Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-21-2012, 06:57 PM   #1

Question on Battery Level Indicator

Hi

have been Pentax user for many many years though in the old film days i did favour by far my Olypus OM1 over any other camera

i recently bought a DA* 60-250mm

what i noticed is that when i attached it to my K5 the battery level showed a low battery but if i took the lens off and reattached the DA 18-55mm the battery level returned to full

the battery is likely to be somewhat depleted as i have not charged it for a week or two - so i will try it with a fully charged battery tonight but wondered if anyone had experienced anything similar

cheers

m

11-22-2012, 12:49 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, if you post your question in the Pentax Beginners Corner I'm sure you'll get an answer there.
11-22-2012, 02:36 AM   #3

Original Poster
Gee thanks eaglem

i remember once back in the 80's i went to a computer users club and asked a question

everyone laughed at me and said i would get the answer if i went to the beginners section

funny thing was that a couple of years later the head of the club, the one who told me that, was one of my students in a junior computer science class

i knew more than he did when he made such a comment and i doubt he ever has learned as much as i

i get the same feeling when i see your post

i have been using Pentax cameras probably longer than you have been alive and i have been using Pentax digitals since the first istD was available - as well i was taught photography by my mother who was a professional and i studied optics and photography for 4 years at uni

i very much doubt i am a beginner in anybody's book

but maybe you were clutching at straws as you had no answer to my question?

m

ps, answer - the K5 seems (as has been discussed in other threads) to show a full charge until it is close to depleted - when i attached a battery pack with a full charge the level indicator returned to full with the 60-250 attached - i repeated the experiment with a hefty Sigma lens and got the same result

interestingly i had not seen such behaviour with either of my older Pentax digital cameras

any of you experts have the same experience?

m
11-22-2012, 05:47 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I believe you have vastly misinterpreted eaglem's reply. Many folks here only look at parts of the forum that interest them, and the welcome section gets overlooked a lot. For that reason, your question stands a far better chance of getting answered if posted in a more appropriate section, such as the K-5 area. For that reason, I am moving the thread there.

11-22-2012, 07:08 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Now I know why some people would be inclined to use the ignore feature of this forum. What an unpleasant answer to a warm welcome, when you are actually looking for advice...
11-22-2012, 07:43 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Hi murrayp. Welcome to the forum.

I've also observed what you observe and I've experimented a bit with more lenses. I conclude that when you mount an SDM
lens the battery indicator may droop a bit. Mounting a screwdrive or manualfocus
lens makes the battery indicator rise back up again. This happens with partially charged batteries.

I don't know the reason for this behaviour. I just wanted to tell you that you don't have a one-off camera
on your hands.

Regards,
--Anders.
11-22-2012, 08:10 AM   #7
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I haven't seen the same effect you mention - or not knowingly, but I do see my battery indicator jump from low to high to med and back again without any clear pattern, although using the flash will temporarily push it to the low end. I've learned not to rely on it too much.

11-22-2012, 08:25 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I would think it takes more battery power to run a Sdm lens. I am sure the camera is reflecting this.
11-22-2012, 09:59 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by murrayp Quote
Gee thanks eaglem

i remember once back in the 80's i went to a computer users club and asked a question

everyone laughed at me and said i would get the answer if i went to the beginners section

funny thing was that a couple of years later the head of the club, the one who told me that, was one of my students in a junior computer science class

i knew more than he did when he made such a comment and i doubt he ever has learned as much as if

i get the same feeling when i see your post

i have been using Pentax cameras probably longer than you have been alive and i have been using Pentax digitals since the first istD was available - as well i was taught photography by my mother who was a professional and i studied optics and photography for 4 years at uni

i very much doubt i am a beginner in anybody's book

but maybe you were clutching at straws as you had no answer to my question?

m

ps, answer - the K5 seems (as has been discussed in other threads) to show a full charge until it is close to depleted - when i attached a battery pack with a full charge the level indicator returned to full with the 60-250 attached - i repeated the experiment with a hefty Sigma lens and got the same result

interestingly i had not seen such behaviour with either of my older Pentax digital cameras

any of you experts have the same experience?

m
Great way to start your membership here.
11-22-2012, 11:20 AM   #10

Welcome murrayp
When the battery is not 100% full, you can see the battery level drop one bar almost instantly after you start using the camera in a way that burns more power, (live view, flash, long exposure high iso)...
sdm lenses probably use more power, and the camera changes the battery level indicator accordingly.
11-23-2012, 01:24 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
I believe you have vastly misinterpreted eaglem's reply. Many folks here only look at parts of the forum that interest them, and the welcome section gets overlooked a lot. For that reason, your question stands a far better chance of getting answered if posted in a more appropriate section, such as the K-5 area. For that reason, I am moving the thread there.
Thanks Tom and he obviously did misinterpret my reply which was the Introduction Forum is for Introductions and nobody would read his question there, if you want to know about baking bread you certainly don't go to a Butcher store for the information although in some cases............................ in your case murrayp only your arrogance exceeds your so called intellect. I can really see you going a long way here!

Last edited by eaglem; 11-23-2012 at 02:49 AM.