Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-04-2012, 10:59 PM   #1
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Real-Life Moire Example from K-5 IIs

Here's a non-test photo with some moire in it:

Pentax K-5 II / IIs Review - Moire: Real World Example - PentaxForums.com

Can you guess where it is before clicking on the link?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-05-2012, 12:17 AM   #2
Veteran Member

f8 and it's gone, I bet ...
11-05-2012, 12:55 AM   #3
Forum Member

I can live with that. I still want the K-5 IIS
11-05-2012, 01:02 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
f8 and it's gone, I bet ...
I didn't shoot the same scene at F8, but I can confirm that it is gone at F13 (yet the IIs shot still out-resolved the K-5 shot).

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-05-2012, 03:08 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Can you guess where it is before clicking on the link?
Can you guess whether the camera had an AA-filter before clicking on the link?
If you cannot see the moiré, you cannot see the additional resolution either (assuming, of course, the K-5 image has been appropriately capture-sharpened).

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I didn't shoot the same scene at F8, but I can confirm that it is gone at F13 (yet the IIs shot still out-resolved the K-5 shot).
Note that at f/13 on APS-C because of diffraction you are recording ~5MP worth of resolution (green light). There isn't a fantastic level of micro-detail that the K-5 IIs preserves. Because the image is already blurry (w.r.t. a 16MP sensor), the further AA-filter blurring will cause some loss of information. The K-5 IIs actually has a slight advantage with images that are slightly blurry to begin with. However, if you can open up the aperture, the K-5 could resolve more detail at f/5.6 than the K-5 IIs can capture at f/13.
11-05-2012, 05:04 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
That was kinda hard to spot heh - I was looking all over the roof sidings only to realize it's on the bottom section.
11-05-2012, 05:50 AM - 2 Likes   #7

There goes my life as a professional corrugated roof photographer....sigh! If that's as bad as it gets, sign me up.

11-05-2012, 06:23 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Wires

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
That was kinda hard to spot heh - I was looking all over the roof sidings only to realize it's on the bottom section.

Moire is also on the power lines behind the silver building, behind the palm trees. But I needed the K5 comparison crop to see it.

11-06-2012, 06:43 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Note that at f/13 on APS-C because of diffraction you are recording ~5MP worth of resolution (green light). There isn't a fantastic level of micro-detail that the K-5 IIs preserves. Because the image is already blurry (w.r.t. a 16MP sensor), the further AA-filter blurring will cause some loss of information. The K-5 IIs actually has a slight advantage with images that are slightly blurry to begin with. However, if you can open up the aperture, the K-5 could resolve more detail at f/5.6 than the K-5 IIs can capture at f/13.
But for most photos where you don't happen to have man-made parallel lines, you could take the photo at f5.6 with the K5iis. Even in the example, the moire is hard to spot except when pixel peeping. It seems to me that there isn't a problem if you're aware of the sort of situation that may be problematic, then adjust the aperture accordingly. So IMO it's worth gaining sharpness on 99% (or more) of the photos you take while being aware of how to deal with moire in the 1% or less that may be problematic. I hope so anyway, since I've preordered the K5iis!
11-07-2012, 06:29 AM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
So IMO it's worth gaining sharpness on 99% (or more) of the photos you take while being aware of how to deal with moire in the 1% or less that may be problematic.
With so little instances of moire and the negligible price difference, I wonder if the II will disappear all together as most people buy up the IIs. I hope this happens because I'd like to be able to get the 18-135mm kit lens with the IIs. Make it so.
11-07-2012, 08:01 PM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by halfspin Quote
With so little instances of moire and the negligible price difference, I wonder if the II will disappear all together as most people buy up the IIs. I hope this happens because I'd like to be able to get the 18-135mm kit lens with the IIs. Make it so.
Time will tell, I guess! I just wish CRK would get that shipment out to the retailers!
11-07-2012, 08:07 PM   #12
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by halfspin Quote
I asked my contact at B&H to check with the buyer if they could offer such a kit. The answer is probably no, but it's worth a shot.

The K-5 II won't disappear altogether, though, because it will always be $100 cheaper, and eventually its price will fall to well below $1000, just like the old K-5 did.

Adam

11-08-2012, 02:34 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Even in the example, the moire is hard to spot except when pixel peeping.
But the better micro-contrast from the K-5 IIs will be even more hard to spot.

It seems to me that there isn't a problem if you're aware of the sort of situation that may be problematic, then adjust the aperture accordingly.
The issue is that you typically don't anticipate the moiré, i.e., you are not aware until it may be too late.

Also, I'm not sure why people want a K-5 IIs to then stop down to avoid moiré. Why not take the shot with a K-5 II with the aperture you wanted to straight away?
11-08-2012, 06:05 AM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
y not take the shot with a K-5 II with the aperture you wanted to straight away?
I want the sharpest camera, the sharpest lens, ideal lighting, the perfect composition, the best DOF, the greatest location to shoot, and all the time in the world to set up the shot. Knowing I can't have all of those, I want as many as possible - and sharpest camera is possible.
11-08-2012, 06:13 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Are there K5 II or K-5 shots of the same scene that show how visible the moire is in the filtered version? You can't really do a comparison with one photo. Oh ok, never mind, I see it.