Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-04-2012, 01:57 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Question for K5-lls shooters who print

I am looking for responses ONLY from those K5-lls owners who shoot in RAW, post process their images and make their own prints. I have a K-5 and am wondering if the lls will give me enough improvement in IQ to warrant buying it. I shoot with excellent prime lenses, camera always tripod mounted and print with an Epson R3000 on 13x19 paper.
Thanks

11-04-2012, 07:29 PM   #2

I did just what you have described this week.

I took the same photo (same shooting parameters) with my K-5 & K-5 IIs and my Zeiss 50mm f2 Makro-Planar. Set up on my Gitzo GT3532LS tripod and Acratech GP ballhead with a remote release. Both captured in .PEF Raw and converted to 16-bit Tiffs with DXO Optics Pro 8, tweaked and sharpened in CS6. Printed at 12"x18" on my Epson 2200 (with Canson Infinity Photo HighGloss Premium RC paper) via Qimage Ultimate.

All that said, the first time I printed I didn't see much of a difference at all between the two cameras. I then realized that I hadn't sharpened the K-5 IIs file before I printed it. Once I corrected that, the difference was quite noticeable at a 3-foot viewing distance, much more detail and 'texture' available to be seen. To me, the difference is enough to justify the K-5 IIs.
11-04-2012, 08:26 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Neil,
Thanks for your reply. This is exactly the kind of response I am looking for. BTW, I also have the Zeiss 50. It's a wonderful lens. Did you find that you sharpened the lls image less than you did on the K-5? I'm not looking for ways to cut down on post processing steps. I just want to know if the lls is going to deliver better and sharper images.
I visited your web page and I like your work very much. We have some similar ideas.
Thanks.

Last edited by TaiChiTom; 11-04-2012 at 08:33 PM.
11-04-2012, 08:49 PM   #4

Glad I could help, sorry I couldn't be more descriptive but the prints definitely have more POP to them, without a doubt.

I have been applying the same amount of sharpening as my K-5 files for now but have noticed that the K-5 IIs files can take a lot more sharpening before it's noticeable. (I detest the over-sharpened look). I am well versed in Photoshop and the various techniques for sharpening but prefer to use FocalBlade, it does a fantastic job and can be quicker...

One thing I am appreciating more as I use it is the new 'gapless' LCD screen, it's the first thing you'll notice between the two cameras. It's funny how little things make a lot of difference.

Thanks for your comments about my site/photography. The site is just new and still being 'developed' as they say. I have been with Zenfolio for the past six years and decided to go back to maintaining my own site which has been a whole 'nother headache.

Last edited by neil; 11-04-2012 at 08:55 PM.
11-04-2012, 10:02 PM   #5

Very limited experience so far comparing my K5IIs (arrived Friday) to my K5.

I made a 20x30 print of the same landscape scene, same lens (16-50/2.8 at 16) from each camera yesterday at ISO 80, heavy tripod, 2-sec timer, the whole deal, and found the K5IIs print noticeably sharper and with more punch; there could even be detail in the print not visible in the one from the K-5.

BUT -- and this is a big caveat -- this is one print of one scene.

It's also going to take a while to figure out how best to process in Lightroom. I usually run sharpening on the K-5 at ISO 80 up to about 100; for the new camera it seemed to work best at 60 or so.

Much more experimenting to do, but I'm very encouraged.
11-05-2012, 07:18 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks, bkpix.
11-05-2012, 02:15 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I wish I could answer your question but I've not got my call yet for the IIs hitting the selves here. The II has arrived but no IIs
11-05-2012, 06:15 PM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by Dr_who Quote
I wish I could answer your question but I've not got my call yet for the IIs hitting the selves here. The II has arrived but no IIs
I couldn't get any solid answers from my local dealers as to when it would be available in Canada.

I just ended up ordering from B&H...so much easier than going through the hoops locally.