Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-27-2012, 11:29 AM   #61
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2012
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,728
QuoteOriginally posted by gooseta Quote
Since when did this become buyolympus.com? Is no-one going to vouch for the amount of resolution you miss with the omd compared to the similarly priced K5ii/s?
... and when did this become trasholympus.com? As for similarly priced, the E-M5 body is $200 less than a K-5II body and $300 less than a K-5IIs body (per B&H).

I'm not saying the Oly is a better camera than Pentax. Heck, I bought a Pentax. That doesn't make an Oly a bad camera, either. It's a good camera.

11-27-2012, 11:33 AM   #62
Pentaxian
JinDesu's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: New York City
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,626
QuoteOriginally posted by gooseta Quote
Since when did this become buyolympus.com? Is no-one going to vouch for the amount of resolution you miss with the omd compared to the similarly priced K5ii/s?
It's not about propping up the Olympus cameras. It's about giving them fair dues. Yes - the sensor isn't as capable as the k-5IIs, but it has faster frame rate, weather sealing WITH the tilt screen, and some very nice lenses.

To me, the selling point of the EM5 would be the size and the looks. It's good, perhaps not AS good as the k-5, but still good. And the size and looks can really tip it.

But if I were after full image quality, WR, and sub 1500, then of course it's the k-5II.
11-27-2012, 11:52 AM   #63
Pentaxian
audiobomber's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: Sudbury, Ontario
Photos: Albums
Posts: 6,686
I need a DSLR for sports and wildlife shooting. A MILC just will not suffice, and the tele lens selection is pathetic. A couple of slow consumer zooms, that's it.

Last edited by audiobomber; 11-27-2012 at 02:47 PM.
11-27-2012, 12:33 PM   #64
Junior Member




Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 47
QuoteOriginally posted by gooseta Quote
Since when did this become buyolympus.com? Is no-one going to vouch for the amount of resolution you miss with the omd compared to the similarly priced K5ii/s?
No need to take this personally. Nobody here has been telling people to buy Olympus, but we have been pointing out the strengths and weaknesses of both Pentax and the EM-5. If you look at the title of this thread, all of the posts contained within it are related. I've even posted how the E-M5 did not work for me, but I am not a fanboy of any brand & will certainly have no problem discussing the pros and cons of any brand for which I have direct knowledge.

A couple of questions for you: have you used an E-M5 or played around with any raw files from one? And I don't understand what you mean about "the amount of resolution you miss with the omd." They are both 16mp cameras. If you meant horizontal & vertical "line" resolution, have a look on IR and their resolution findings for both cameras.

11-27-2012, 01:40 PM   #65
Pentaxian
audiobomber's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: Sudbury, Ontario
Photos: Albums
Posts: 6,686
You should see the comments on this question in the DPR M4/3 board. The K-5 is being mercilessly slandered. It seems K-5's can't focus on anything, the camera is humungous, Pentax lenses are overpriced crap, etc.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/41581511

Last edited by audiobomber; 11-27-2012 at 01:46 PM.
11-27-2012, 02:44 PM   #66
Junior Member




Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 47
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
You should see the comments on this question in the DPR M4/3 board. The K-5 is being mercilessly slandered. It seems K-5's can't focus on anything, the camera is humungous, Pentax lenses are overpriced crap, etc.

OMD-EM-5 vs Pentax K-5, I'm at the crossroads...: Micro Four Thirds Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
Even though I've been a member there the last 8 years, I have rarely posted anything. Too many factions & a huge lack of common sense. Some of the guys in that particular forum will bash anything larger than the smallest micro 4/3rds cameras. I've even seen numerous posts there flaming one of their own, the new GH3, because it is "too big."
11-27-2012, 03:26 PM   #67
Senior Member
metalmania's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 253
QuoteOriginally posted by NVSteve Quote
Even though I've been a member there the last 8 years, I have rarely posted anything. Too many factions & a huge lack of common sense. Some of the guys in that particular forum will bash anything larger than the smallest micro 4/3rds cameras. I've even seen numerous posts there flaming one of their own, the new GH3, because it is "too big."
GH3 is too big. I am not from there.
11-27-2012, 03:54 PM   #68
Senior Member
gooseta's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: London
Posts: 157
Maybe the OP would like to post their response?

11-27-2012, 04:11 PM   #69
Veteran Member
NickLarsson's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Paris, France
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,390
QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
Good luck shooting RAW with the K-01.
What do you mean ?
11-27-2012, 04:23 PM   #70
Pentaxian
carrrlangas's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Joensuu (Finland)
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,752
QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
Just to get real for a moment, how about some photos in a photography thread? All were taken with either the Pentax K20D or an Olympus PEN digital camera.

This one was used as a record sleeve. Which camera took it?



This one was placed in a major juried print show. Which camera took it?



This photo was chosen for a festival catalogue. Which camera took it?



The point being? Define your needs. Choose your system. Have fun. And (mostly) stay off photo forums.
You sir, are a genius. Thanks for this
11-27-2012, 07:05 PM - 1 Like   #71
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: North
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,921
QuoteOriginally posted by gooseta Quote
Since when did this become buyolympus.com? Is no-one going to vouch for the amount of resolution you miss with the omd compared to the similarly priced K5ii/s?
Don't you realize it?
This site has degraded into 'Camera Enthusiast' rather than 'Pentax Forums'.
Lots of those who have jumped ship for various reasons (which is valid and fine) still linger on here touting their new wares (which is not fine).
Maybe they can't fit into 'CanNikOly Forums'?? Or the moderation here is lax/don't care??



To TS,

I've had the GF1 and have a G3 (14; 20, 45).
They are nice cameras.
Smallish camera, small lenses (light, but mostly plastic), still needed some sort of camera bag though to take out a 3 lens kit.
For me, at the end of the day, a camera like a K30 and even K5 is smallish enough for me (still fits into the same small camera bag for a 3 lens kit);
Weight difference is not that big a deal. Think of carrying 1 small water bottle (~330ml = 330gm); that sort of difference is not big deal for me in real life, especially when I cross sling my bag or camera.
The K5/K30 files can be pushed in PP much better than the G3 file (OMD is just a bit better in this respect).
But download samples on the internet and play around with the file (eg. levels, saturation, curves, shadow/highlights, filters, sharpen) and judge for yourself if the file quality is good enough for you.
I'd choose the K5/K30, but that's my type of photography (generallist - landscapes; peoplel; travel; streets; macro).
Most of the native m4/3 lenses are sharp from wide open, but then they are also mostly center sharp instead of sharp across if that is of any concern.
11-27-2012, 08:32 PM   #72
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Sydney
Posts: 671
QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
Don't you realize it?
This site has degraded into 'Camera Enthusiast' rather than 'Pentax Forums'.
Lots of those who have jumped ship for various reasons (which is valid and fine) still linger on here touting their new wares (which is not fine).
Maybe they can't fit into 'CanNikOly Forums'?? Or the moderation here is lax/don't care??
Why isn't it ok? There are subsections for other camera makes?

What people are here for is the atmosphere and photography, secondary I would say is brand advocacy and people are very civil on this forum most of the time.

I'm not brand loyal, I used to own Nikon in Film era. Then I had a canon digital P&S, moved to Nikon DSLR again. Then went to Olympus m4/3. Now I'm with Pentax for my dSLR and Ricoh GRDIV for my P&S (got it before the whole buy out). Also Just yesterday I bought a Pentax Q (I was going to get Olympus XZ-1, but found Q for $50 less) for my gf as a xmas gift. As she's going to Nepal and needs nice but small camera.

I think most sane people will not be brand loyal but choose what's best for them on it's merits. It's up to the companies to do their own advertising, they are not paying me to do it.
11-27-2012, 08:51 PM   #73
Senior Member




Join Date: Jun 2012
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 218
To me it's clear that the Pentax K5 has the best quality from both but I'm attracted to the OM-D because of the tilt screen, and has the lenses I want at a price that's not too expensive. The lenses I want on Pentax are expensive. I'm stuck, and don't know what camera to buy after I sell my Canon camera.
11-27-2012, 10:55 PM   #74
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Sydney
Posts: 671
QuoteOriginally posted by memo90061 Quote
To me it's clear that the Pentax K5 has the best quality from both but I'm attracted to the OM-D because of the tilt screen, and has the lenses I want at a price that's not too expensive. The lenses I want on Pentax are expensive. I'm stuck, and don't know what camera to buy after I sell my Canon camera.
If you are not sure which camera you want, I would first check photos on the FA and DA limited lens threads and take a look at the photos. I think it will be a lot easier to decide then. In my opinion you buy into a lens system, not into body. After all, after you upgrade the body 3 or 4 times, you are still going to be using the same lenses.
11-27-2012, 10:57 PM   #75
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: North
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,921
QuoteOriginally posted by Nuff Quote
Why isn't it ok? There are subsections for other camera makes?

What people are here for is the atmosphere and photography, secondary I would say is brand advocacy and people are very civil on this forum most of the time.

I'm not brand loyal, I used to own Nikon in Film era. Then I had a canon digital P&S, moved to Nikon DSLR again. Then went to Olympus m4/3. Now I'm with Pentax for my dSLR and Ricoh GRDIV for my P&S (got it before the whole buy out). Also Just yesterday I bought a Pentax Q (I was going to get Olympus XZ-1, but found Q for $50 less) for my gf as a xmas gift. As she's going to Nepal and needs nice but small camera.

I think most sane people will not be brand loyal but choose what's best for them on it's merits. It's up to the companies to do their own advertising, they are not paying me to do it.

I own several systems, I'm not brand loyal too.
But that does not make me a Pentax hater who lingers here to dissuade people from buying Pentax.

To me there is a diffrence between valid points being discussed and insidious brand hatred that some of these people have somehow formented due to their frustrations in using Pentax (be it lack of FF; low light AF; lack of good TTL flash; etc)
Sort of a "Crossed the bridge, now try to burn it down" mentality.


I WOULD give my opinion regarding my user experience regarding each format/system.
I WILL NOT try to paint a all hopeless/all gloom picture to anyone trying to look at Pentax vs another camera like some turn-coats are doing here.
Especially so when those are based on some ancient ist*D, K200, K10 or even K20.
Pentax has moved on and improved incrementally with Kx, K5, K30 and even Q and K01 (CDAF speed and decisiveness improved a lot with latest firmware).
For those who have jumped ship totally, their clocks have stopped regarding first hand infomation on Pentax cameras.


IMO, PF has a problem.
It does not know-how-to/want to handle the disgruntled people who have left for other systems.
Especially those who stay on here and try to dissuade people from buying a perfectly viable Pentax system.


See it as you will.
No point for me and you wasting time going back and forth on this.
Thats all I have to say here...
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
af, camera, dslr, ii, k-5, k-5 ii, k-5 iis, k5, k5 ii, lens, pentax, pentax k-5
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lens compatibility confirmation: Will my MZ-30 lenses work on K5 or K5 II? RachaelJamess Visitors' Center 4 11-22-2012 10:23 AM
Anyone Pre-order a K5-II or IIs yet? Eric Auer Pentax K-5 97 11-09-2012 01:44 AM
K-01 vs EM5 VS NEX-7 for Pentax primes djc737 Pentax K-01 16 04-03-2012 07:36 PM
K5 vs 5D Mark II - Wow, the K5 is insane! crossover37 Pentax K-5 88 04-29-2011 10:54 PM
K100D or Oly E510 or Canon Xti...please help guys... shaolin95 Pentax DSLR Discussion 28 01-19-2008 08:06 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:35 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top