Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-26-2012, 10:45 PM   #76
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
This is way OT. I think you guys should start another thread to continue your discussion, and mod should close this one

11-27-2012, 08:02 AM   #77
Veteran Member

my case is certainly closed.
05-22-2020, 05:59 PM - 2 Likes   #78
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
And nearly 8 years later, this thread is name checked on TOP by Mike Johnston himself (under "Pentax, an old friend"):
The Online Photographer: The Viewfinder of the New Pentax

Glad I made your morning, Mike! (Also, Zombie-thread... "brains! Brains!! Braaaaiiinns!")
05-22-2020, 06:36 PM   #79
Pentaxian

Look at that, the OP turned up. That's just wild.

Hey, how are the wife and kids?

---------- Post added 05-22-20 at 09:40 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by illdefined Quote
my case is certainly closed.

Your case is nonsense.
Full frame or APS-c, you be the judge. - PentaxForums.com

I've proved my point many times over. Both to myself and others.

Starting with Pentax can't make a K-1.
QuoteQuote:
Pentax can't charge the premium required for the 36mp FF sensor, especially considering it only has a handful (literally) of FF lenses to go with it.
Did you really want to draw attention to that?
Talk about shredded credibility.

Last edited by normhead; 05-22-2020 at 06:48 PM.
05-23-2020, 05:31 AM - 1 Like   #80
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Hey Norm!

Wife and kids are good, and staying healthy and away from others for now. Hope the same for you and yours! Heading to Boundary Waters/Quetico this summer (if things don't change radically), so I'll think of you while looking for moose.

Meanwhile, let's not pick on what was said back in 2012... who knew there'd be a FF Pentax DSLR, or that they'd continue making APS-C cameras and lenses, or that the Limiteds would get zoom models, or that Pentax wasn't doomed, etc., etc. We all have 20/20 hindsight...

(BTW, I think these are my first posts in a very long time, but the K-3 is still my main camera!)
05-23-2020, 05:58 AM   #81
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
Hey Norm!

Wife and kids are good, and staying healthy and away from others for now. Hope the same for you and yours! Heading to Boundary Waters/Quetico this summer (if things don't change radically), so I'll think of you while looking for moose.

Meanwhile, let's not pick on what was said back in 2012... who knew there'd be a FF Pentax DSLR, or that they'd continue making APS-C cameras and lenses, or that the Limiteds would get zoom models, or that Pentax wasn't doomed, etc., etc. We all have 20/20 hindsight...

(BTW, I think these are my first posts in a very long time, but the K-3 is still my main camera!)
Awesome, my first "real trip" ever was 10 days in Queteco, back in 79.
I'm not guiding anymore, my rotator cuffs are torn in both shoulders, but I'm still doing exhausting personal trips. Tess is still taking people out, but Covid19 has pretty much killed the business for this year at least. Tess is still shooting with the K-5 she appropriated, now in it's 9th year, and still an amazing camera.

I'm still shooting with my K-3 although I have added a K-1 for landscape and high DR images.

QuoteQuote:
Meanwhile, let's not pick on what was said back in 2012
I didn't raise the topic. You're talking to the wrong guy.

Last edited by normhead; 05-23-2020 at 06:20 AM.
06-15-2020, 02:28 PM   #82
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
We knew he bought one, and that he loves the Pentax primes, but after he announced he bought a K-5, the online camera-experience posts after that were about the Sony A900. Now that he's gone over to a Nikon D800, he posts about the K-5:

The Online Photographer: This is the Pentax K-5 Post

Really, it's a great recommendation for the K-5 and K-5II's, with just a little "not enough lens choice" throwing a wrench in the works.
He could have gotten the Pentax 20-40mm f2.8-4 which would have solved all his problems, but Nah he has to mention the old bugaboo "not enough lenses" when he obviously only needs 2.

07-07-2020, 08:47 AM - 1 Like   #83
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hjoseph7 Quote
He could have gotten the Pentax 20-40mm f2.8-4 which would have solved all his problems, but Nah he has to mention the old bugaboo "not enough lenses" when he obviously only needs 2.
I've been doing a lot of thinking about this lately. It "feels" like Pentax doesn't have enough lenses, but in reality there's more than enough, and maybe more than even most of the competition. But why the disconnect?

I'm starting to believe that it's the lack of coherency in the lenses we do have. Take Fuji for example. Most of the lenses all look the same. They all function the same in their particular groupings. There are maybe 3 main lens types. The ones with aperture rings, the ones without. The pro zooms, the non pro zooms. But there is a lot of consistency. Canon might even be a better example. All EOS EF lenses look almost the same. They all function the same. The pro ones have red rings. The numbers conform to the historic standards. 20/24/28/35/50/85/105/180/200/300 16-35/24-70/70-200

Keep that in mind and then think about the Pentax offerings. I have a bag full of lenses here. The only ones that are the same are the DA LTD primes (and those can be had with green or red rings!). The DA ZOOM is different. The FA LTD Prime is different. Some of the lenses are PLM, some DC, some SDM, some WR, some not. Some have aperture rings and focus clutches. And focal lengths? LOL 15/21/31/35/40/43/55/70/77/200 11-18/16-50/50-135 15-30/24-70/70-200

They all work, a lot of them are optically best in the business (which is a big deal actually) but as a set of lenses, there is very little cohesion or even rhyme or reason.

The focal lengths are interesting in comparing FUJI to Pentax APS-c as well.

It's a classic perception vs reality thing.
07-07-2020, 09:08 AM - 1 Like   #84
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Qwntm Quote
They all work, a lot of them are optically best in the business (which is a big deal actually) but as a set of lenses, there is very little cohesion or even rhyme or reason.
Yep, I think part of this is due to the longevity of the K-mount and having multiple series of lenses over the decades. Add on to that the use of the mount for both APS-C and FF. For an outsider to the brand I can see how it looks a little incoherent.

QuoteOriginally posted by Qwntm Quote
The focal lengths are interesting in comparing FUJI to Pentax APS-c as well
Pentax is quirky and sometimes eccentric. I like quirky and eccentric. I like things that are not mainstream.
There is always going to be a group of people who seek out and embrace these things.
07-07-2020, 09:38 AM - 1 Like   #85
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Pentax primes for apsc are slow and for ff way to few. I don't need fast glass but lots of people do.

As I've said before the limited line puts Pentax in a strange position. If they pushed out new lenses at manic speed it wouldn't be an issue but without a fleshed out large aperture line as well as a larger selection of budget primes the limiteds confuse people and limit the scope of lenses. I quite like the limiteds by the way.
07-26-2020, 08:33 PM   #86
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hjoseph7 Quote
Then again, the Pentax 20-40mm probably did not exist when he posted that article ?