Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-20-2012, 04:17 AM   #61
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gooseta Quote
lol, yes while k5iis owners like you and I state many times that moire is extremely rare, people who don't own one say there is a huge moire issue
I'll guess we'll have to go on enjoying the camera and hope nobody else finds out how good it is?

12-20-2012, 04:28 AM   #62
Pentaxian

I've been shooting man-made patterns lately with my K-5 IIs and I've only seen moire once... and it's unnoticeable until I zoom in 100%

Either I don't know how to provoke moire properly, or it's really not that big of an issue. I'm eating my words here, and am not regretting getting the IIs instead of the II

I'll see how bad moire I can get but I presume I'll be wasting a lot of clicks...
12-20-2012, 04:31 AM   #63

wow has this thread gone off topic!

To the OP, my personal opinion is whilst the K5/II is an excellent camera, so is the K30. I do not believe the K5II is ~$500 better than the K30, which is why i bought a K30.
Id recommend buying the K30 and spending the money you save on some high quality glass because thats where you will see the difference.
12-20-2012, 05:16 AM   #64
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by curlednoodles Quote
wow has this thread gone off topic! To the OP, my personal opinion is whilst the K5/II is an excellent camera, so is the K30. I do not believe the K5II is ~$500 better than the K30, which is why i bought a K30. Id recommend buying the K30 and spending the money you save on some high quality glass because thats where you will see the difference.
I took this approach when I bought my K200D. Instead of buying a K20, I bought the K200D and a DA16-45 f4. The DA lens made a huge difference over the Sigma kit lens which the camera came with. However, I found that the controls of the K200D were very limiting - having the front and rear dials on the K7 or K5iis makes a lot of difference if you don't leave the camera in "everything auto". Changing the meter mode on the K200D requires going through the menu while on the other cameras there is a switch. I don't know the K30 well enough to make a judgement about it - all I'm saying is that it's worth looking at the controls and considering whether they will work for you. It's a pain to go back and buy another camera because the first one was not quite what you needed.

PS The K200D is a great camera and in many respects takes cleaner images than the K7. I simply found the controls limiting. I realise that the K30 is much better in many respects (resolution, CPU etc), but YMMV.

12-20-2012, 06:30 AM   #65

QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
However, I found that the controls of the K200D were very limiting - having the front and rear dials on the K7 or K5iis makes a lot of difference if you don't leave the camera in "everything auto". Changing the meter mode on the K200D requires going through the menu while on the other cameras there is a switch. I don't know the K30 well enough to make a judgement about it - all I'm saying is that it's worth looking at the controls and considering whether they will work for you. It's a pain to go back and buy another camera because the first one was not quite what you needed.
Yea, i understand what youre saying and I deliberated for a long time on my choice. Im happy with my purchase.

The K30 has both front and rear dials. I think the only control thats lacking on the K30 from the K5 that im envious of is the dedicated switch for selecting the AF point.

It is tedious having to enter the control panel to change the AF point but its not $500 worth of annoyance, imo. I usually shoot on Auto 5 Points and when I do need to change to AF Select, I can choose the point of focus with the front and rear dials anyway (as well as the 4 way controller).

Another work around is by customising the 2 User dials. I have U1 set to AF Spot and U2 set to AE bracketing with AF 11 points (these can be customised however you like - it saves the settings youre currently using including aperture, shutter speed, iso). Its very quick to switch between the modes on the dial as its not locked.

What would have been nice is if Pentax made selecting the AF point option the very first choice when entering the Control Panel (its currently Custom Image). That said, the camera does remember the last action accessed so if i enter the CP again, its already sitting of AF select which is handy.

I would also trade the AF select switch for focus peaking. I have a couple of older prime lenses and focus peaking works wonderfully with them, and was a big factor in my decision. So i think with the K30, what in lacks in some regards it makes up for in others.

I dont miss a HDMI port either. My TV has a SD card slot so if i want to watch a video that i took with the K30 I just slide the card in and watch it. Probably quicker than connecting a cable anyway.

Im not trying to start a K30 Vs K5 etc, just stating the reasons for my decision. What matters in a camera for some will be different for others.
12-20-2012, 06:35 AM   #66
krs
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Certainly all an "interesting" discussion!

All I know is I took the plunge and bought the K5iis, and took pictures at two church low-light events using the 31mm, 77mm, and a Tamron 70-200mm, at ISO 800-6400, and was VERY pleased with the results, considering IQ, noise, etc. I saw no moire, and all people did wear clothes...
12-20-2012, 09:09 AM   #67
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
OP is back

I ultimately did order the K-5 IIs and am pleased with it. I have not had much time to shoot but expect opportunities this weekend and early next week.

Would a subject such as this (cropped) cross-hatch pattern basket be a concern for moire? I do not find any on my monitor no matter how high the zoom.

Name:  Cross-hatch pattern (1024x513).jpg
Views: 863
Size:  377.8 KB
12-20-2012, 12:49 PM   #68
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kpevav Quote
I ultimately did order the K-5 IIs and am pleased with it. I have not had much time to shoot but expect opportunities this weekend and early next week.Would a subject such as this (cropped) cross-hatch pattern basket be a concern for moire? I do not find any on my monitor no matter how high the zoom.
Congrats! The pattern might produce moire but only under exactly the right (or wrong, depending on how you look at it) conditions of distance, lens and f-stop. You'll see moire more easily on fine patterns like fine parallel stripes in clothing. Personally I've stopped worrying about it, and I'm enjoying taking photos instead.

12-20-2012, 01:48 PM   #69
Pentaxian

Would a subject such as this (cropped) cross-hatch pattern basket be a concern for moire? I do not find any on my monitor no matter how high the zoom.
Congratulations on your new K-5.
The answer to your question is most likely no.
Moire most commonly occurs in much finer patters such as with clothing, brick or building siding, etc etc. And the trick for this to happen is that it must be at the exact precise distance so as to happen. Which I know may sounds a little hard to believe when all is said and done but... it does happen that way.

At any rate, I wouldn't obsess over it at this point in time. Though if you're fixing on shooting portraits or birds, then you might want to weight-in the risks vs rewards of moire.
12-20-2012, 07:50 PM   #70
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
At any rate, I wouldn't obsess over it at this point in time. Though if you're fixing on shooting portraits or birds, then you might want to weight-in the risks vs rewards of moire.
John, IMO the risks with feathers are still low.

12-20-2012, 07:54 PM   #71
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
John, IMO the risks with feathers are still low.
Ouch!
12-20-2012, 10:38 PM   #72
Pentaxian

I ultimately did order the K-5 IIs and am pleased with it. I have not had much time to shoot but expect opportunities this weekend and early next week. Would a subject such as this (cropped) cross-hatch pattern basket be a concern for moire? I do not find any on my monitor no matter how high the zoom.
RobG has a point. Provoking moire has been hard for me too. Here's a sample from mine:
(it's a bit underexposed, though), taken with K-5 IIs + DA 35, 1/60s, f2.8, ISO800

here's the whole image resized too 800px on the long side

and a 100% center crop:

not sure if that's color moire or prolly just my eyes playing with me.
12-20-2012, 11:03 PM   #73
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
not sure if that's color moire or prolly just my eyes playing with me.
Or uneven dye in the fabric? If that was the whole image, you probably need to shoot from further away to make the size of the patterns on the material similar to the size of the elements on the sensor. It may also help to put the pattern on an angle?

I don't see much point in pixel peeping - if the image as a whole is ok, that's all I need. Having said that, what pixel peeping has shown me is that although the number of megapixels in the K-5iis images may not be massively bigger than the results from the K200D or K-7, the signal to noise ratio is vastly improved, so there is far more useful information. I'd compare it to the sort of results I used to get with Fujichrome 100F scanned at 2700ppi - no noticeable noise at all in a well exposed image. Obviously with the K-5, the mileage varies with the ISO setting, but that's to be expected.

PS When I tried to get moire on the shirt I photographed, I used a wider aperture and moved in and out in live view until I got maximum moire on the LCD. The resulting image was still fine. I have seen "moire" in the LCD, but if you zoom in on the image it goes away. The preview images on the K200D and K7 didn't exhibit this behaviour.

Last edited by RobG; 12-20-2012 at 11:11 PM. Reason: more info
12-22-2012, 05:40 AM   #74

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Just starting to import the 1100+ shots I took today at the Gorgeous Festival in McLaren Vale.
I can't believe the resolution of this thing.
Yes, there are some cases of moire with some fabrics (tulle mainly), but some of the 100% crops are quite remarkable.
Contractual obligations may limit what I can reveal, but I'll get something up tomorrow.
All I can say at this stage is *holy moly* this is an incredible camera.
Thank you Sandy Hancock. Just what we need; some actual hard working pro putting up real shots and pushing the limits. Looks like I am going to like my new K5-IIs just fine on Tuesday morning!

Dick
12-24-2012, 04:07 PM   #75

K5iis is a wonderful camera, I have already hit 20k activations since I bought it. High ISo is so good, Moire is just not there!