Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-16-2012, 07:29 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Excellent K5IIs Review - Moire & Diffraction

Morning All, I came across this excellent review of the IIs over at neocamera. One interesting item within the review (page 3 - Performance), is their observation on moire and diffraction....

QuoteQuote:
There are two solutions to eliminate moire, one before capture and one after. Diffraction causes a natural anti-alias filter and sets in around F/9.5 on the K-5 IIs. This means that any photographs taken at F/9.5 will have the same chance of moire as a camera with an anti-alias filter.

Yet another aspect to all of this is, post processing - specifically RAW processors. I see that DXO has an updated version along with a Raw processor from the Noise Ninja folks. I am wondering what would be the best pairing of a RAW processor with the K5IIs - along with excellent glass?

11-16-2012, 09:37 AM   #2
Forum Member

I would say it would have the same chance of moire as a camera with an anti-alias filter shooting (fairly) wide open. If the anti-aliased camera is shooting at f8 or f9.8 it will effectively have two filters and thus less moire than the IIs at f9.5.
11-16-2012, 11:08 AM   #3
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
We didn't shoot at F9.5 when we did the tests for PF, but we did verify that moire was gone at F11.