Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-04-2013, 10:41 AM   #46
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
You said the last couple of seasons of House were shot on it, and they weren't, and you own link backed me up on that. Anyway, nevermind, getting off-topic...
And you said only ONE episode was. So if you want to be delusional on semantics, knock yourself out, while shows and films are being shot with the 5DII and III. Doesn't matter how much of them, they are being used by studios now and as I mentioned, I'm mentored by pro videographers in the industry as well and tehy are on 5DIIs in professional usage.

01-04-2013, 10:50 AM   #47
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by snake Quote
And you said only ONE episode was. So if you want to be delusional on semantics, knock yourself out, while shows and films are being shot with the 5DII and III. Doesn't matter how much of them, they are being used by studios now and as I mentioned, I'm mentored by pro videographers in the industry as well and tehy are on 5DIIs in professional usage.
Because only one episode was! After that in the seventh season, they used it regularly for certain shots, yes, but cut in with their regular film footage. There was only whole episode where the whole thing was primarily shot with DSLR -- what is hard to understand about that? I never said they aren't used professionally, or anything like that. They are used selectively, and more and more on lower budget productions. You have a small handful of stuff there listed from a pool of a gazillion productions -- a tiny percentage of total footage shot. They are another tool in the toolbox, granted. Don't know what you are going on about...
01-04-2013, 10:53 AM   #48
Banned

Because only one episode was! After that in the seventh season, they used it regularly for certain shots, yes, but cut in with their regular film footage. There was only whole episode where the whole thing was primarily shot with DSLR -- what is hard to understand about that? I never said they aren't used professionally, or anything like that. They are used selectively, and more and more on lower budget productions. You have a small handful of stuff there listed from a pool of a gazillion productions -- a tiny percentage of total footage shot. They are another tool in the toolbox, granted. Don't know what you are going on about...
Thank you for conceding.
01-04-2013, 11:03 AM   #49
Pentaxian

Thank you for conceding.
I didn't concede, I said the same thing as I said in the first place -- that they shot one episode with it, and not "the last couple of seasons" with it which you said, and was plain wrong. Using it for "selected portions" is not the same thing as it being the primary tool. If I shoot an entire movie on wind-up 16mm Bolex, but for 2 special shots I get 35mm Panavision equipment, and then I claim, "I just shot a movie in Panavision!" wouldn't you say I'm being deceptive? You were being deceptive when you said they shot "seasons" of House on a DSLR because that is nowhere close to being true.

Last edited by Tom S.; 01-04-2013 at 01:16 PM. Reason: Personal reference deleted.
01-04-2013, 11:27 AM   #50

Whats all this arguing? Everyone knows the 5D and 7D are used quite often in films(especially indie ones). I don't think anyone noticed when they used the DSLRs in Avengers because their video quality is actually pretty good. Is this just a hate towards Canon from you guys?

The GH2 also does wonders, the video quality from that is probably better than the 5D III. The only bad sides to these are that they only do 4:2:0, which is why they are generally used in low budget productions. (and poor sound of course)

I don't see why Pentax doesn't implement a very good video mode, as people have stated, they only have things to gain, nothing to lose. Sony have been trying to do it, and they were also working closely with videographers to create a good video mode, Pentax could easily pull off something better. And if they were the first to do uncompressed video, then they would definitely steal some market share off Canon.

Canon won't do anything, especially after releasing their crappy C300, they're not going to want to hurt its sales by making the 5D a monster.
01-04-2013, 11:42 AM - 1 Like   #51
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Am I the only one who wished that they would just remove video capabilities from DSLR's altogether?
I wish it was a feature that was treated as a bonus or best effort, as Im getting miffed over the amount of camera's that get marked down for poor video capabilities. Fine, they aren't great for video, but if they take pin sharp pictures, then does it really matter, and if it does, then get a dedicated videocam

Im guessing you can tell I have never used video on a DSLR, though strangely I have hours and hours of the stuff shot with various mobile phones, but have never chosen a phone based on video capabilities as I see that as a bonus too
01-04-2013, 11:53 AM   #52
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by edgedemon Quote
Am I the only one who wished that they would just remove video capabilities from DSLR's altogether?
I'm all for that if it would bring the price down, or if still quality/features could be upgraded in its absence.

01-04-2013, 12:11 PM   #53
Banned

I wish it was a feature that was treated as a bonus or best effort, as Im getting miffed over the amount of camera's that get marked down for poor video capabilities. Fine, they aren't great for video, but if they take pin sharp pictures, then does it really matter, and if it does, then get a dedicated videocam

Im guessing you can tell I have never used video on a DSLR, though strangely I have hours and hours of the stuff shot with various mobile phones, but have never chosen a phone based on video capabilities as I see that as a bonus too
This is where the future is and no amount of complaining you'll do will stop it. The previously mentioned film studios are working with the camera makers as we speak to make this happen. This is something truly driven, right now, by the demand for it and those demanding it are helping engineer the implementation and the evolution of technology. We will all win. Independent film producers, bands, visual artists, etc. are all pushing this development forward and some current iterations are really good.

Last edited by Tom S.; 01-04-2013 at 01:15 PM. Reason: Rude & personal comment deleted
01-04-2013, 12:21 PM   #54
Pentaxian

(Rude comment deleted by moderator.) This is where the future is and no amount of complaining you'll do will stop it. The previously mentioned film studios are working with the camera makers as we speak to make this happen. This is something truly driven, right now, by the demand for it and those demanding it are helping engineer the implementation and the evolution of technology. We will all win. Independent film producers, bands, visual artists, etc. are all pushing this development forward and some current iterations are really good.
No one is saying to "not forward video technology", but certainly EVERY still picture camera doesn't *need* it, does it? I mean, if they left it out, I wouldn't consider that a flaw any more than not including a phone is a flaw. It just wouldn't be a video camera, which is fine since I don't want a video camera...

Last edited by Tom S.; 01-04-2013 at 01:43 PM. Reason: Rude comment deleted from quote.
01-04-2013, 12:22 PM   #55
Banned

No one is saying to "not forward video technology", but certainly EVERY still picture camera doesn't *need* it, does it? I mean, if they left it out, I wouldn't consider that a flaw any more than not including a phone is a flaw. It just wouldn't be a video camera, which is fine since I don't want a video camera...
I would suggest self-control and not use the video feature.
01-04-2013, 12:35 PM   #56

This is where the future is and no amount of complaining you'll do will stop it. The previously mentioned film studios are working with the camera makers as we speak to make this happen. This is something truly driven, right now, by the demand for it and those demanding it are helping engineer the implementation and the evolution of technology. We will all win. Independent film producers, bands, visual artists, etc. are all pushing this development forward and some current iterations are really good.
Mhm. Its like saying they want a phone to make calls and nothing else. There's nothing wrong with adding other features, they have to advance it somehow.

Last edited by Tom S.; 01-04-2013 at 01:16 PM. Reason: Rude comment from quote deleted.
01-04-2013, 12:39 PM   #57
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
- Rude comment deleted by moderator -

Harsh and you completely missed my point....
Add what you like to a device, but score it on its primary function, rather than reduce its overall score for a poor secondary function

Last edited by Tom S.; 01-04-2013 at 01:41 PM. Reason: Rude comment deleted in quote.
01-04-2013, 12:41 PM   #58

Add what you like to a device, but score it on its primary function, rather than reduce its overall score for a poor secondary function
You have a point here, I hate it when reviewers mark down a gadget because of something really stupid. Like when they mark down a phone because it was 20g heavier than the competition; And then claim it is too heavy.
01-04-2013, 12:46 PM   #59
Banned

And you missed my point- they're not secondary functions anymore. We've gotten well past that point. These were discussions I was reading over ten years ago, and it's interesting to see how people are so fixed in their thinking.

You could always get a Leica if you don't want video. The choice is there.
01-04-2013, 03:28 PM   #60
CDW
Site Supporter

You do realize that studios are using 5DII and likely the III for shooting movies and among the most popular shows on TV, right? The last couple seasons of House, for example, were shot with 5DIIs and when there was word of the discontinuation of the II, studios started buying them up like crazy.

Yes, I do. I worked in television for many years and I've followed the industry. But I also assume you do realize that most of the usage of DSLRs in video production has been for drama and series production, requiring extensive additional post processing to create the so-called "film look". And typically the amount spent by the studios or production houses to outfit the DSLRs (hoods, audio adapters, cabling, etc) winds up costing as much or more than the basic body, not to mention the additional costs of prime lenses that are typically fitted. This is why for the typical non-professional user a separate camcorder with superior ergonomics, superior focus tracking and automatic gain control makes far more sense.

You don't see DSLRs being used in any significant manner at live sports events requiring cameras with long range zooms and automatic focus tracking or in any live situation that requires traditional movement during the broadcast. The DSLR ergonomics are too unwieldy for those types of broadcasts. Most of the major broadcast equipment manufacturers have or are in the process of introducing lower cost camera systems with interchangeable lenses. The new crop of cameras and their lower costs than traditional broadcast cameras is likely to lessen the demand for DSLR cameras for professional video production in the future. Finally, just because broadcasters such as the BBC, the US networks, HBO, etc., try out new equipment on a short term basis, it doesn't necessarily mean they become permanent 'go to' pieces of gear for everyday production. And with 4K arriving quickly, the additional internal signal processing for video along with larger battery packs, makes little sense, in my opinion, as a future option to be incorporated in consumer DSLRs...although logic has never stopped manufacturers in the past from answering a question no one asked.
Closed Thread