Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-08-2012, 11:25 AM   #1

Flash questions

Hi all. I some have questions regarding wireless flash using pentax

1) in the menus, "flash in wireless mode", what is the difference between on and off. ON fires built-in flash in master mode, while OFF fires it in controller mode. What's the difference between the 2?

2) when using an external flash as wireless slave, is it in ttl or manual mode?

3) when I use my built in flash to fire the external flash, the built-in flash affects the picture. is there a way to work around this?

Thanks!

11-08-2012, 11:59 AM   #2

Here are a few answers, also I would consider moving this thread to the flash section of the forum.

1) I believe that the difference between MASTER and COMMANDER mode is that Master uses the built-in flash for part of the exposure. In commander mode it still fires the built-in flash but it fires at it lowest level so that it does not have a big impact on the total exposure.

2) It depends on the flash, if ti is a flash that supports p-ttl and it is in p-ttl mode then it should work as a p-ttl flash. If the flash does not support p-ttl or is not in p-ttl mode it will be a dumb slave and only fire at whatever power level it is set at.

3) There are two options, look up how to make a IR pass thru using gels. That way most of the visible light is blocked and only the IR, which triggers the slave flash, will make it thru the gels. Or you could get a set of radio triggers, I use the cactus v5 triggers which are pretty cheap and reliable, but they do not support p-ttl.

Hope that helps.
11-08-2012, 12:07 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks for your help.

Since using a controller mode does not have a big impact on the total exposure(1), why would I still need to use triggers or gels(3)? Especially since i can have pttl using the built-in flash as a controller(2)

* I have no idea how to move this thread to the flash section *
11-08-2012, 12:58 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Keep in mind to use the internal flash for the trigger that you need to use a wireless P-TTL flash because the comunication is done in P-TTL wireless, even if the flash is set on manual.

For normal photos setting the flash on controller is often enough, however with macro for example the distance between the flash and the subject is simply to close even at low settings.
Radio tiggers are the way to go if you're getting a bit serious, you can trigger multiple flashes also old ones when they are all set on manual and triggers are also more reliable.

11-08-2012, 12:58 PM   #5
Veteran Member

And radio triggers work around corners.
11-08-2012, 03:20 PM   #6

Photos: Gallery
I use a pentax AF360 on the camera and an AF540 in wireless mode for controlling lighting of close ups (orchids etc) mostly out of doors & often in quite low light. With a dedicated flash on the camera, I can use HSS mode & have the full range of exposure speeds. Because of the small distances involved I've never felt the need for radio trigger or cable.

I've experimented with the dedicated flash set to master or control. But one thing I haven't quite figured out yet is how to change the relative 'weight' of each flash - i.e. if I want the wireless flash to contribute more or less. I've tried turning the output of each flash up/down, but I'm not sure I can really detect much difference (I am probably fighting against PTTL here)...
11-09-2012, 10:02 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lwz89 Quote
Thanks for your help.

Since using a controller mode does not have a big impact on the total exposure(1), why would I still need to use triggers or gels(3)? Especially since i can have pttl using the built-in flash as a controller(2)

* I have no idea how to move this thread to the flash section *
You shouldn't need those unless the subject is quite close to the camera. Try a shot with the camera set to MASTER and another with it set to CONTROL and be sure you have the camera in wireless flash mode to start with. You should see a significant difference in the photos. If not, let us know and someone will help you figure out what many have gone wrong.
11-09-2012, 04:01 PM   #8

Original Poster
i've just tried taking a photo into the mirror with the master and controller mode. However, the results seem to be the reverse of what is said. the popup flash was alot brighter in controller mode.

In addition, i tried the same test with a subject. In controller mode, the picture seemed to be overexposed but not the master mode.

Am i doing something wrong?

11-09-2012, 04:21 PM   #9
Site Supporter

i've just tried taking a photo into the mirror with the master and controller mode. However, the results seem to be the reverse of what is said. the popup flash was alot brighter in controller mode.

In addition, i tried the same test with a subject. In controller mode, the picture seemed to be overexposed but not the master mode.

What model is the slave flash?
Do you know that it fired?
Are you sure the camera is set for wireless mode?
11-09-2012, 06:03 PM   #10

Original Poster
Metz 48. Yep the camera is set for wireless mode.

I also checked the flash visually with my eyes to make sure that it fired. its just that the pictures dont turn out the way i expected
11-09-2012, 06:11 PM   #11
Pentaxian

One of the ways to see the preflash strobe and the main strobe apart is to set the camera to 2 sec. timer delay. It also helps to choose a low shutter speed.

You'll see in order:

- Shutter release button hit.
- Preflash strobe from the built-in flash and response strobe from the remote flash.
- Mirror up
- 2 sec delay
- Shutter opening, strobe from the built-in flash telling the remote flash to fire and main strobe from the remote flash.
- Shutter closing and mirror down.
11-09-2012, 08:58 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I think using a mirror to check might not work so well - using the 2 second timer as mentioned would be better as you can stand away from the back of the camera to watch what is happening.

I see you are using a Metz flash which I am not familiar with, but with a Pentax flash, you must first mount the flash on the camera hot shoe, turn both the camera and flash on and to wireless mode, then half press the shutter button to set the wireless channel for everything to communicate properly.

[maybe a mod can move this to the flash/lighting section?]