Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-28-2012, 04:47 AM   #76
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
I own several systems, I'm not brand loyal too.
But that does not make me a Pentax hater who lingers here to dissuade people from buying Pentax.

To me there is a diffrence between valid points being discussed and insidious brand hatred that some of these people have somehow formented due to their frustrations in using Pentax (be it lack of FF; low light AF; lack of good TTL flash; etc)
Sort of a "Crossed the bridge, now try to burn it down" mentality.

I WOULD give my opinion regarding my user experience regarding each format/system.
I WILL NOT try to paint a all hopeless/all gloom picture to anyone trying to look at Pentax vs another camera like some turn-coats are doing here.
Especially so when those are based on some ancient ist*D, K200, K10 or even K20.
Pentax has moved on and improved incrementally with Kx, K5, K30 and even Q and K01 (CDAF speed and decisiveness improved a lot with latest firmware).
For those who have jumped ship totally, their clocks have stopped regarding first hand infomation on Pentax cameras.

IMO, PF has a problem.
It does not know-how-to/want to handle the disgruntled people who have left for other systems.
Especially those who stay on here and try to dissuade people from buying a perfectly viable Pentax system.

See it as you will.
No point for me and you wasting time going back and forth on this.
Thats all I have to say here...
I agree with Pinhole. The problem is the hyperbole that some ex-Pentaxians bring. There are folks who haven't used a Pentax SLR since the K10 who make frequent comments about the inability of the cameras to focus, the general lousiness of the lenses, and the overall weakness of the brand.

Sure, they have moved on, but they have to rub everybody else's noses in the fact that they made the right decision and Pentax cameras are all but useless. Never mind that there are awesome photos being taken with the current crop of Pentax cameras and lenses.

In the end, nearly any SLR/Mirrorless camera currently produced is capable of decent results and most of the systems out there have adequate lenses to cover a shooter's basic needs. If you have a need that isn't covered by a brand or, even if you don't like the ergonomics, it is fine to move on. But don't feel like you have to bash the brand once you leave.

11-28-2012, 06:33 AM   #77
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by NickLarsson Quote
What do you mean ?
I'm sure he was trying to make some sort of comment about the K-01 being limited to 1fps while shooting RAW.
11-28-2012, 06:52 AM   #78
Veteran Member

Looking at reviews, it seems like the EM-5 has slightly better IQ than the Pentax K-r, but slightly less IQ than the K-5.

The EM-5 is expensive compared to recent prices of the K-5. Even the Oly lenses, although very high quality, cost as much as the DA and FA LTDs. You'll get much more value going with a Pentax system.

Where the EM-5 stands out is it's size. You have to remember that, although it may not be quite as good as the K-5, it is much smaller. You're basically paying a large premium for that small size.

Both systems are highly praised and you won't go wrong with either. You'll just have to balance price vs weight/size.
11-28-2012, 01:13 PM   #79

I own several systems, I'm not brand loyal too.
But that does not make me a Pentax hater who lingers here to dissuade people from buying Pentax.

To me there is a diffrence between valid points being discussed and insidious brand hatred that some of these people have somehow formented due to their frustrations in using Pentax (be it lack of FF; low light AF; lack of good TTL flash; etc)
Sort of a "Crossed the bridge, now try to burn it down" mentality.

I WOULD give my opinion regarding my user experience regarding each format/system.
I WILL NOT try to paint a all hopeless/all gloom picture to anyone trying to look at Pentax vs another camera like some turn-coats are doing here.
Especially so when those are based on some ancient ist*D, K200, K10 or even K20.
Pentax has moved on and improved incrementally with Kx, K5, K30 and even Q and K01 (CDAF speed and decisiveness improved a lot with latest firmware).
For those who have jumped ship totally, their clocks have stopped regarding first hand infomation on Pentax cameras.

IMO, PF has a problem.
It does not know-how-to/want to handle the disgruntled people who have left for other systems.
Especially those who stay on here and try to dissuade people from buying a perfectly viable Pentax system.

See it as you will.
No point for me and you wasting time going back and forth on this.
Thats all I have to say here...
thx for this, will the op ever reply to us though now weve turned his thread into a big fat argument?

11-28-2012, 07:57 PM   #80

I'm curious as to what the OP bought.
11-28-2012, 08:11 PM   #81
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by memo90061 Quote
Probably a Nikon D800. Everyone knows that full frame is the only way to go.
11-29-2012, 05:10 AM   #82

Original Poster
Nothing yet, still reading.

Steve

11-29-2012, 06:21 AM   #83

I ended up buying the OM-D. I hope I don't regret it. If I do end up selling it, my next option is the Pentax K-5.
11-29-2012, 07:39 AM - 1 Like   #84
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

IMO, PF has a problem.
I know how!

Actually, I feel anyone can offer any opinion they wish. On the other hand, if their contributions appear boring and off-topic (my definition varies from post to post), the forum/s "Ignore" feature can be used to dump them into the troll pool.

Works great...

Cheers...M
11-29-2012, 10:15 AM   #85
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
I'm sure he was trying to make some sort of comment about the K-01 being limited to 1fps while shooting RAW.
Correct.
11-29-2012, 10:19 AM   #86
Veteran Member

I ended up buying the OM-D. I hope I don't regret it. If I do end up selling it, my next option is the Pentax K-5.
You can always buy the K5 as well, both system can exist next to each other.

I'm thinking to get OM-D as well but that would be my fun camera to go while the K5 is for the money making.
11-29-2012, 11:46 AM   #87

I would love to have two cameras for a specific purpose, but I don't think I should do that now until I finish studying at my university. I don't make money from photography, and just do it for fun. I think if I do like the Olympus OM-D I'd stay with the kit lens for now, and buy the Panasonic 25mm in the next couple of weeks if I find a used one at a good price.
11-29-2012, 02:08 PM   #88

I would love to have two cameras for a specific purpose, but I don't think I should do that now until I finish studying at my university. I don't make money from photography, and just do it for fun. I think if I do like the Olympus OM-D I'd stay with the kit lens for now, and buy the Panasonic 25mm in the next couple of weeks if I find a used one at a good price.
Don't get the kit lens or just sell it. Before you get the PL25, you might want to try Sigma 19/2.8 or 30/2.8 which is currently on sale for $150.
11-29-2012, 04:07 PM   #89
Veteran Member

For sheer iq and portability it is hard to beat the k5, all system considered. Try searching flickr for pictures taken with both systems and decide what is best for you.

At the end of the day every system will have compromises. List down what you want and see which one ticks the most boxes.

If you raw process k5 has plenty headroom.
11-29-2012, 06:07 PM   #90
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The OM-D EM5 (so many letters!) is smaller than a Pentax. The K5 II wins in every other way. You're still going to carry a bag, with a body and some lenses. Smaller is so insignificant IMO.