Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
11-05-2012, 02:23 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
K-5 II/IIs lcd screen protectors?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Are there any out there or should i just cut my own?

11-05-2012, 02:41 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Do you need one at all?
11-05-2012, 02:49 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Do you need one at all?
I like scratch protection on lcd screens, As an example my blackberry looks like its been thru a war but the screen is still clear because i change out the protective film cover every 6 months.
11-05-2012, 03:03 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The new design shouldn't need any

11-05-2012, 04:36 PM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Corto-PA Quote
I like scratch protection on lcd screens, As an example my blackberry looks like its been thru a war but the screen is still clear
But do you carry your camera round like you do your phone?

Also why did Pentax bother putting all that effort into making the new K-5II rear LCD bright and clear (and tough), only to have users stick 3c worth of cheap, milky plastic over it?

Speaking as some one who has never put a screen protector on any camera he has owned, even point-and-shoots, the whole concept puzzles me.

I wear glasses, and I don't put 'screen protectors' on them either.
11-05-2012, 11:10 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
hey Rawr we live our lives differently.

I have no problem with you being "puzzled" by the concept.

My camera will not be protected by a bag or a holster, it will live its life on the floor of a pick up truck.
11-05-2012, 11:53 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

only to have users stick 3c worth of cheap, milky plastic over it
There are some very good screen protector materials out these days, and I'd rather pay to replace the cheap plastic than a scratched LCD. YMMV.

11-06-2012, 12:40 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I know, I know.
Some folks love UV filters, some folks love screen protectors. Etc.

Strangely, often folks may think optical performance (resolution test charts, BF/FF, AF performance etc) is highly important, but then stick a $5 UV filter on the front of their camera and a $2 screen protector on the back of it, and think nothing of it.

However I acknowledge that I should learn to keep my nose out of these discussions, since it isn't something that directly impacts me.
11-06-2012, 02:25 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I know, I know.
Some folks love UV filters, some folks love screen protectors. Etc.

Strangely, often folks may think optical performance (resolution test charts, BF/FF, AF performance etc) is highly important, but then stick a $5 UV filter on the front of their camera and a $2 screen protector on the back of it, and think nothing of it.

However I acknowledge that I should learn to keep my nose out of these discussions, since it isn't something that directly impacts me.
That's because you assume people buy cheap stuff and take short cuts on important things.

You'd probably have a better outlook on things like this if you assumed people weren't tight-arses.
11-06-2012, 04:31 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Vylen Quote
if you assumed people weren't tight-arses
I'm should zip it, but... frugality isn't what I assumed motivated people to make decisions about screen protectors and so on. Mainly just over-caution.

It's also an interesting camera culture behaviour. I see lots of Nikon users with screen protectors, and indeed Nikon ships one in the box with some of its high-end DSLR bodies. But I don't recall ever seeing a LCD screen protector on a Canon DSLR or, in the field, a Pentax or Olympus either.

Last edited by rawr; 11-06-2012 at 04:38 AM.
11-06-2012, 04:42 AM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by Corto-PA Quote
Are there any out there or should i just cut my own?
I've put a skinomi skin on my phone and it's excellent. They do protectors for most of high end electrical stuff. You could try them.
11-06-2012, 07:53 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I have a glass screen protector on my K-5 and it is very unobtrusive and seems fine. For my new K-5 IIs, I'm going with no protection........
11-06-2012, 09:53 AM   #13

I babied my KM and got a small scratch on the LCD. So for the cost of a screen saver, it makes sense. Plus it helps with retain resale value.

Now the K5ii might not need it with the improved screen, but if you want to be extra safe. Look into the Acmaxx 3.0 Hard LCD protector. I picked mine up for $15, and it came with a protector for the top LCD too. It looks nice and is much more durable than those flimsy screen protectors.
11-07-2012, 03:27 PM   #14
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks all for your thoughts, I think I'll wait a bit to see what comes out but if nothing else I probably buy a universal sheet from a reputable manufacturer and cut my own.
11-11-2012, 01:36 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

See link:
ACMAXX 3.0 HARD LCD ARMOR PROTECTOR Pentax K5 II K-5 2 K52 K5II Mark2 Mark K5D | eBay