Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-18-2012, 12:54 PM - 3 Likes   #16
Pentaxian

I never shoot video. I'd wish they'd drop video altogether and improve the photography side of things (or at least drop the price since no video), but I'm probably in the extreme minority.

11-18-2012, 12:55 PM   #17

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've never even tried the video mode on my K5 or K30, I'd be quite happy if Pentax sold a cheaper DSLR without a video mode.
11-19-2012, 02:30 AM   #18
Pentaxian

That will not happen, it's like asking a car maker to build a cheaper version of their car without the fourth gear, since you always jump that one anyway.
11-19-2012, 03:26 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
I never shoot video. I'd wish they'd drop video altogether and improve the photography side of things (or at least drop the price since no video), but I'm probably in the extreme minority.
No you're not in the minority. Pentax produces high quality still cameras. The video mode on any still camera is a "nice-to-have" at best. Something to use when you need video and forgot your camcorder.

If dropping video mode would result in any gain in IQ then I think it should be dropped asap. (Like by using CCD's instead of CMOS. (Look at Leica!))

11-19-2012, 04:12 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It seems as though Pentax could license video technology from some other company, like they do with their PRIME engine. I don't think without that, that they could really have cutting edge video.
12-30-2012, 03:11 PM   #21

Original Poster
K30 have a poor video mode (but with a little improverment in front of the K5) and K5II is worst : why ?

I feel Pentax have no will to do a good video mode, and I think it's stupid because there're able to do something great, a full manual mode or a lot of presets, something better than magic lantern would be possible if ever they wanted it !
12-30-2012, 11:21 PM   #22
Veteran Member

The K-5 is great for video. Much, much better than the K-30, which is only better on paper. In real life it stinks (mostly because of the image stabilization, which ruins video, while on the K-5 it works very well and vastly improves video.

The only thing I miss is focus peaking while recording, manual controls and a more efficient codec. The latter... Not so important. I'll just need bigger memory cards. More efficient codecs tend to reduce quality more, and usually the settings aren't very good for the h264 encoder, so the files really don't get much smaller after all compared to MJPEG. I have a Canon that does 25000 kbit 720p h264 video, and it looks awful (in terms of compression). At this bit rate the MJPEG from the K-5 might even do a better job! Higher quality audio recording would be good. And pixel binning would be great, but the Panasonic GH2 may be the only big sensor camera that does this.

Others may have AF while recording, but it is useless in reality, so who cares.

Last edited by kadajawi; 12-30-2012 at 11:45 PM.
12-30-2012, 11:39 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Well, Canon's been improving their DSLR video a lot lately..
..leaving the stills side somewhat still also.
12-31-2012, 04:57 AM   #24

Original Poster
But the thing is that Canon have a lot to lose with the video quality of the SLR because it reduce their sells in their camcorder category.

Making good video mode can be dangerous for canon, in a marketting point of view.

That's why their best video mode is a hack : magic lantern and not the official one (unless things are changing).

Pentax video system just exist in medical activity, they don't have camcorder that could be in competition with their SLR.

I understand why canon don't want video mode to be too good, but for pentax, there's no reason, it's just stupid, they're living 20 years in the past

Making a good video mode would be a real bonus in marketting, it would open K5 to a new market : videomakers !

Look here Pentax K-5 II: Full Review it's obvious we've lost a star

I'm using a lot video mode with my K5 : the sensor get hot very quick, it's nearly fuul automatic, so it's very hard sometime to get thing the way I want, they're an important amount of noise sometime, and for the sound, I alway use extern micro : it help a little but impossible to listen what we do (no sound out) and can't do nothing with gain & co (using a ZoomH4N can help)

Well I'm maybe a little bit hard, K5 video is not that bad, but in comparaison with what can be do here and their, and seeing that year by year, they're nearly no significative improvement.

If Pentax don't react quickly, they will lose more and more clients
12-31-2012, 05:09 AM   #25

If Pentax was first to do 4:2:2 recording or even 4:4:4 they could really take some market share. I really want some nice video on Pentax :/ I am contemplating moving to Canon or getting a GH2.

Pentax could make such a killer video recorder. (Would be amazing to see the next 645D be able to record :P)
12-31-2012, 05:12 AM   #26
Veteran Member

The K-01 can do what the K-5 and K-30 cannot in video: manual controls, better format support, + mic in, SR, AF-on-demand and best of all: continuous recording without overheating. Sadly though, a lot of people underrate that camera, perhaps due to its design; but it can do very very good video.

Pentax might be "living in the past" due to the K-mount, but that's a good reason to do so too. Also, Canon don't want video to be too good in their DSLRs? Well I'm not so sure why they released this, then:

12-31-2012, 06:15 AM   #27

Original Poster
These costs Canon SLR nearly the same than real cam... So it's well clever from canon to give a real pro SLR for video to all this studios that were using a 5DMarkII : it's better and cost more.

And for all of those who where using a 60D and so on with magic lantern, they will keep the same but now they have an expensive alternative

K5 have a stereo mic in And i'm waiting for the K01II hoping this time it will be waterproof, because if I choose a K5 and not a D7000, it was mostly because of that point (few other too, but for my use, it was a key difference).

About the K30 and K01, could you tell us more because lot of people say things and things about the video mode of this products... ? Are there an audio out ? What about the possibilities of changing codec compressions ? What offers this manual mode you're talking about ?
12-31-2012, 06:34 AM   #28

Original Poster
Pentax should pay this guy to do what they don't do
Welcome to Pentax Hack
12-31-2012, 06:59 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The K5 with the WR lenses make for a formidable all weather video camera. Granted, the K5/K30/K-01 do not have all the bells and whistles for video that others have, but I shoot a fair amount of video with my K5 and love it. I love the IQ that comes from the K5 and I have no issues with 25fps and the controls that the K5 has. In practical cinema terms, having a workflow after shooting is more important. When using a K5 for video, a fader, ND filters and fast lenses give you everything you might need for the look you are going for. I would love to see some detractors of the K5, give me some cases where the K5 did not give them what they wanted and flat out failed.
12-31-2012, 07:17 AM   #30
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by mille19 Quote
I've never even tried the video mode on my K5 or K30, I'd be quite happy if Pentax sold a cheaper DSLR without a video mode.
It won't make anything appreciably cheaper, if at all.

Unless you're really dying over single digits worth of dollars.
Closed Thread