Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-11-2012, 10:41 PM   #1
Veteran Member

5DMKIII vs. K-5IIs.

11-12-2012, 01:50 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am thankful that this dude no longer flies commercial aircraft.
11-12-2012, 02:32 AM   #3
Veteran Member

This guy's video has about as much useful content as your average SMS message, maybe even less. A 'teaching ministry' indeed.
11-12-2012, 02:51 AM   #4
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Is there a fanclub for this guy?

11-12-2012, 03:44 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As far as I can tell the only relevant comment is "The K5 IIs... its just not there yet" and I have no idea what the hell hes basing that on.

Is this a joke or a troll perhaps?

Apparently if you qualified to be a commercial pilot at some point then you are something of a camera expert. Which is great news for me because I used to hold a commerical pilots license - so I must be an expert - shall I start a rant about how Canikon cameras are just not quite there regarding value for money to photographers? On second thought I don't want to look like an idiot too.
11-12-2012, 04:32 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Reminds me of that joke; how do you know when you've met an airline pilot at a dinner party? Don't worry, he'll tell you.
11-12-2012, 06:48 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The important thing is to notice what is behind him - over his right shoulder. A former pilot - good thing! Explains a lot.

P.S. Same argumentative flaw I've heard for years: "Because you are not such-and-such, you are not allowed to have an observation or opinion about it." Well, EXCUUUUUSE ME for having a brain!

Last edited by k0og; 11-12-2012 at 06:54 AM.
11-12-2012, 07:08 AM   #8
Veteran Member

My thoughts after watching it is he had a few points which I could agree with and we are all entitled to an opinion so I wont slag the guy lol. What striked me as realy comical is his observation about the aircraft students having there two pence worth when he himself falls into the exact same catagory in this instance. A pilot giving his views on cameras ! You very often see or hear people giving certain views on things but fail to see the exact same argument in themselves
11-12-2012, 08:26 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You guys really should watch more of his videos before forming an opinion. Watching just this one video is to take it out of context, this was an impressions series he's doing about the K5IIs and the 5D3. I've always liked his videos because unlike the 50 other videos out there that tell you just the black and white specs of the various cameras, or the hundreds of stupid unboxing videos, he gives me the one thing I'm really interested in - an impression of the camera. I can read the specs on the manufacturer's website, as well as the packing list. If you look around youtube, you'll find precious few camera videos with any meat to them. Now of course I always take this stuff with a grain of salt, because it is after all, one man's opinion, but still it's nice to get actual feedback rather than specs and test charts.

Last edited by maxfield_photo; 11-12-2012 at 10:00 AM.
11-12-2012, 08:32 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I fail to see what's so controversial about his opinion. It's pretty standard stuff. I've seen some of his other videos and he's a big Pentax fun just not delusional.
11-12-2012, 10:58 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I agree, his other reviews are more practical than most. I liked his tamron reviews and his Pentax reviews. His demeanor is eastern Oregon
11-12-2012, 11:27 AM   #12

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by westmill Quote
My thoughts after watching it is he had a few points which I could agree with and we are all entitled to an opinion so I wont slag the guy lol. What striked me as realy comical is his observation about the aircraft students having there two pence worth when he himself falls into the exact same catagory in this instance. A pilot giving his views on cameras ! You very often see or hear people giving certain views on things but fail to see the exact same argument in themselves
You only see him as a pilot, but at the same time, he has been a professional working photographer for 25+ years (quoted from his youtube channel introduction). Given this, there is nothing wrong in his argument, nothing comical at all.
The bottom line: he knows what he is talking about.
11-12-2012, 11:36 AM   #13

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kiwi_jono Quote
As far as I can tell the only relevant comment is "The K5 IIs... its just not there yet" and I have no idea what the hell hes basing that on.

Is this a joke or a troll perhaps?

Apparently if you qualified to be a commercial pilot at some point then you are something of a camera expert. Which is great news for me because I used to hold a commerical pilots license - so I must be an expert - shall I start a rant about how Canikon cameras are just not quite there regarding value for money to photographers? On second thought I don't want to look like an idiot too.
Well, this is a free forum, but hey, please respect.
I don't think the bloger is trying to use the pilot example to show he is an expert.
That's not the logic.

He did say "K-5IIs is great"! What did you only focus on the "not there yet" part?
11-12-2012, 11:38 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I watch Ed's videos a lot and i do enjoy him as he seems a straight up kind of guy. I think it's a pity he didn't elaborate on more on the K5 ii s and i don't mean a whole brick wall test review but rather some comparisons with the K5 classic in the field.
11-12-2012, 11:40 AM   #15

Apart from his verbosity, he's conclusions are valuable (maybe someone really needs to script him...?) - "If image sharpness is your major critera, FF sensor has APS-C beat by a hair."

I've been waiting ~2 years to upgrade from my 2005 *istDS that makes perfectly acceptable IQ for my primary purposes - viewing images on my computer LCD screen or LCD TV. I've just this week finally given up on the Pentx FF speculation and upgraded to a K-30. I'll report my very favorable initial impressions in a more appropriate thread but as far as IQ is concerned, it's only noticably better than the *istDS when the image has to be severely cropped.

Now I have to make an image worthy of a large format print to justify 16.3 MP versus 6...