Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-02-2012, 03:48 PM   #1

Why doesn't Pentax try to give us a real video mode ?

Nowadays pentax is an outsider in the DSLR world. Few years ago, movie pros world have been shaked with the Canon DSLR, a huge new market have been opened : Nikon understood it : look at the D800 video quality !

Canon have a lot to lost because it decreases their cameras sells, not Pentax...

So why does Pentax don't give us a real video mode like magic lantern ? ! !

Please help me to understand... I use a lot the video mode with my K5 and it sc*s

11-02-2012, 03:57 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
They've improved video mode a lot on the K-30 and the K-01. Hopefully the next body is even better!

With that said, the D800 videos are indeed quite impressive....

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-02-2012, 05:20 PM   #3

Original Poster
K01, K30, K5IIs and so on had little improvement but we are far away from magic lantern possibilities...

It could be huge if Pentax wanted to offering us a real pro mode for video making...

I feel things are still very cheap, video maker are a real market, Pentax have no reason not to do a pro mode (unlike Canon who would attack their "real" camera market), so why don't they do it ?

They are doing medical video so sure they have the technologies and engineers to do something better then magic lantern (it's not from Canon but it's a reference as you know).

So what ?
11-02-2012, 08:00 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm sure it's completely unpractical for Pentax to even attempt, but I think it would be pretty awesome if they were to come out with a dedicated K-mount camcorder that utilizes made-for-video sensor technology in an APS format. Maybe they could get George Lucas to sponsor it; he's got some spare cash now.

11-03-2012, 05:51 AM   #5

Original Poster
I'm not sure I express myself correctly in english, sorry for that.

I'm waiting for a Pentax camcorder, but for a well done video mode on my K5 to use it like other do with their 5DMarkII to make short movie with professionnal quality.

I feel the software to improve video mode is not that hard to do (without changing the hardware of the K5)

I see someone who beginned to do a hack but did'nt finished it As an outsider I don't understand why Pentax do something like the canon hack magiclantern but in an official mode, it would be top
11-03-2012, 06:30 AM   #6
Pentaxian

That would be great to have. I think one problem is small marketshare. So making a new camcorder would maybe flopping in the market. Advancing the dslr would make the series probably more expensive and they are strugling on sales and pushing on price while the majority off the current userbase is not interested in video.

I would like a great video camera.
11-17-2012, 05:57 AM   #7
Pentaxian

For Pentax even a small market share would be an improvement :P

I just don't think they can pull it off. I mean give their DSLRs a proper video mode. Though there are clearly some things they _could_ do. Maybe increase the quality of audio recording. Let us chose aperture etc. while recording (though the noises while changing it, the abrupt change in brightness, and even the camera shake introduced when doing so may not make it that usable.

I do not think that the K-30 is an improvement over the K-5 in terms of video. One of the things that made me pick a K-5 over a K-30 was the video mode of the K-5. IMHO the only advantage the K-30 has is smaller files. The SR is bloody awful on the K-30, while it is absolutely brilliant on the K-5. It very much eliminates any shaking on the K-5. It makes the image occasionally look blurry on the K-30, there are light streaks appearing out of nowhere, the picture wobbles around (top part of the image is stable, the bottom part wobbles around). Basically I don't think you can shoot video with SR activated on the K-30. And AF while recording video? Sounds good... but it is not continuous. It is not smooth. And it seems to take a few tries before it gets it right. At least when I tested the K-30. I might as well do without and focus by hand, that results in much smoother results. Strangely enough MF seems to work best on the screen with lenses with a shallow DoF (and wide open). With the kit lens I have a hard time.

The K-30 is brilliant in terms of video... on paper. In my hands it was a huge let down.
11-17-2012, 06:10 AM   #8
D0n
Banned

Pentax has a poor track record with video. true.
Ricoh, however has tired various things with varying success....
one thing ricoh tried a while back was rebadged sony camcorders.

Ricoh would do well to make a deal with Sony (or Panasonic) to get a camcorder like the nex vg30 or 900 and swap out the lens mount for a k-mount, and develop a line of cinema lenses for the camcorder and k-01..... (even the recessed lenses hinted at previously).

11-17-2012, 09:04 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
With that said, the D800 videos are indeed quite impressive....
They have problems with moire and rolling shutter though and it's still not 4:4:4
For the price you probably better get a BMC, with adapters you can even use Pentax lenses on it, what more do you want?
11-17-2012, 09:30 AM   #10
D0n
Banned

Pentax... cut a deal with these guys and put a k-mount on it.. lol! This is what the k-01 should have been, but with a 16 mp c-mos sensor, and k-mount!
Blackmagic Design: Blackmagic Cinema Camera
11-17-2012, 10:07 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Make the K-01 successor as that camera, a mirrorless with fantastic video.
The K-01 is already very good, a few improvements here and there and voila.

Otherwise just get a camcorder... the best hacker we have for Pentax so far is tomazkos and his PK_Tether program which has infinitely helped thousands of Pentaxians out there who don't have a K10 or K20.
11-17-2012, 11:23 AM   #12
Pentaxian

K-01 would be perfect !
11-18-2012, 01:52 AM   #13

K-01 and K30 video is too much compressed and this makes it loose quality. Other problems are the lack of AA in video - there is too much pixelizations and moire but the fine detail is not there. About K30/01 SR in video - I find it a little better than K5s, not as good as the Oly OM-D but a little improved.
11-18-2012, 09:17 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by simbon4o Quote
About K30/01 SR in video - I find it a little better than K5s, not as good as the Oly OM-D but a little improved.
SR with the K-01 and K30 is software based, with the K5 it use the SR you also get with your photos.
11-18-2012, 12:45 PM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
SR with the K-01 and K30 is software based, with the K5 it use the SR you also get with your photos.
Really? I was wondering why sometimes on the screen I can see shaking and than in the final movie there is no shaking... That's awful!
Closed Thread