Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-29-2012, 06:12 PM - 1 Like   #76

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Re the K-5IIs and moire: I've now shot 1,300+ frames with mine, including two paid assignments involving people actually wearing clothes, and have yet to see a trace of it.

Non-issue, as far as I'm concerned. If I need to shoot recurring patterns, I still have the old K-5.

Meanwhile, I am loving the dead sharp 20x30 landscapes the new camera is producing.

12-29-2012, 07:31 PM   #77
Veteran Member

I just flipped through 3 pages of this thread, but let me see if I have this right....
The OP asked if the IIs had an issue with tripping over some strange fabrics.
We then have 3 pages of arguing over something that can be fixed in LR anyway?

To the OP, if you wish to spend the money on the IIs and on the outside chance it does give this weird effect you don't mind fixing it up in PP; then I reckon go nuts.
But, if as you say, you are simply a hobbiest (like 9/10ths of the peeps here) *may* I please be so bold as to suggest you find a K5 classic on run out and put the rest of your dollars into lenses. As far as I'm concerned, the K5 classic is an absolute bargain at the moment; and if like me you can be proud of simply a 'damn good photo' then this combo is going to set you up for a long, long time.

Cheers,
Lurch.
01-04-2013, 02:34 PM - 1 Like   #78

Please can we end the argument. I have now shot 12,000 frames (no joke.). Moire is an absolute non-issue and I have never seen it. Ever. And I pixel peep.
01-04-2013, 02:44 PM   #79
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gooseta Quote
Please can we end the argument. I have now shot 12,000 frames (no joke.). Moire is an absolute non-issue and I have never seen it. Ever. And I pixel peep.
What's clear is that for a wide range of situations there is no issue, and this is good to know. But anecdotal evidence isn't going to end the debate -- side by side tests of the K-5 II and IIs under controlled conditions are what's needed. In short, are there practical situations where the IIs creates problematic moire but the II doesn't?

01-04-2013, 06:09 PM - 1 Like   #80

QuoteOriginally posted by gooseta Quote
Having just opened my K5IIs last Tuesday (Good old St Nick managed to charge the battery and put an 8-gig card in it. Imagine that!), I can tell you that I love it already. Having moved up from a K10d, I realize that a large part of my delight so far is the K5 base. However, the autofocus is so crisp in low light and the IQ so far looks wonderful, which coming from a K10d says something. Santa also brought along a 15mm DA Limited but I am particularly pleased with the snappy focus signalling using MF with my old Pentax-A f-4, 35 to 70mm.
Is it dangerous? That's what the thread asked. The dreaded Moire seems to be more theoretical than real. The unanswered question is whether this is another great camera that will cause too many of us to have too much fun taking lots of (to our minds anyway) great photos with an easy to use semi-pro camera. If the "s" gives us a further step of resolution, great: Can anyone at least qualitatively yet say how much? For me, it is about the pleasure of seeing and sometimes capturing the visual experience with a tool that helps and is also a joy to use. Not being a pro, it will be a while before I pass 12,000 shots on my K5IIs but I did on my K10d and will still do some more on that lovely, aging beauty. Sorry for going on but thought I would share my delight.

Regards from the snowy North. Dick
01-05-2013, 02:30 AM   #81
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I have had some issues with bird feathers; here is an example on a great tit shot with FA*600 at F7.1, there are false colors on the wings. But so far very pleased with the K5IIs for birding

Here is a 100% crop; look at the blue/magenta spots on the wings.

Occasionnaly I have spotted some little occurence of moiré like this one, again on the feathers

Here is the 100% crop that highlight it, you must know it is here

But honestly not enough moiré to ruin a shot. Funny thing now that I'm pixel peeping for moiré I see moiré on ancient shots made with the K5 I never had seen before - cause I was not concentrated on looking at it.

Last edited by goubejp; 01-05-2013 at 02:37 AM.
01-05-2013, 06:57 AM   #82
Pentaxian

My guess is, if you still can't spot the moire-affected area after three 30-second looks, it's all OK
01-05-2013, 10:04 AM   #83
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
My guess is, if you still can't spot the moire-affected area after three 30-second looks, it's all OK
Agreed; if you know that the shots above are made without AA filter and you look carefully on 100 % crops to find moiré, you may find it. If you are not aware from that, you simply look at the image as a whole and you don't see moiré. You only see fine details that are amazing

01-08-2013, 01:34 PM   #84

Photos: Gallery
No moire thus far and very happy with the K5 IIs

I've only had my K5 IIs since Saturday and have not been able to do a lot of shooting but I have shot materials which one would expect to produce moire using a camera with no AA filter.. have not yet seen any.
The one thing I can tell you is that the photos the K5 IIs produces are visibly better than those produced my original K5.

And one more thing.. I had to make micro adjustments on the original K5 for almost every lens I own (31, 43, 77, both DA* zooms wide and telephoto) the only lens that did not require an adjustment was the DA 35mm macro. On the K5 IIs not a single lens has required any adjustment, making me a very happy camper.

These are literally the first shots I took with the K5 IIs after I bought it (besides in-store test shots). These are all JPG as I had forgotten to set the RAW to DNG and don't use the PEF files. I really couldn't be happier with the K5 IIs and I am now waiting for a buyer for my original K5. If anyone cares to see what I have done with the original K5 you can visit Pentax K5 Photography by Jim Radcliffe

01-08-2013, 01:59 PM   #85

QuoteOriginally posted by Jim Radcliffe Quote
I've only had my K5 IIs since Saturday and have not been able to do a lot of shooting but I have shot materials which one would expect to produce moire using a camera with no AA filter.. have not yet seen any.
The one thing I can tell you is that the photos the K5 IIs produces are visibly better than those produced my original K5.
sharp photos! What lens did you use?
01-08-2013, 02:13 PM   #86

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by curlednoodles Quote
sharp photos! What lens did you use?
I was using the DA* 50-135mm
01-09-2013, 02:55 AM   #87
Pentaxian

I was using the DA* 50-135mm
Aw man. You're making me thirst for that lens more >_< local store's taking forever to stock.. my cash is waiting
01-09-2013, 07:57 AM   #88
Pentaxian

On the K5 IIs not a single lens has required any adjustment
I know, all my pentax lenses even the FA*85mm f/1.4 and the FA*300mm f/2.8 ED I don't use all that often now focus perfectly, what gives? - the only lenses I have needed to calibrate are my sigma 100-300mm f/4 APO EX DG and the Sigma 180mm f/3.5 APO EX Macro

I have to say this, you people are doing it wrong! with a 16Mp sensor you have to use subject matter with extremely high frequency repeat-pattern detail, and a reasonably sharp and contrasty lens to see any moire.This is the worst I could get from the K5IIs under real-world shooting conditions, having worked extensively with cameras that do not have Bayer AA filters, not to mention owning quite a few of them myself - I have developed a bit of an instinct for being able to see when moire is likely to occur, and to be honest with the K5IIs it isn't a big a deal as people are making it out to be. Moire is pretty simple to deal with these days.

this is a 100% crop from the Sigma 100-300mm f/4 APO EX DG @ f/5.6 1/500 ISO 320

Last edited by Digitalis; 01-09-2013 at 08:10 AM.
01-09-2013, 08:42 AM   #89

That raven has some weird moire problems! On my screen I see al kinds of colours!

[ just kidding - looks great ]
01-11-2013, 02:38 AM   #90
Pentaxian

this time around I deliberately sought to create moire, the DA15mm f/4 ED ASPH limited didn't disappoint. I think it is a good practical exercise for photographers with the K5IIs to go out and create moire - so they can learn what is likely to cause it and to practice the methods used to remove it both in camera- and in post-processing..