Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-15-2012, 04:44 PM   #61

for Anvh:

link

Up K5II, Down K5IIs both processed the same in LR4, ISO1600

11-15-2012, 05:12 PM   #62
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
By now, I've seen numerous comparissons, and there is a difference between the two... But not even the ones where the sharpness increase of the K5IIs is obvious justifies me upgrading from K5 classic to IIs.
+1. This slight increase in sharpness is not worth the 700 bux it would take for me to buy the IIs.
For Pre- K-5 Pentaxians it's a no brainer to get the II (or IIs if you are so inclined).
For current K-5 Pentaxians, I just do not see performance benefit to cost ratio being high enough.
11-16-2012, 08:45 AM   #63
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by adi3000 Quote
for Anvh:

link

No idea what you want to proof with that?
You said you could push the S version further but these are with the same settings so that doesn't make it valid for your claim.
11-16-2012, 09:00 AM   #64
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
You said you could push the S version further but these are with the same settings so that doesn't make it valid for your claim.
I agree here. I would like to see each one pushed to it's absolute max to see if more detail can actually be rendered by the s without any compromise in overall quality of the photo.

11-16-2012, 09:06 AM   #65
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteQuote:
For current K-5 Pentaxians, I just do not see performance benefit to cost ratio being high enough.
I came to the same conclusion when it comes to upgrading to any camera besides a D800. Comparisons are mixed, with no clear advantage, to any system. I've ended up in "keep what you got mode." Even with a D800 I'm not sure I'll ever need that kind of resolution. It's better in terms of it's optic, but that doesn't necessarily translate to better in terms of aesthetics. No one has ever been able to define the point at which a d800 print looks better than a k-5 (or anyone's high end DSLR, FF or APS-c). New lenses will make much more improvement to my images than any camera body out there, short of a Phase II or digital scanning back.
11-16-2012, 09:06 AM   #66
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I agree here. I would like to see each one pushed to it's absolute max to see if more detail can actually be rendered by the s without any compromise in overall quality of the photo.
Look at the underside of the coins, you see the sharpening halo there already coming through. I think the S version is on it's MAX there but you can push the normal version a bit more it seems.
So it seems the S version might win looking sharper but i'm still missing the claim that the S version can resolve more details though.

I doubt the S version is worth the moire trouble and the extra 100 bucks for something you only see on your screen when you fully zoom in...
11-16-2012, 09:25 AM   #67
Pentaxian

It may just be me, but what halos?
11-16-2012, 09:33 AM   #68
Veteran Member

Middle photos with the coins.
Where the black bottom of the coin meet the white background you've a very bright white between the two.
This a halo that you get from sharpening.

Sharping works with increasing the contrast locally.

here is an example, where black and white meets the sharpening makes the white even whiter and the black blacker increasing the contrast locally making it appear sharper.

11-16-2012, 09:34 AM   #69
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by adi3000 Quote
for Anvh:

link

To me the K5IIs is overdone, does not look natural. It seem the more some are trying to show how much better the K5IIs is, the less I am convinced that the +'s overcome the -'s.
11-16-2012, 09:36 AM   #70
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
It may just be me, but what halos?
Right on the bottom curvature of the coins. Very slight. I didn't notice them until Anvh pointed them out, but they're there.
11-16-2012, 09:43 AM   #71
Pentaxian

I can only seem to see it on the right most (darkest coin) - not entirely sure if I'm looking at it properly.
11-16-2012, 09:47 AM   #72
Pentaxian

I wish all my choices in life were as meaningless as the choice between these two cameras. I've come to the conclusion I want the K-II or IIs depending on what my mood is the day I go in the store, for the low light and hopefully better auto-focus for birds in flight..if I have to strain my eyes to see a difference, practically, there is no difference. I'll probably go for a IIs, because I have a K-5, that seems to handle moire quite well.
11-16-2012, 09:51 AM   #73
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I'll probably go for a IIs, because I have a K-5, that seems to handle moire quite well.
Norm, I think that's the sensible thing since you have a K-5 already. I'm still using a K20D, so either is a significant upgrade for me, but being the obsessive-compulsive that I am, which version isn't an easy choice. It will most likely be the IIs, though.
11-16-2012, 09:59 AM   #74

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
My point is: K5II cannot support the same processing as K5IIs. Where K5IIs look good, K5II already have problems with more noise, the blur remains and more: look at the queen of hearts card, blue lines already become pixelated; look at the front coin. I repeat up is K5II down is K5IIs. Of course the differences are minimal but exist and if I go back with processing to put K5II at the same noise level as K5IIs, it become worst. Pleas look at my post in the full version of images. The crops are compressed in jpg again and more degradation may appear.
I am not defending K5IIs in any way, there are only my findings. I am still unsure if k5iis will be better then K5ii but not in term of sharpness or low light capabilities because will be, but in term of bad moire and bad aliasing (color aberration) (bad, i mean, to appear in every images and on a large scale). And from what I see until now, is present predominant at f5.6 in bright day light and when you use flash, in shiny black areas, in hair, in some clothes, in trees, in power lines, fences, roofs and anything with small repeating pattern. And some can be remove, some not, but if every picture needs processing of this kind is not worth it.
11-16-2012, 10:14 AM   #75

QuoteOriginally posted by regor Quote
It seem the more some are trying to show how much better the K5IIs is
I'm not seeing that in this thread. Quite the opposite. I'm still waiting for someone to post up some comparisons of something other than studio shots, and with each (II and IIs) processed to their fullest. Examples such as those from the PF review of the II/IIs here. For someone like myself who owns zero Pentax gear (yet), I honestly do not care which camera is better. I would like to see at least a few owner arguments for the IIs, as opposed to all the anti-IIs here.