Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-12-2012, 05:13 PM   #1

Tv mode in non-A position

Hi,
I've been reading and trying a lot of solutions to solve this problem, without success :

why can't I chose the speed in speed priority mode, when the lens is not on A position (automatic aperture) ?

I only can change the ISO, or set auto ISO (and so the speed is set automatically on 1/60s).

I would like to use TV mode and be able to change the speed.

Thanks for your help

Loïc

11-12-2012, 05:32 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The camera needs to control the aperture in TV mode. The camera can work in AV mode with a M lens wide open because the camera is controlling the shutter speed.
11-12-2012, 07:01 PM   #3
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If your lens is in the non-A position then you have to set the aperture on the lens. At the same time you want to control the shutter speed yourself. Your option is then to set the camera to M exposure mode, that mode is meant for exactly that: YOU control aperture and shutter speed!
11-12-2012, 09:03 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
If your lens is in the non-A position then you have to set the aperture on the lens. At the same time you want to control the shutter speed yourself. Your option is then to set the camera to M exposure mode, that mode is meant for exactly that: YOU control aperture and shutter speed!
What he said. Stop-down metering is intrinsically aperture priority, though you can pretty much mix it any way you want depending on your camera and how you have it set up.

Steve

11-13-2012, 01:18 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by loikos Quote
Hi,
I've been reading and trying a lot of solutions to solve this problem, without success :

why can't I chose the speed in speed priority mode, when the lens is not on A position (automatic aperture) ?

I only can change the ISO, or set auto ISO (and so the speed is set automatically on 1/60s).

I would like to use TV mode and be able to change the speed.

Thanks for your help

Loïc
Just set the aperture in A-position and Tv-mode will work. After all Tv-mode is to be used when you want to control the shutter speed and let the camera set aperture.

When setting aperture i non-A-position the camera can't control aperture and will have no info on which aperture is in use, so all automatic modes will stop working. The camera will then be locked in Av-mode no matter what automatic mode you choose, and the camera will only use the lens with aperture fully open.

If you want to control both aperture and shutter speed you can use manual mode, and if you want to use auto-ISO then you can use TAv-mode, but TAv-mode will only work if aperture is in A-position.
11-13-2012, 09:42 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks for your replies.

I realise my question sounds strange about a A lens,
Originally, I wanted to obtain a semi-manual mode when using a M42 lens on K5.
I wanted to set the real aperture on the takumar and then be able to change the speed while keeping a correct exposure (and not have to push the green button).

Now you made me understand there is no TV mode possible which would just adjust ISO from the speed you have selected. aperture measure is necessary to do so.

The advantage about the M42 lenses is that you select the aperture you want and get an auto exposure (with speed & ISO automatically moving, or by fixing ISO and see the speed move),
but you cannot fix the speed and see the ISO move (to adjust exposure), and that's what I wanted to do (some kind of TAv mode).

I will keep my actual method : in Av mode, changing the ISO to get the speed I want.

Sorry about my tiresome english, I'm not a native speaker.
11-13-2012, 03:04 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by loikos Quote
Thanks for your replies.

I realise my question sounds strange about a A lens,
Originally, I wanted to obtain a semi-manual mode when using a M42 lens on K5.
I wanted to set the real aperture on the takumar and then be able to change the speed while keeping a correct exposure (and not have to push the green button).

Now you made me understand there is no TV mode possible which would just adjust ISO from the speed you have selected. aperture measure is necessary to do so.

The advantage about the M42 lenses is that you select the aperture you want and get an auto exposure (with speed & ISO automatically moving, or by fixing ISO and see the speed move),
but you cannot fix the speed and see the ISO move (to adjust exposure), and that's what I wanted to do (some kind of TAv mode).

I will keep my actual method : in Av mode, changing the ISO to get the speed I want.

Sorry about my tiresome english, I'm not a native speaker.
Your English is fine.