Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-31-2012, 06:01 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Adobe Camera Raw Support For K-5II/s

Do you think Adobe will issue update to camera raw for Photoshop CS5 that supports K-5II/s PEF files? Right now I have the format set to DNG. Is there a notable image quality difference between PEF and DNG?

10-31-2012, 06:09 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You'd be fine sticking with DNG files, because they are losslessly compressed anyway. Usually they're fairly quick to release updates, and there's no question about the fact that ACR will eventually be updated to support the II/IIs.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-31-2012, 09:52 PM   #3

The ACR component CS5 will not be updated, to receive updates to ACR you would need to upgrade to CS6.

My K-5 IIs files work in DNG with ACR 7.2 (the most current version) if Photoshop CS6.

My K-5 IIs .PEF files open in DXO Optics Pro 7 & 8 (which I just upgraded to today). DXO does a great job handling the files and really makes them shine.
11-01-2012, 12:19 AM   #4
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by apac Quote
Do you think Adobe will issue update to camera raw for Photoshop CS5 that supports K-5II/s PEF files? Right now I have the format set to DNG. Is there a notable image quality difference between PEF and DNG?
I open DNG from K-5IIs in CS5 without any problem.

11-01-2012, 03:11 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Has anyone been able to open K-5IIs PEF files in Aperture?
11-01-2012, 05:28 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bjdavey Quote
Has anyone been able to open K-5IIs PEF files in Aperture?
You will have to wait for Apple to update Camera RAW. And since the last update was less than a week ago, you will probably be better off shooting DNG. PEF is a dinosaur anyway, it won't be around much longer.
11-01-2012, 05:44 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
I open DNG from K-5IIs in CS5 without any problem.
Yes, that is what I am doing right now. I may just have to stick to DNG then since Adobe may not update ACR for CS5

11-01-2012, 05:48 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by neil Quote
My K-5 IIs .PEF files open in DXO Optics Pro 7 & 8 (which I just upgraded to today). DXO does a great job handling the files and really makes them shine.
I am going to have to check DXO out, have never used it. Thanks for the tip.
11-01-2012, 08:22 AM   #9
Veteran Member

FWIW, I haven't used PEF in years. Everything starts with DNG, which is likely to remain "compatible" for the foreseeable future. Quality-wise, there really isn't any difference.
11-01-2012, 10:12 AM   #10
Banned

Stop using PEF, that is history!
11-01-2012, 10:35 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
You will have to wait for Apple to update Camera RAW. And since the last update was less than a week ago, you will probably be better off shooting DNG. PEF is a dinosaur anyway, it won't be around much longer.
Good advice - thanks.
11-03-2012, 06:45 PM   #12

PEF is a dinosaur?

What about .ORF, .NEF, .SR2, .RAF, .X3F (I could go on) Raw file types? Are they "dinosaurs" as well?

How do you figure that .PEF won't be around much longer? Are you an engineer for Pentax/Ricoh?

Just curious...
11-03-2012, 07:19 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

PEF is a dinosaur?

What about .ORF, .NEF, .SR2, .RAF, .X3F (I could go on) Raw file types? Are they "dinosaurs" as well?

How do you figure that .PEF won't be around much longer? Are you an engineer for Pentax/Ricoh?

Just curious...
Why was it not included with the K-01 & K-30? What advantage does it have over DNG? Why include a format that requires a software update every time a new camera is released?
11-03-2012, 07:58 PM   #14

Why was it not included with the K-01 & K-30? What advantage does it have over DNG? Why include a format that requires a software update every time a new camera is released?
Don't get me wrong, I am not for (or against) the .PEF format, I was just curious about your comments. My comments may have come across as inflammatory but that was not my intention.

If they are going in the direction of .DNG only why did they include .PEF in my K-5 IIs?
11-03-2012, 08:14 PM - 1 Like   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Don't get me wrong, I am not for (or against) the .PEF format, I was just curious about your comments. My comments may have come across as inflammatory but that was not my intention.

If they are going in the direction of .DNG only why did they include .PEF in my K-5 IIs?
Because it was already in the firmware. If you look at what Ricoh was doing before they bought Pentax you will notice they were going to DNG exclusively. There just isn't any reason to include a proprietary format, Pentax isn't trying to sell you software like Nikon or Canon, and DNG is widely supported by third party software the moment the camera is released.