Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-11-2012, 01:21 PM   #1

K5 Memory Card Error

Having read the data off the SD Card, it was popped back into the K5 with the recharged battery until today; neither the card(s) nor the K5 have previously given any problems.

Switched the K5 on to take some photos & couldn't understand why I couldn't take the shoot until I looked at the LCD with the 'Memory Card Error' message. Replaced the card with different one & re-formatted it but still the same message. Tried an 3rd card with the same problem so I changed batteries - no difference. I could access all the menus so it didn't seem like the K5 had totally died.

I then removed the SD Card & blew into the card slot, re-inserted the card & switched on with a different message 'Memory Card not formatted'. Reformatted the card & it's now recognising the card & has worked without a hitch all day.

I never leave the card slot door open even when the card has been removed to read the files onto the PC so I was surprised to get this problem was likely due to something causing the card from being recognised.

I'll have to keep an eye on things during the balance of the warranty.

11-12-2012, 10:49 AM   #2
Veteran Member

You probably just had some gunk on one of the contacts.

Keeping the door closed does help keep rubbish out of the slot but you can still get dirt on the card when it is outside the camera. The dirt then goes in with the card and can get lodged in the contacts.

If I were you I wouldn't worry too much about it.
11-12-2012, 04:03 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Try rubbing a soft pencil eraser over the contacts of the card to keep them clean.
11-13-2012, 08:23 AM   #4

Original Poster
It was strange that it happened on 2 different cards.

Contacts on both were clean & devoid of anything obvious, but it could have been that the 1st card transfered 'whatever it was' into the card socket which caused the 2nd card to 'fail' & blowing into the socket dislodged what was there.

11-13-2012, 03:38 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
There is an aerosol spray for electronics which is non conductive and is used to clean parts and contacts that are hard to get at with other cleaning tools. That may prove handy for you.
11-13-2012, 04:04 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have had that happen on occasion, all that was needed to make the camera happy was re-inserting the card couple times.