Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-20-2012, 06:50 AM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Dunno... I get the impression that he's just bored. Perhaps, the D800 is his 'mid-life crisis' cam. Frankly, I prefer the personal challenges offered by the Pentax 'weed patch.' My attraction to the K-5 (and Q) system is that they seem to offer an enthusiast room to grow; that is, they need evolving talent behind the viewfinder to 'complete the picture.' If the K-5/Q was perfect (as some claim for the D800), they would be boring and the fun would soon disappear.

...my 2 cents... M

11-20-2012, 10:35 AM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by amorificus Quote
Real photographers don't blog about what cameras or lenses they use because it doesn't really matter. Real photographers just post their pictures.
Thats a real sweeping generalization. By your logic, a "real" photogapher cannot supplement his income by talking about photography equipment...lol. Does that make sense to you?
I don't know where you live, but in certain places people need money to eat, pay rent, you know buy things. I am sure all the photographers you know are wealthy and live in huge estates, but the ones I know are not as lucky. They need other jobs to put food on the table because most people in today's economy don't have disposable income to buy artwork. So instead of working at Walmart or being a waiter, he decided to supplement his income by writing about something he knows about, photography gear.
11-20-2012, 10:55 AM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Michaelina2 Quote
Dunno... I get the impression that he's just bored. Perhaps, the D800 is his 'mid-life crisis' cam. Frankly, I prefer the personal challenges offered by the Pentax 'weed patch.' My attraction to the K-5 (and Q) system is that they seem to offer an enthusiast room to grow; that is, they need evolving talent behind the viewfinder to 'complete the picture.' If the K-5/Q was perfect (as some claim for the D800), they would be boring and the fun would soon disappear.

...my 2 cents... M
There's great truth in what you write. Despite my earlier post supporting Mike Johnston's position that Pentax needs more lenses (a position I still share with him), I've always found the quirkiness of the Pentax system to be interesting and endearing. Maybe that's why I also have a Q and have just picked up a K-01. And why Fuji's X series of cameras is so appealing to me. Remember Pentax's ad campaign from last year? "Be interesting." Maybe a lot of people didn't understand it.
11-20-2012, 11:56 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The Online Photographer is probably the best photography blog on the web, and Mike Johnston is one of the best writers on the subject of photography. His blog is very personal and often veers off into non-photography related topics. But he is a bit of a wanderer when it comes to gear. I guess that goes with the territory of blogging on the subject. It will not surprise me in the least if one or two years hence he announces that he has grown weary of carrying the FF D800 and is moving on to something smaller and lighter. Who knows, it is even possible that Pentax will have broken the FF mold by then. But considering the IQ that is possible from the K-5, I'm not at all sure that I would be interested.

Rob

11-21-2012, 12:04 PM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Biro Quote
There's great truth in what you write. Despite my earlier post supporting Mike Johnston's position that Pentax needs more lenses (a position I still share with him), I've always found the quirkiness of the Pentax system to be interesting and endearing. Maybe that's why I also have a Q and have just picked up a K-01. And why Fuji's X series of cameras is so appealing to me. Remember Pentax's ad campaign from last year? "Be interesting." Maybe a lot of people didn't understand it.
That would be letting the brands you associate yourself with "define" who you are. this illusion is why Branding/Marketing Depts. exist.
11-22-2012, 09:00 AM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by illdefined Quote
That would be letting the brands you associate yourself with "define" who you are. this illusion is why Branding/Marketing Depts. exist.
I dunno. Personally, I was a Pentaxian long before they launched that modest campaign. In my personal case, perhaps the marketing reflected rather than defined me. For example, I own a Subaru rather than a Toyota or Honda. The Subaru is far from perfect but I think it's a lot more interesting than the other two brands which, although excellent, tend to be a bit boring and appliance-like, IMHO.
11-22-2012, 09:25 AM   #37
Veteran Member

An oddly written article. His entire reason was the lack of a 23-24mm lens (equiv. 35mm)? Kind of hard to believe...

I do agree with him that finding some focal lengths was a pita with Pentax, but in my case I wasn't too fond of 24mm on APS-C after getting a hold of the FA* 24mm f2. There are options available, it just takes more effort to find some.

11-22-2012, 11:58 AM - 1 Like   #38
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I wonder if the lack of wide fast primes on Pentax has to do at least with shortcomings of the AF system. In any case they could use a fast 24mm lens. If you like wide and fast, FF seems to be the easiest route. That's my reason for being in FF.
11-22-2012, 12:06 PM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RyanW Quote
I wonder if the lack of wide fast primes on Pentax has to do at least with shortcomings of the AF system. In any case they could use a fast 24mm lens. If you like wide and fast, FF seems to be the easiest route. That's my reason for being in FF.
Excellent point.
11-22-2012, 02:30 PM   #40
Pentaxian

[deleted]

Last edited by beholder3; 08-12-2013 at 01:37 AM.
11-22-2012, 05:20 PM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
I wonder why someone who poses as a person knowing their stuff has not even tried the excellent 24/1.4.
It clearly surpasses other competition IQ wise and the only limitation is it is MF.
If that hinders someone who expresses his love for the focal length ... I can't see credibility or competence.
I'm sure he has plenty of 35mm and equivalent lenses for his other cameras. He's not wedded to Pentax and has a D800 and some mirrorless cameras. They offer better IQ (D800) or smaller size (the mirrorless cameras) and Pentax doesn't offer his favourite focal length, so it's entirely reasonable for him to move on. It has nothing to do with competence or credibility. If you are solely a Pentax shooter and need the 35mm focal length, then yes, the Samyang makes a lot of sense.
11-23-2012, 03:33 AM   #42
Pentaxian

He acknowledges the existence of the Pentax FA* 24/2 ("yeah") -- which is a gem of a lens, BTW -- but then gets stuck on the fact that Pentax is currently not selling it a 24mm new? Does not make sense at all; a very embarrassing post, AFAIC.
11-23-2012, 01:03 PM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
He acknowledges the existence of the Pentax FA* 24/2 ("yeah") -- which is a gem of a lens, BTW -- but then gets stuck on the fact that Pentax is currently not selling it a 24mm new? Does not make sense at all; a very embarrassing post, AFAIC.
I think by "new" he means an up-to-date, optimized for the format lens. The FA* 24 was intended for FF film and is a big prime, especially by Pentax standards, the Limiteds likely his biggest reason for choosing the Pentax in the first place (was for me).

Lugging around an outdated hunk of glass that your camera can only use a part of is far from optimal, and completely unnecessary in 2012 with all the excellent new options out there.
11-23-2012, 01:42 PM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
I wonder why someone who poses as a person knowing their stuff has not even tried the excellent 24/1.4.
Longer-term readers of Mike's column will recall that he has stated a few times that manual focus lenses simply don't work for him--especially when used with cropped-sensor viewfinders--due to his less-than-wonderful eyesight. I'm about Mike's age and would agree for the most part. Mike knows far more about photography (which is not gear BTW) than every poster in this forum.

M
11-23-2012, 02:09 PM   #45
Pentaxian

[deleted]

Last edited by beholder3; 08-12-2013 at 01:37 AM.