Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-25-2012, 08:38 AM   #1

K5 ii or oly em5/omd?

Hey everyone, I'm a newbie here, and am here seeking your wisdom/advice. I was set to pull the trigger on an oly omd, but kept reading about the k5 ii, and how it is the best value in a dslr. Now I'm re-thinking my decision to go with the omd, it appears the only thing I'm gaining with the oly, is a smaller size and possibly better/faster af? Although, from what I can gather on the net, the mark II has greatly improved low light af.

With the kit lens, they are identical in price, which really plays in favor of the pentax. So, I guess it all comes down to lens selection/cost, and other things such as build quality, and pentax after sale support, should I ever need it.

Something I really like about the k5 is the ability to shoot in dng, which makes post processing a bit easier as my old copy of photoshop doesn't recognize many of the new cameras and it's been a nightmare to update it.

I sure would appreciate any advice. Thanks in advance.

Steve

11-25-2012, 08:56 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by desmoface Quote
Hey everyone, I'm a newbie here, and am here seeking your wisdom/advice. I was set to pull the trigger on an oly omd, but kept reading about the k5 ii, and how it is the best value in a dslr. Now I'm re-thinking my decision to go with the omd, it appears the only thing I'm gaining with the oly, is a smaller size and possibly better/faster af? Although, from what I can gather on the net, the mark II has greatly improved low light af.

With the kit lens, they are identical in price, which really plays in favor of the pentax. So, I guess it all comes down to lens selection/cost, and other things such as build quality, and pentax after sale support, should I ever need it.

Something I really like about the k5 is the ability to shoot in dng, which makes post processing a bit easier as my old copy of photoshop doesn't recognize many of the new cameras and it's been a nightmare to update it.

I sure would appreciate any advice. Thanks in advance.

Steve
Why not consider the original K-5 as well? It is still an awesome camera and you'll have $$$ left over for a decent lens or two. The OM-D is also a great camera, I own the K-5 and om-5, and between the two I can't myself see a reason to get a K-5ii.
11-25-2012, 09:01 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I'm thinking of selling some of my lenses, and get an OMD and later a BMC with m4/3 mount.

If you're only interested in photography then Pentax is most likely the way to go except when you mostly do street photography or travel a lot then the olly is also very interesting.
11-25-2012, 09:03 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well, if you go with the Pentax, you'll be able to get our help with anything and evbrything

I got a chance to use the olympus as Photokina and it didn't make a great impression on me. I'm also pretty sure that the K-5's pdaf will still be faster overall.

I'd recommend going with the K-5 classic (Pentax K5 K-5 Digital SLR Camera Body, Black 14748) and spending the extra cash on a nice lens such as a limited pancake or a premium zoom.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-25-2012, 09:43 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Guys, he wants the improved AF, that means K-5II.
FWIW, the OM-D is too small for me and the K-5 falls into hand perfectly.
11-25-2012, 10:00 AM   #6

The OMD is just a hopped up EP-3, I find that is extremely overpriced. Also APS-C is quite a bit bigger than micro 4/3. You should consider a K-5 classic body with a high grade lens
11-25-2012, 10:53 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gooseta Quote
The OMD is just a hopped up EP-3, I find that is extremely overpriced. Also APS-C is quite a bit bigger than micro 4/3. You should consider a K-5 classic body with a high grade lens
No. The E-M5 has a completely different sensor than the E-P3. Same sensor as the E-PL5, though. As far as "high grade lenses" go, it's tough to claim Olympus doesn't have some.

11-25-2012, 12:50 PM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
No. The E-M5 has a completely different sensor than the E-P3. Same sensor as the E-PL5, though. As far as "high grade lenses" go, it's tough to claim Olympus doesn't have some.
Yes, but PEntax has a far bigger selection, also the EPL5 is £600 on amazon while the OMD is over £1000!! My K5iis only cost 949 quid and can best the omd easily. I still suggest the K-30 with some quality glass.
11-25-2012, 12:58 PM   #9

Original Poster
Hey everyone, thanks for the informative replies, this camera would be replacing my ageing eos 10d, which has been an awesome camera. The logical upgrade would be the 60 d - but it's not a very compelling camera when compared to the competition. I only have one canon lens, a tamron 28-75 which is quite nice, actually, but I'm not overly invested in canon, which has me seriously considering alternatives.

As far as the k5 goes, I'm sure it's a great camera, but I'm after the better low light af of the mark II. This is the kit I was considering:

Pentax K-5 II Digital SLR Camera with SMC DA 18-55mm 12027 B&H

Here's the omd kit:

Olympus OM-D E-M5 Micro Four Thirds Digital Camera V204045BU000

This seems like a very good deal for the k5, what do you think? The IIs also seems really intriguing, but I'm not sure if moire will be an issue.

I've read a bit about qc issues with pentax lenses, and them being manufactured in vietnam? Is this something to be concerned about?

This would be a homecoming of sorts as my first slr was a pentax, which I still have - and although it's seen better days, it still works, for the most part.

Thanks again for the advice.

Steve
11-25-2012, 01:06 PM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by desmoface Quote
Hey everyone, thanks for the informative replies, this camera would be replacing my ageing eos 10d, which has been an awesome camera. The logical upgrade would be the 60 d - but it's not a very compelling camera when compared to the competition. I only have one canon lens, a tamron 28-75 which is quite nice, actually, but I'm not overly invested in canon, which has me seriously considering alternatives.

As far as the k5 goes, I'm sure it's a great camera, but I'm after the better low light af of the mark II. This is the kit I was considering:

Pentax K-5 II Digital SLR Camera with SMC DA 18-55mm 12027 B&H

Here's the omd kit:

Olympus OM-D E-M5 Micro Four Thirds Digital Camera V204045BU000

This seems like a very good deal for the k5, what do you think? The IIs also seems really intriguing, but I'm not sure if moire will be an issue.

I've read a bit about qc issues with pentax lenses, and them being manufactured in vietnam? Is this something to be concerned about?

This would be a homecoming of sorts as my first slr was a pentax, which I still have - and although it's seen better days, it still works, for the most part.

Thanks again for the advice.

Steve
Then why are you considering an om5 if lowlight is important to you? An option is the K-01 which is $320 at adorama now, you could get the LEGEND 31mm f1.8 with it and spend $1200, which is the same price as the OM-5 but you're getting way better glass.
11-25-2012, 01:13 PM   #11

Original Poster
Hi gooseta, i was under the impression that the oly had good low light af? To be honest with you, there is no technical reason I don't like the k01, but it honestly looks like a toy compared to the other options.

Steve

QuoteOriginally posted by gooseta Quote
Then why are you considering an om5 if lowlight is important to you? An option is the K-01 which is $320 at adorama now, you could get the LEGEND 31mm f1.8 with it and spend $1200, which is the same price as the OM-5 but you're getting way better glass.
11-25-2012, 01:32 PM   #12

if you dont like the k-01 just get the K5iis then, seeing as its the same price as the K5ii
11-25-2012, 01:35 PM   #13

Original Poster
Hi gooseta, i really like the idea of sharper images with more detail, but I'm a bit concerned about moire. Do you think this will be an issue with the s?

Steve

Last edited by desmoface; 11-25-2012 at 02:28 PM.
11-25-2012, 01:45 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
From what I have seen, there isn't a lot of sharpness to be gained from the IIs versus the II and there could be some moire. For now, I would stick with the K5 II.
11-25-2012, 01:59 PM - 1 Like   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
From what I have seen, there isn't a lot of sharpness to be gained from the IIs versus the II and there could be some moire. For now, I would stick with the K5 II.
The sharpness is actually quite a bit betteer than the K-5, I have seen some comparisons which show way more sharpness on the 5iis, from my shots with my iis it is unbelievably sharp and I have just past 5k shots, 0 moire.