Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-03-2012, 03:15 PM   #46
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jasonwarth Quote
It's true that Photoshop has all sorts of features that don't apply to photography (e.g., 3D, video, type, etc.). Lightroom is the answer to that—in that it strips away all those features, re-assembles the core functions into a much more user-friendly interface, and sells for a fraction of the price. It's a brilliant piece of software.
Sorry but Lightroom is nowhere near a simpler version of Photoshop, all lightroom is is Adobe Camera RAW you've with Photoshop combined with Bridge which you also get with Photoshop. All the things in the actual program of Photoshop you don't see back in Lightroom.

Photoshop most powerful feature is for example layers, and that is completely missing in lightroom also the filters are missing. They are two completely different programs.

12-03-2012, 03:48 PM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by goubejp Quote
I bet, candidate B is K5 with deblur;based on the fact that deblur increased noise in the black area bottom right
Arg, that dreaded Chroma noise bug!
It's a known bug that has come-up in the latest Beta revision and is being looked at by the developers. The good news is however, that this isn't due to the deblur itself, however it is caused by Topaz Detail 3 Beta which is still in a little rough around the edges so to speak. I'll likely update the samples when the new revision comes out.

Having said that I'm happy to report that the new Topaz Detail software can sharpen images both spatially and perceptually without affecting grain or noise whatsoever. Which is going to be huge for people working high ISO images and the likes.

Last edited by JohnBee; 12-03-2012 at 03:59 PM.
12-03-2012, 04:50 PM   #48

Candidate A is the IIs if all else is equal
12-03-2012, 06:31 PM   #49

QuoteOriginally posted by Franklin Quote
Agree, candidate "A" appears to be the sharper image, I would expect from a IIs.

12-04-2012, 04:19 AM   #50
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Franklin Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by Mapman Quote
Agree, candidate "A" appears to be the sharper image, I would expect from a IIs.
Now that's what I like to hear!
Please share your observations.
12-04-2012, 04:53 AM   #51
Pentaxian

Candidate B looks sharper to me.... (I'm watching this on a crappy monitor though).
12-04-2012, 04:59 AM   #52
Veteran Member

At what aperture?

12-04-2012, 05:46 AM   #53

QuoteOriginally posted by lightbulb Quote
At what aperture?
I believe those images are crops from the camera comparison images available on DPR. If so, they were shot with a 50mm f2.8 macro at F8.
12-04-2012, 07:07 AM   #54
Veteran Member

It would be nice if it is 100 percent crop.
12-04-2012, 09:42 AM   #55
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lightbulb Quote
It would be nice if it is 100 percent crop.
Yes, these are 100% crops.
I've been working with these sample images for so long now, that I take it for granted that everyone knows what they are.

Last edited by JohnBee; 12-04-2012 at 09:54 AM.
12-04-2012, 03:56 PM   #56
Veteran Member

Ok if both are raw without pp I see that a has more details.
12-04-2012, 05:37 PM   #57
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jasonwarth Quote
P.S. If you're curious to see how I use PS and LR, you can see some of my work by clicking on my signature below.
Wow! WOW! Nuthin' more to be said, other than I'm going back there. OH WOW!
12-05-2012, 02:11 PM   #58
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by goubejp Quote
I bet, candidate B is K5 with deblur;based on the fact that deblur increased noise in the black area bottom right
I'm happy to report that Topaz Detail 3 is official in the release candidate stages. The new software was scheduled for release today, though I think it's been held back a few extra days to iron out some last minute bugs that discovered in the software.

At any rate, the new version no longer ads noise to adjusted images which the earlier versions suffered from, and so there's that to consider.

Aside from that, the software seems to do a bang-up job of removing the effects of the AA filter, as well as adjusting spacial details throughout images like no other software can do. Additionally, the latest version has a new shadow, mid-tone and highlight sharpening system as well as an adjustment brush built-into the interface. Though I'm really not sure how valuable this will be to Photoshop users given the power of layer masking. Though I'm certain that users of other interfaces will be more than pleased to be able to mask-in adjustments along the way.

Having said all that, here are some final deblur samples taken from the K-5 II in contrast with the K-5 IIs. Which were processed in RT, and adjusted in Photoshop to match. Please keep in mind that these are 100% crops.

PS. I tried to avoid areas in the scene with moire to help keep things interesting. Though, unfortunately... the K-5 IIs has moire in so many areas that it was near impossible to avoid it completely.

Hope this helps.
12-05-2012, 08:06 PM   #59
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
Having said all that, here are some final deblur samples taken from the K-5 II in contrast with the K-5 IIs.
Thanks, John, for these further comparisons.

I find that the B samples show more detail by the tiniest of margins. However, not enough to risk colour artefacts.

BTW, the A samples sometimes show (red-green) colour banding. The instance that's easiest to spot is in the shadow area below the Kodak chart in the first image.