Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-17-2012, 04:37 PM   #16
HSV
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
Well, if others are noticing similar results, it's likely that it is reducing the occurrence of PF. Other unexpected and unannounced (by Pentax) benefits of the IIs have already been observed, such as the extra stop in SR performance. I've already speculated that Pentax may not have even noticed that one - or if they did, they didn't want to advertise it.

However, I'm content to leave the formal testing to others for now.
Interesting! What is the relation ship between the AA filter and the better SR performance?

11-17-2012, 05:25 PM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by HSV Quote
What is the relation ship between the AA filter and the better SR performance?
Myth.
11-17-2012, 07:19 PM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by regor Quote
Interesting about the FA77 on K-01. Can we see these shots 100% crop ?
I already deleted the "before" shots - to keep a clean card for the firmware to go to a "root" - and everything shot since with the 77 are flawless

It was a closeup of my contax G camera (a platinum colored camera for anyone not familiar) sitting on a letter on my desk in front of me with high level of daylight colored artificial light. Every high contrast edge behind the focal point was rimmed with green; everything in front of the focus was rimmed with purple. BADLY rimmed with color.

Like I said I had never seen it this bad before and could not get it to do it after firmware update, not even a bit
11-18-2012, 01:11 AM   #19
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
I might see if I can take some high contrast images to check this out. I haven't noticed much purple fringing on my DA55-300 in the past, though.
I did manage to generate some purple fringing with a rather extreme image of sunlight reflecting off water. The fringing looks more blue than purple though. On the other hand I still like the image and it is stunningly sharp. The sharpness of the images I took today with the DA 16-45 and the K5iis is breathtaking IMO. Granted I'm going from a K200 and K7 to a K5iis but I am wrapped in the results from this camera. No noise, beautifully sharp, and the camera seems to me to get better colour balance and better exposures while focussing with far more success.

Here's the full frame. You can see the colour fringing in the brightest part of the reflected sunlight.

Here's the detail of the part with fringing, 1:1 on the pixels.

Here's the rock from the image at 1:1. I am stunned by the sharpness of this, and the utter lack of noise. The photo was hand held, so perhaps it could have been sharper if it was on a tripod, but at 1/320s there's not likely to be much motion blur.

Last edited by RobG; 11-18-2012 at 02:02 AM. Reason: added pics
11-27-2012, 07:54 PM   #20
Inactive Account

Perhaps it's me, but I don't really see much actual "fringing" in that photo. I see some purple/green "splotches" on the rock itself, but the faint coloring in the actual highlights (reflections) seems pretty uniform (i.e. not asymmetrical). Bottom line: I can't wait for my K-5 IIs :-)
11-28-2012, 03:52 AM   #21
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jasonwarth Quote
Perhaps it's me, but I don't really see much actual "fringing" in that photo. I see some purple/green "splotches" on the rock itself, but the faint coloring in the actual highlights (reflections) seems pretty uniform (i.e. not asymmetrical). Bottom line: I can't wait for my K-5 IIs :-)
I wasn't noting fringing on the rock, I was noting fringing on the bright water reflections. The reason I mentioned the rock was that at 1:1 all the pixels are useful instead of the blur I used to see at 1:1 from the K200D or K-7.
11-30-2012, 11:53 AM   #22
Inactive Account

I wasn't noting fringing on the rock, I was noting fringing on the bright water reflections
yes—I understand that's what you were saying. What I was saying is that whatever "fringing" you're noting on the reflections is not apparent to me. Said another way: the image (and lack of purple fringing) is impressive.

11-30-2012, 12:29 PM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jasonwarth Quote
Said another way: the image (and lack of purple fringing) is impressive.
I don't think so since judging from the star-shaped reflections, the shot was taken with a rather small aperture. Even PF monsters don't show PF at such apertures.

The blue haze we are seeing looks like local flare, I'm pretty sure a K-5 II would have produced the same.
11-30-2012, 07:29 PM   #24
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
I don't think so since judging from the star-shaped reflections, the shot was taken with a rather small aperture. Even PF monsters don't show PF at such apertures. The blue haze we are seeing looks like local flare, I'm pretty sure a K-5 II would have produced the same.
OK, how about this image, taken at f6.3 using the DA53 limited.

And the details at 1:1 on the pixels.

PS Note that the OP was suggesting that the K5iis didn't show PF. The image above seems to show a type of fringing IMO. I'm not complaining about my K-5iis BTW.

Last edited by RobG; 11-30-2012 at 07:31 PM. Reason: more info
11-30-2012, 09:39 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nope. The edges of the flowers on that plant are translucent which makes it appear as if there is fringing. I have yet to see any example of fringing with the IIs.

Jack
11-30-2012, 11:35 PM   #26
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
Nope. The edges of the flowers on that plant are translucent which makes it appear as if there is fringing. I have yet to see any example of fringing with the IIs.
Looking at other photos of the same seed pods, the edges aren't translucent in the way you suggest. The effect seems to be the way that the camera has processed the high contrast edge between the subject and the background. I think it may be the result of the camera sharpening the image?
11-30-2012, 11:51 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Looking at other photos of the same seed pods, the edges aren't translucent in the way you suggest. The effect seems to be the way that the camera has processed the high contrast edge between the subject and the background. I think it may be the result of the camera sharpening the image?
I thought so too.
12-04-2012, 04:06 PM   #28
Veteran Member

After just receiving my new K-5 IIs, I've only had a brief chance to shoot with it in the field. IMO, PF and CA are considerably less with this sensor than with any previous body. I shoot an FA* 300/4.5 + P F 1.7x AFA most often (I'm a birder). The FA* 300/4.5 controls bot PF and DA reasonably well, but the AFA magnifies the color aberrations in high contrast shots.

With the K-5 IIs, my first high contrast shots showed considerably less CA than about 6 years of experience with this lens/TC combo has led me to expect, and little or no PF. Again, this is very preliminary -- less than 200 shots with the new camera so far, and only a few high contrast (birds/branches backilt against a bright sky) Here are a couple of examples -- sharpened a bit to offset downsizing for the web, but no other PP) The CA/PF is wider and a bit more apparent in the full size shots, but not nearly as vibrant or distracting as has been usual. I was experimenting with EV comp to see what the best method of shooting this type of shot might be.

This one I shot at +2 Ev comp and I brought the exposure down in PP. Red/Green CA is evident on the branches, but not to the extent expected -- I expected massive PF on the Nuthatch's head and beak and along the trunk of the tree, but there really is none

This one was shot at 0Ev comp and I brought the exposure up in PP. A little Red CA evident on the tree trunk, but nothing really on the bird. The first shot is more a more accurate reproduction of the frame, but the bird looks a bit better in this one, IMO

This was strictly an ID shot. I didn't bother to get the focus spot on, just wanted to see what the bird was. To the naked eye, the bird was completely silhouetted against the sky. The Sun was setting just out of frame to the left. Shot at +2 Ev comp. This type of shot would usually be a CA/PF mess, but the color aberrations aren't really objectionable at full size, and are hardly noticeable downsized unless you're looking for them.

Certainly not proof by any means, but I think indicative of what I can expect from this camera. It might be the sensor, it might be the processing engine. . . I don't know. . . All I do know is that I expect to be doing a whole lot less correcting for color aberrations in PP with the K-5 IIs. . .

Scott
12-04-2012, 04:19 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by snostorm Quote
With the K-5 IIs, my first high contrast shots showed considerably less CA
Thanks for those pix. Birding shots I can relate to. Were these shot RAW or JPEGs?

The K-5 IIs is starting to look even more interesting - better AF, maybe better sharpness, maybe less CA/PF.
12-04-2012, 05:55 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Thanks for those pix. Birding shots I can relate to. Were these shot RAW or JPEGs?

The K-5 IIs is starting to look even more interesting - better AF, maybe better sharpness, maybe less CA/PF.
Hi rawr,

Jpegs. The main reasons I wanted the K-5 IIs were to see if I could get some advantage from SAFOX X and to see first hand what removing the AA filter would be. I consider the CA/PF improvement an unexpected bonus.

Scott