Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-17-2012, 01:19 PM   #1

Why do K5 IIs reds look different?

From the other forum samples:

The reds from RAW in K5 IIs seem to have a different hue than those from K5 II RAW or K5 IIs JPEG. Anyone know why?

11-17-2012, 01:51 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Because there are software tricks in RAW to improve details. Tricks like noise reduction, desaturating, sharpening... I have no idea is this a test of final production K5IIs or pre-production but ... from the test I see color noise reduction in shadows and desaturated colors so the feathers in the test to look more detailed. In my opinion with a lens like sigma 70 2.8 macro the K5IIs and Nikon D5100 will give the 100% same detail and sharpness.

PS NEX7 outclasses every other APS-C camera in this test. So... for me the K5IIs is overpriced and more marketing and advertising than something really new and cool.
11-17-2012, 01:54 PM   #3

Original Poster
The K5 II RAW looks different from the K5 IIs RAW.
11-17-2012, 02:08 PM   #4

That was what I'm talking about. You can look in the left side of the Bayleys label in the shadow of the bottle, compare those cameras there: Nikon D5100, Pentax K30, K5II, K5IIs and see what happens.

11-17-2012, 02:15 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Hello again sanjeevdas, perhaps the following will help:

PS. if you load both images in tabs, you can jump between them to better spot the difference.
11-17-2012, 02:46 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The main difference between the K5II and IIs is the AA or Anti Ailiasing filter. The IIs lacks the AA filter. This filter is similar to looking through a screen door, so when the filter is not there, the sensor records color light slightly differently. Red colors are the most effected by this. The other aspect is the difference between RAW and Jpg. RAW is the information right from the sensor without any processing, while JPG is processed information (therefore some adjustments).
11-17-2012, 03:47 PM   #7

Original Poster
interested_observer: It is interesting to know that the reds are affected by the lack of an AA filter.

JohnBee,

It is interesting that under the same settings using raw therapee the K5II and K5IIs look the same. I don't have the K5II. I have a K5, so I am comparing my K5 images vs the K5IIs images developed under the same settings in Aperture. It looks like my raw converter converts the K5 and K5IIs very differently:

K5 IIs DNG

K5 PEF

K5 DNG

11-17-2012, 04:38 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sanjeevdas Quote
It is interesting that under the same settings using raw therapee the K5II and K5IIs look the same. I don't have the K5II. I have a K5, so I am comparing my K5 images vs the K5IIs images developed under the same settings in Aperture. It looks like my raw converter converts the K5 and K5IIs very differently:
I'd look at WB first and foremost.

I'm thinking there are subtle shifts between both units that are likely contributing to the differences. ie. the K-5 IIs seems consistently cooler than the K-5 II, which I believe to be affecting the overall cast. And you could test this theory by effectuating identical WB calibrations on each image using the same software.
11-17-2012, 05:17 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I find that digital cameras often render the reds more purplish than red. Jpeg tends to try and fix that, but the raw files, to me, seem to always be a bit off with reds, so you have to play with white balance and camera calibration / red channel hue and saturation to get it right. (to get it "as it was" or at least "as you want it")
11-17-2012, 11:08 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hrm.

I wonder how the K5IIs would react with the cheap ND filters I own.

Asking, as the ND filters turn everything a funky reddish hue which was explained away to me as being due to the sensor's sensitivity to the IR spectrum combined with cheap filters on my part. If that sensitivity was due to the AA filter (and not the sensor as was explained to me) it means that there could be a marked difference in the affects on a long ND exposure.

Anyone with a K5IIs and some ND filters kicking around who could check this?
11-17-2012, 11:52 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Colour in LR4 is affected by which Camera Profile you are using and unfortunately the K-5 only uses the Adobe Standard in that program. My D800E has numerous Camera Profiles to choose from within LR4 which all affect the 'look' of the shot. I prefer the Camera Neutral as my starting point as it isn't hyped in any parameter area at all. You could probably edit a profile to correct the over-saturated reds from the Pentax in LR I suppose.

PS: When I first got my Nikon I found the blues to look over-hyped ( to saturated and almost green) but I eventually found this was the result of the Adobe Standard Camera Profile I was using. This issue went away as soon as I started selecting the cameras own profiles within LR4.
11-18-2012, 12:56 AM   #12

That was my point too - color depend on the camera and software after that. In the case of K5IIs - colors are reduced in the camera, not by the AA filter(which is there, the camera has AA filter, it just works differently) the idea of reducing saturation is that the colors do not burn therefore the details are not burned. If you look closer to the DPREVIEW review you all will see what I'm talking about, the nikon D5100 has the same levels of moire and detail as the K5IIs but if you compare the cameras on the blue feathers in the scene you will see that the K5IIs has a little more detail - try to download the raw files and make them equal in you raw convertor, if the colors are the same - the detail is the same.
11-18-2012, 03:10 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sanjeevdas Quote
interested_observer: It is interesting to know that the reds are affected by the lack of an AA filter.
Except that the reds aren't affect by the lack of an AA filter. Compare the two images posted by John Bee and you'll find that the reds are identical.