Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-04-2012, 06:22 PM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by snostorm Quote
Jpegs.
Aha. Interesting.

I know that the camera can optionally apply some CA correction to JPEG's under the 'Lens Correction' options menu. Pentax say these adjustments only apply to DA L, DA, D FA and only some FA lenses, and also don't work when teleconvertors are used. But I wonder if somewhere in the K-II/ K-IIs camera firmware it is still performing some CA correction to JPEGs, even if the option isn't set?

Nikon has been doing it for years for lateral CA in the D700, D7000, D90 etc in a way that isn't dependent on lens brand or teleconvertor use.

Do K-5 IIs RAW's look the same as JPEGs when it comes to CA/PF?

12-04-2012, 08:06 PM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Aha. Interesting.

I know that the camera can optionally apply some CA correction to JPEG's under the 'Lens Correction' options menu. Pentax say these adjustments only apply to DA L, DA, D FA and only some FA lenses, and also don't work when teleconvertors are used. But I wonder if somewhere in the K-II/ K-IIs camera firmware it is still performing some CA correction to JPEGs, even if the option isn't set?

Nikon has been doing it for years for lateral CA in the D700, D7000, D90 etc in a way that isn't dependent on lens brand or teleconvertor use.

Do K-5 IIs RAW's look the same as JPEGs when it comes to CA/PF?
Hi rawr,

It might be possible that the processor in the camera could be set up to suppress CA/PF. I suggested in my original post in this thread that it could either be the sensor or in camera processing that was responsible.I recall seeing a post where a user updated FW in his K01, and noticed that PF was greatly reduced with the same lens after the update. This might be a tweak that Ricoh/Pentax is adding somewhere in the processing chain, but I don't think, in this case, it's connected to the Lens Correction mode since I've never use Lens Correction in any of my cameras since it slows down the works too much..

The 1.7x AFA is an "F" series adapter, and has its own unique ID # within the Pentax Lens world. SR-equipped cameras recognize it and return to the last FL entered when it was mounted. The AFA cannot pass lens ID from the lens though as there is no Data pin on the lens side of the adapter. The only data that is transferred from the lens to the camera body is aperture info, which is automatically recalculated to indicate the 1.7x factor.

I can't answer for the K-5 IIs RAW images because I haven't gotten to trying RAW in this camera yet.

Scott
12-04-2012, 10:12 PM   #33

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by snostorm Quote
Hi rawr,

It might be possible that the processor in the camera could be set up to suppress CA/PF. I suggested in my original post in this thread that it could either be the sensor or in camera processing that was responsible.I recall seeing a post where a user updated FW in his K01, and noticed that PF was greatly reduced with the same lens after the update. This might be a tweak that Ricoh/Pentax is adding somewhere in the processing chain, but I don't think, in this case, it's connected to the Lens Correction mode since I've never use Lens Correction in any of my cameras since it slows down the works too much..

The 1.7x AFA is an "F" series adapter, and has its own unique ID # within the Pentax Lens world. SR-equipped cameras recognize it and return to the last FL entered when it was mounted. The AFA cannot pass lens ID from the lens though as there is no Data pin on the lens side of the adapter. The only data that is transferred from the lens to the camera body is aperture info, which is automatically recalculated to indicate the 1.7x factor.

I can't answer for the K-5 IIs RAW images because I haven't gotten to trying RAW in this camera yet.

Scott
If the reduction of ca/pf is processor based then the improvement should also be in the k5ii. I recently bought the k30 and have noticed that with the 77Ltd the amount of ca/pf is less than with my k5.
12-05-2012, 02:05 AM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by everydaylife Quote
I recently bought the k30 and have noticed that with the 77Ltd the amount of ca/pf is less than with my k5.
Hmmm. K-01, K-30, K-5 IIs all showing the same sort of PF improvements.
The plot thickens.

12-05-2012, 04:30 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
With the upgraded firmware, my K-01 does seem to have less PF. I've been pleasantly surprised that PF seems to be reduced with my K-5IIs. A few of my lenses that showed obvious PF with my K-5 seem to have less with my K-5IIs... for example the FA135mm f/2.8
12-05-2012, 10:23 AM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If it is firmware then it is not likely to work with older KM lenses, no? If somebody sticks an old manual PF monster on a IIs and still sees little PF then it has to be outside the electrical lens/processor pipeline anyway.
12-05-2012, 11:44 AM   #37

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Hmmm. K-01, K-30, K-5 IIs all showing the same sort of PF improvements.
The plot thickens.
I was stunned at the difference in the PF from my 77 in just the matter of the few minutes it took to install the new firmware on my new K-01.

BEFORE firmware 1.01 MASSIVE PF
AFTER firmware 1.01 Virtually no PF

night and day

I am very curious if this is the case with the K5II as well. The new flagship to come will probably inherit this trait.

Is this due to Ricoh input to the firmware side of things somehow?

12-05-2012, 02:10 PM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
If it is firmware then it is not likely to work with older KM lenses, no?
Who knows.
The approach Nikon takes with automatic CA/PF correction seems to produce at least some improvement with any brand or model or age lens. Perhaps the Pentax firmware might work the same way.

It would be understandable if the firmware only maintained a database of the properties of modern Pentax lenses, so these could be corrected more precisely, but a generic CA/PF correction algorithm in the firmware (if it exists) could mean even the oldest Takumar might obtain a benefit.