Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-31-2012, 10:47 PM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
He has a number of K-mount lenses, two of which are very nice (DA* 16-50mm f/2.8, DA* 50-135mm f/2.8), he loves Pentax, and his only concern is a clicking sound in K-5 videos (which is a non-issue, if you properly transcode K-5 videos).

So why switch?
Because once he switches, I am sure he will love Sony too. Besides, Sony has a FF in their line up. Also, he has two SDM lenses that can fail at any time.

10-31-2012, 11:14 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Fontan Quote
Besides, Sony has a FF in their line up. Also, he has two SDM lenses that can fail at any time.
Wow, you are an up-beat, positive person.

In the same vein, why fly a plane or drive a car - they could crash and kill you anytime. It's just too risky

FF in the Sony line-up makes no difference to NEX users (like me), btw. It's not important - or on the NEX roadmap.
10-31-2012, 11:18 PM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Fontan Quote
Besides, Sony has a FF in their line up.
He didn't mention FF, though.

Besides, I don't regard the Sony A99 as a proper FF camera.
An A900 with a better sensor, would have tempted me, but the electronic viewfinder of the A99 is a complete turn off for me, no matter how much better it is than the junk from the competition.
11-01-2012, 03:14 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think I would either go with K5 or K30. If you go with the K30, you would probably want to use and external recorder to record audio separately and sync it after the fact. Really not that big a deal. The K5 does give you the option of using an external mic, but the actual video recording options are a lot more limited. I guess, as I think about it, I would go with the K30 in your case.

11-01-2012, 08:23 PM   #20
Pentaxian

The K-30 review by Imaging-Resource nicely compares the camera to the K-5. AFAIC, a top-LCD, quieter shutter, much better sensor cleaning, better battery life, better AF (K-5 II), better still image quality, are pros that beat any cons. Your mileage may vary (if you are still around ).
11-01-2012, 10:01 PM   #21
Site Supporter

The sensor cleaning on the K5 really is great, and we had canons and nikons before. Plus the Pentax K5 has pixel mapping that the Nikon has to do in it's Capture software, a real convience.
11-05-2012, 11:13 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks for all the helpful feedback everyone. Sounds like the K5 clicking issue isn't really an issue as long as I'm willing to take some steps between the process of capture and upload, and that it's not the video files themselves, but the communications/translations between YouTube and the video (if that makes sense). I don't care all that much about sharing what I'm doing with the world so it's less of a problem than I originally thought.

I'm looking very hard now at the K-5 IIs and think I'll be picking it up shortly. I don't want to give up access to the lenses I've put together, as they're fantastic, and I don't want to have to re-learn a system, especially since my Pentax cameras have been so tough and durable.

Thanks for all of your help!