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by calsan Quote
It sounds like you pulled it so hard you've broken it.
Sounds like it. If it went in easy, it should have come out easy.

The K-5 does hang onto it's SD cards more firmly than the K-x. Takes some adapting to that. But the basic technique of push-to-eject remains the same.
10-30-2012, 08:26 AM   #10

Original Poster
As I have had a Pentax DSLR since 2006, I very familiar with the mechanism. I removed it by pushing it in. When I had pull harder than I should have had to pull if it was functioning normally, it was a third out or more.

Last edited by close-enough; 10-30-2012 at 08:58 AM.
10-30-2012, 08:51 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by close-enough Quote
I very familiar with the mechanism
OK, sorry to presume. But it seems a very uncommon problem.

Just send it back for repair or exchange.
10-30-2012, 09:00 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sounds like perhaps the card reader had a defect and the sliver you pulled out was one of the spring terminals that slides over the card connections.
Send that camera back.
10-30-2012, 12:46 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Yep... looks like perhaps one of the contacts bent and got lodged in between the two sides of the SD cards, and then the OP pulled it out, ripped the contact out. Just a theory.
10-30-2012, 01:30 PM   #14

Original Poster
Yes, crew1. The piece that came out looks just like one of those spring terminals.

Thank you, so much. This resolves all my doubts. However, it does nothing to resolve the hurricane I have to return this through (to B&H)
10-31-2012, 06:10 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by close-enough Quote
However, it does nothing to resolve the hurricane I have to return this through (to B&H)
B&H is supposed to reopen today, and UPS is supposed to start servicing NYC again today. That said, I am sure things will be slow getting in and out of the city for a while.