Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-14-2013, 12:29 PM   #121
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Until someone offers a large sensor video camera for under $1000, dslrs will still very much have a place in the video world. Not everyone who wants to make films can afford a multi-thousand dollar camera body, especially if the body is heavier, and therefore requires stronger (and more expensive) support and batteries.

There is also another advantage to dslrs over Black Magic and KineRaw Mini: the latter two cameras don't actually exist yet in the consumer market. So I've been able to shoot projects on my camera over the last few months, while people who've paid for the Black Magic are still waiting for theirs.

01-14-2013, 12:34 PM   #122
Pentaxian

Edit
"I'm only saying that it becomes less intersting every year."

I don't think so, not yet. Not everyone want's to buy two different system for twice the money (at least). Those who get really bitten by the video bug might do it, I'm not there yet though. I might continue buying Pentax cameras though, if they deliver what I want.
01-14-2013, 12:54 PM   #123

I don't think you understood me Anvh

I don't see what the point of your argument, you just been telling us about how cinema cameras are better than DSLRs, this thread is not about Pentax breaking into Cinema and trying to go against the likes of RED and Arri. Its about them improving their video mode to be on par with Canon since Nikon and Sony have made serious attempts to.

I would like to shoot video as well as stills, the codec in the K-5 is a decent enough quality for me, I can't afford to move completely over to the BMC and sell all my gear then reinvest into that system. I don't even know how you expect me to edit the RAW footage, that would require me to reinvest in a new computer as well. The BMC will require a lot more extras and accesories as well, it may be £2000 for body only but with everything else you need including a set of lenses it will surely go close to 4k+ without having to upgrade my PC, As opposed to a DSLR kit which would set me back less than 1/4 of that.

I want to start making movies at some point, its nice to know that my stills camera would be able to deliver quality which is good enough to be screened and would not set me back massive amount. It may become less interesting to you every year but as DSLRs are getting better and better it begs to say they are becoming more interesting. I believe Canon released a DSLR that records 4k, is that not interesting to you?

My K-5 records in 4:2:2 at an excellent bitrate too, if it came with manual control I am sure Pentax would have gained market share from the people who jumped on the Canon wave for video. If you have a look on DVX there are lots of people who were very excited for it but were ultimately let down by video mode. So you like to think that it would have not affected Pentaxs market share but I am sure it would have.

Do you have anything useful to contribute to how Pentax can improve their video mode or are you just going to keep telling us about how we should go and buy the Black Magic if we want to shoot video and how we don't need manual control because you can't tell the difference between shutter speeds?
01-14-2013, 01:34 PM   #124
Veteran Member

Point is should pentax actually put resources into a small market which they have almost no share in and which has te been seen if it will last?
And that was a question i asked 2 pages back or so back by me which started to talk about the level of Pentax video is now.

As for the rest of your comment, you don't want to discus it according your last sentance so i ain't putting any effort into it anymore of course!
"i can't tell difference between shutter speeds?" no idea where you based that assumption and why saying something like that about me was needed, anyway i've reported it.

Last edited by Anvh; 01-14-2013 at 01:53 PM.
01-14-2013, 01:47 PM   #125

Resources? How hard is it for them to update the K5 with manual video control. The K5 has better quality than the Canons (not sure about after hack), all were asking for is manul control. That would straight away put the K5 in line with them if not ahead.

The K01 and K30 have nice control but mediocre (at best) quality.
01-14-2013, 01:55 PM   #126
Veteran Member

If it is so easy then why didn't they put it in the K5?
01-14-2013, 01:59 PM   #127
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
If it is so easy then why didn't they put it in the K5?
Laziness, lack of vision, BEANCOUNTERS, and so on and so forth.

01-14-2013, 02:24 PM   #128
Veteran Member

It's not that simple.

They put it in the K30 and the K-01 but not in the K5 mkII...
Reason?
01-14-2013, 02:26 PM   #129

I think laziness is the key, I mean what difference is in the K5 II and original except the AF system? They literally never touched anything else.
01-14-2013, 02:45 PM   #130
Veteran Member

There are also some hardware changes as far as i know, so it isn't that simple either if that's the case.
01-14-2013, 02:50 PM   #131

I don't see how hardware is going to affect that. Instead of metering the scene at all times, the user sets the parameters. Seems easier to implement as well.

Is there an email address we can use to get in contact with someone at Pentax?
01-15-2013, 01:31 AM   #132
Veteran Member

You can already press a button to fix the exposure. How on earth can it be too hard? If Pentax would reply and say there is a technical reason for that, fine. But so far.... Nothing.

Now if Pentax could also offer us ProRes or even CinemaDNG... But of course that requires much more effort. That would benefit stills too, since write speeds would have to be improved. Or high quality codecs only when tethered to a computer/external drive. BlackMagic offers this, and another 16mm camera too. But they are more expensive and have smallish sensors.

Rolling shutter is not Pentax' problem, is it? The sensor comes from Sony, it is mostly a matter of buying the right parts.

Giving the option to all cameras to use the actual SR system would be good, rather than using digital IS with all the associated problems.

MJPEG is quite OK, there is not much to do on the codec front. Maybe offer a flat curve that is a bit like what BlackMagic offers. Though it might already exist, have to play with. Basically a setting that creates a video that is better to grade, for those who want to.

Anyway there are many possible improvements that seem to be possible in firmware. Things that were added by MagicLantern for example... By people outside of Canon! Without access to the source code I guess. If they can do it it can't be too much work for someone at Pentax, can it? Pentax also has all this old beautiful glass that would lend itself to video production.
01-15-2013, 01:42 AM   #133
Veteran Member

If Pentax can bring these features to their already proven bodies, don't you think there'd be interest? Especially if RAW is supported some way or another. Pentax could do a RAW version of the camera for a higher price.

LoBlackMagic at the moment. Knowing how much was recorded and how much space is left? Nah. Formating and deleting files in camera? Nah. Accurate battery indicator? Nah. Knowing which f stop was set? Nah. Replacing the battery? Nah. The list of things that are missing right now are quite amusing.
01-15-2013, 01:48 AM   #134
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
There are also some hardware changes as far as i know, so it isn't that simple either if that's the case.
I think it's a lot simpler than creating a conspicuously-missing fast 35mm eq lens (which Pentax has in its past, actually).
01-15-2013, 03:30 AM   #135
Pentaxian

I don't think it will ever happen with the K5, it's to late now. It's better to add it to the next generation, better for Pentax that is, as it will be one more thing that is better with the new model.

They might even have planned it all long as the K5 was such a great leap forward anyway. The next model will probably not be so much better, so we might as well save some goodies for it.
Closed Thread