Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-09-2013, 06:46 AM   #91
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by userage Quote
But yeah hopefully by the time I need video (1 year?) Pentax will have a good offering. Also, what happened to Vitaly(?) the guy who hacked the GH2, isn't he a Pentax fan? Could he hack it?
1 year is quite long given the few advancements they need to up coming from the K-01 and K-30... I am confident they'll have a good one by that time.

as for the hack, yeah I wish he could do something about Pentax firmware too. I'm not a programmer (and know nothing about editing firmware) so I've no idea if there is anything in the GH2's codes that are similar to Pentax's... imagine the possibilities, not just for video. Maybe even focus peaking

01-09-2013, 06:48 AM   #92

QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
1 year is quite long given the few advancements they need to up coming from the K-01 and K-30... I am confident they'll have a good one by that time.

as for the hack, yeah I wish he could do something about Pentax firmware too. I'm not a programmer (and know nothing about editing firmware) so I've no idea if there is anything in the GH2's codes that are similar to Pentax's... imagine the possibilities, not just for video. Maybe even focus peaking
Only problem with the K-01/30 was they went to a worse codec, if they kept the MJPEG (which has huge file sizes, but great quality) it would have been awesome. They should have a choice between them
01-09-2013, 07:23 AM - 1 Like   #93
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Urm sorry? Wheres your evidence for this? I think your sounding like the nutjob. DSLRs are not going to replace cinema cameras, but they can easily replace cameras for low budget shooters.

Also yeah your right, DSLRs are terrible ergonomically, how on earth will we survive with them on a tripod. And what expensive add-ons are you talking about?

Not everyone uses a tripod. And nope, no evidence. But let's see how it all pans out in a few years...

Last edited by Jodokast96; 01-09-2013 at 07:33 AM.
01-09-2013, 08:02 AM   #94
Veteran Member

They didn't only go for a worse codec (well, actually I'm a fan of h264, but the implementation in the K-30 is less than stellar), they also deactivated the SR system for video recording. What a waste, there it really shines in the K-5. For photography I can do without. But videos... At least give the CHOICE between MJPEG and h264 as well as SR and digital image stabilization (which looks awful btw.).

I don't really need full manual controls, though I wouldn't mind.
However being able to use the Fx button for video recording would be awesome. Right now I don't use it. Any feature that I may need and can get that way is so easy to access that I don't bother with it. Except for video recording. I frequently find myself shooting in Av or TAv, then wanting to record a video, back to shooting a few photos, bit of video, ... if there wasn't a button on the mode dial I might even be ok with using the dial, but since I have to press a button to rotate it takes forever and is quite troublesome. Missed quite a bit because of that. I have a hard time understanding what would be so hard about realizing this in firmware.
Overlaying certain aspect ratios would be nice for some, I'm sure.
Being able to have hot spots removed when recording a video would be nice too. In photos they are not so much of a problem, but videos... they appear especially when shooting video, and they are hard to get rid of.
Focus peaking! Even if it is only for the center part of the image. As much as the CPU allows would be nice.
Deactivate the nice zooming in animation while LiveView AF. Looks cool, but wastes time.

01-09-2013, 08:03 AM   #95

QuoteOriginally posted by Jodokast96 Quote

Not everyone uses a tripod. And nope, no evidence. But let's see how it all pans out in a few years...
The first two images you linked to were using tripods.. Also I was going to mention rigs as well. The rigs make it much easier to handle them. Plus the things on those images are almost necessary add ons. Even with dedicated video cameras, you will still be using a follow focus and matte box and it will most likely also be on rails.
01-09-2013, 05:06 PM   #96
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Well if nothing good comes soon I'm just going to move brand.. Is it a bad idea to start a petition for them to give us a good video mode?/ update K7/5/x?
I went ahead and got a Canon 60D for video.

I don't think it's too late to petition for increased video capabilities...but I don't think it will do any good. Surely, 4 years after the 5D Mark II introduced DSLR video to the world, Pentax has to be aware of what it is going on. They just appear to have tapped out rather than trying to compete.
01-09-2013, 05:13 PM   #97

QuoteOriginally posted by fuent104 Quote
I went ahead and got a Canon 60D for video.

I don't think it's too late to petition for increased video capabilities...but I don't think it will do any good. Surely, 4 years after the 5D Mark II introduced DSLR video to the world, Pentax has to be aware of what it is going on. They just appear to have tapped out rather than trying to compete.
They didn't even put manual control in the K5 II is what gets me.. The IIs would have been so awesome for video

01-10-2013, 05:35 PM   #98
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
They didn't even put manual control in the K5 II is what gets me
I wish a camera maker would explain why manual control is considered to be an "advanced" feature. It would seem to me that it is more difficult to program a camera to calculate exposure, and easier to have the user do it manually.
01-11-2013, 03:57 PM   #99
Veteran Member

It's an advance feature because it's meant for advance users

Bit like how some Point and Shoot cameras don't have a manual mode for example or manual focus.
01-12-2013, 04:43 AM   #100
Banned

So which cams do have "advanced"/manual video functions without hacks?
01-12-2013, 08:49 AM   #101

QuoteOriginally posted by snake Quote
So which cams do have "advanced"/manual video functions without hacks?
Almost all new ones? GH3 has best one so far.
01-12-2013, 09:27 AM   #102
Veteran Member

But in all honesty, when you get to te point where "shutterspeed" for video maater for you i think it's time to get a video camera for it....
01-12-2013, 09:43 AM   #103

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
But in all honesty, when you get to te point where "shutterspeed" for video maater for you i think it's time to get a video camera for it....
How does that mean that?... Whats wrong with wanting control over shutter speed in video?
01-12-2013, 10:24 AM   #104
Veteran Member

Well why would you want shutterspeed control for video?
If you can explain to me that and why it matters for your "production" then i think you've reached a level were a real video camera will benefit you more.

One of the biggest reasons is the limitation of the codec they use and the image quality is just not it...
The IQ is good enough for most things but if shutterspeed really matters then in my turn i'll say then you should also look a bit further down the line for something a bit more serious.
01-12-2013, 11:18 AM   #105

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
Well why would you want shutterspeed control for video?
If you can explain to me that and why it matters for your "production" then i think you've reached a level were a real video camera will benefit you more.

One of the biggest reasons is the limitation of the codec they use and the image quality is just not it...
The IQ is good enough for most things but if shutterspeed really matters then in my turn i'll say then you should also look a bit further down the line for something a bit more serious.
They have shutter speed control on the K30/K-01, just because I need control over my shutter speed doesn't mean I should spend £2000 on a dedicated camera. The IQ of their current codec is fine for the occasional family shooter, their old codec was much better anyway and they let you pick its quality level so you could get smaller file sizes out of it too.

Sorry if were trying to get Pentax to be competitive in video as well as stills...

I know that a lot of indie shooters were disappointed when the K5 came with no manual shooting mode in video, that's a big user base that could have invested in Pentax, shame they all went down the Canon route.
Closed Thread