Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
11-15-2012, 04:11 AM   #46
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
A comparison to show the result. Mine's post processed using fastone image viewer, adjusting the levels, colors and applying the default USM Sharpness.

Attached Images

11-15-2012, 04:49 AM   #47
Veteran Member

By now, I've seen numerous comparissons, and there is a difference between the two... But not even the ones where the sharpness increase of the K5IIs is obvious justifies me upgrading from K5 classic to IIs.
11-15-2012, 05:52 AM   #48
Pentaxian

Thanks, John, for your contributions to a fair comparison between cameras with and without Bayer-AA-filter.

I'd like to confirm that using capture-sharpening for the K-5 II and not the K-5 IIs is exactly the right thing to do. Only the former uses a Bayer-AA-filter whose effect needs to be undone. An identical processing of both images would be as wrong as using the same processing for two images where one has been deliberately underexposed to protect highlights, or playing back a tape without Dolby de-emphasis even though it has been recorded using Dolby emphasis.

BTW, the source material is not ideal because the focus points are not the same. They are better, though, than the PF comparisons involving very soft shots from a K-5 that apparently has focus issues with at least some lenses and far away subjects.
11-15-2012, 09:58 AM   #49
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wahid_satu Quote
A comparison to show the result. Mine's post processed using fastone image viewer, adjusting the levels, colors and applying the default USM Sharpness.
Wow that really cleaned things up.
I'm going to try my hand at this and see what I can do with RT using the same approach. (very interesting btw).

11-15-2012, 10:01 AM   #50
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
I'd like to confirm that using capture-sharpening for the K-5 II and not the K-5 IIs is exactly the right thing to do. Only the former uses a Bayer-AA-filter whose effect needs to be undone. An identical processing of both images would be as wrong as using the same processing for two images where one has been deliberately underexposed to protect highlights, or playing back a tape without Dolby de-emphasis even though it has been recorded using Dolby emphasis.
I wonder if someone could be motivated to code a deblur script to do the job? GordonB perhaps?

QuoteQuote:
BTW, the source material is not ideal because the focus points are not the same. They are better, though, than the PF comparisons involving very soft shots from a K-5 that apparently has focus issues with at least some lenses and far away subjects.
Yes I saw that. Looking at the fur above the red cloth sample, it becomes obvious that the two units had difference focusing points which is to bad, though I also think there is enough detail that falling on the same focusing plane to draw some fairly good conclusions:

ie. from what I can see, the K-5 II can match and in many cases exceed what the K-5 IIs can capture.
11-15-2012, 10:07 AM   #51
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
By now, I've seen numerous comparissons, and there is a difference between the two... But not even the ones where the sharpness increase of the K5IIs is obvious justifies me upgrading from K5 classic to IIs.
Based on my own experiences, moire is a cruel mistress.
I shot on a system without an AA filter in the past thinking I'd be okay due to the fact that I shot mainly landscapes. And boy was I wrong.

From my own experiences, moire and aliasing are the type of things that creeps up on you, until the day where it magically appears in every photo you've ever taken.

Case and point, it didn't pay off for me in the end, though I do feel quite positive about the lack of an AA filter on higher MP sensors such as the 645D or D800E for example.
11-15-2012, 10:35 AM   #52
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by adi3000 Quote
Of course there are small artifacts, but I squeeze almost everything form the images and I cannot do more with K5II and still in this stage it has some blur. I can match sharpness and clarity but k5II will become more noisy then k5IIs.
But how come that the artifacts are more pronounced with your S photo then with the normal version?

11-15-2012, 11:07 AM   #53

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
But how come that the artifacts are more pronounced with your S photo then with the normal version?
It is not. In K5II are more pronounced and still more blur.
11-15-2012, 11:46 AM   #54
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm thinking processing is as much to blame at this stage. Which is partly why I presented unprocessed images at the introduction of the thread. Aside from that, I'm thinking the higher ISO images may be getting the best of the assessment in the end. Having said that, consider the differences between nominal sensitivities and the higher ones in the following crops:

K-5 IIs

K-5 II

Hope this helps.
11-15-2012, 11:49 AM   #55
Pentaxian

Has anyone figured out if the AA filters on the classic K-5 and the K-5 II are of equal "strength", i.e. is there any difference between the two cameras in terms of the final image? Pentax claims not, but it would be nice to know for sure. (Obviously there are a few differences in features, AF, etc.)
11-15-2012, 12:36 PM   #56
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Has anyone figured out if the AA filters on the classic K-5 and the K-5 II are of equal "strength", i.e. is there any difference between the two cameras in terms of the final image? Pentax claims not, but it would be nice to know for sure. (Obviously there are a few differences in features, AF, etc.)
I've always found the K-5 II filter to be rather strong, though I don't get that from any of the K-5 II images I've seen to date. That being said, if Pentax didn't modify the AA filter, there is still the possibility that they improved something in front of the sensor.
11-15-2012, 03:02 PM   #57
Veteran Member

Then your looking at a different photo maybe, did you swab the photos by accident?
11-15-2012, 03:03 PM   #58
Veteran Member

If not then please point me to the differences, i already have but you haven't so it's your turn now.
11-15-2012, 03:10 PM   #59
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
I'm thinking processing is as much to blame at this stage. Which is partly why I presented unprocessed images at the introduction of the thread. Aside from that, I'm thinking the higher ISO images may be getting the best of the assessment in the end. Having said that, consider the differences between nominal sensitivities and the higher ones in the following crops:
Was talking about his images, he said he could push the S version further but i'm actually seeing more sharpening artefacts with the more pushed version of the mkIIs then with his less sharpened normal version.
So i'm missing his proof.

As for your examples.
I don't see much if any details or increase in resolution with the mkIIs shots, i find the moire more concerning then the sharper look. The edited version of the mkIIs i find actually over-sharpened.
11-15-2012, 03:48 PM   #60
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
Wow that really cleaned things up. I'm going to try my hand at this and see what I can do with RT using the same approach. (very interesting btw).
Am interested to see your results. BTW, I found that if we stick to Amaze demosaic and use the same 5 steps false color suppression, the result is similar to using hphd and 5 steps. Though hphd does it a touch better (I'm splitting hair). This, combined with manual moire removal using lightroom or photoshop or the like, should alleviate some concerns over moire.

Found some info on moire reduction from much more qualified ppl.Bayer moire | LibRaw