Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-25-2012, 04:19 PM   #1

K5, AF issue, out of focus

Hi,

I've a returning issue with the AF's of the K-5.
Using the D-FA 50 lens, which was checked with focus chart(OK, no micro adjust needed) in a small studio, with two flash, 500Ws each so we have enough lights..
Portrait photo, 1-1.5 m distance, focus OK, crystal clear image.
But when shooting from 3-3.5m distance, there's problem comes, out of focus a little, no pin sharp image.
Could it be an AF issue?? Or should I try to send K-5 +lens to repair lab to re calibrate?
Or any idea what can cause the problem?

Kind regards,
G.

11-25-2012, 04:31 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is it sharp when focusing manually? You should post some samples!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-25-2012, 05:46 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What are you focusing on? and what aperture? And what focusing mode?

The focusing 'points' of the k-5 are much larger than you might think. At closer range the subject's eye might fill the focusing point, but at the farther distance it might cover more of the face and lock on to something you did not intend.
11-25-2012, 06:29 PM   #4

I'm having the exact same issue

I noticed last week that I was losing a lot of shots with my K5/Tamron 28-70 set up due to focusing issues. Yesterday, I lost pretty much all of them. Today, I grabbed my Spyder Lens Cal and readjusted to what appeared to be correct AF adjustment. I shot a few pictures of my husband. Up close, I am getting sharp pictures, but from anywhere from 3 feet or greater, it's out of focus. I tested other lenses, and they are fine. I've used this set up for going on three years with little issues (this past year with my K5 and a K20d before that). I had some problems during the summer prompting me to get the Lens Cal, and after that, it looked great until last week. No matter what adjustment I'm making, it's very soft.

I wanted to add with the Lens Cal, I am shooting at f2.8 at 70mm.

Last edited by jenniferd; 11-25-2012 at 06:47 PM. Reason: To add Lens Cal test info.
11-25-2012, 08:05 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Is it sharp when focusing manually?
Or when using LiveView.

And yes, example 'problem' pix pls everyone. They help a lot.
11-25-2012, 09:06 PM   #6

I will post some tomorrow night, thanks - I took a whole bunch of photos, but didn't write down what picture went with which adjustment or how far away the subject was. Strangely, we decided to try the same lens on the K20 and it was just fine, very sharp. So, other lenses look fine on the K5, and that particular lens looks fine on another camera. I can't figure it out, but am very frustrated. I'll post tomorrow on a new thread as to not hijack the original posters thread.
11-26-2012, 08:27 AM   #7

Original Poster
Hi,

Uploaded 2 photos, one with focus OK and other with slightly out of focus.
Some of the EXIF data visible, but the rest of important is: spot metering, SR OFF.

K-5 & D-FA 50 Test img - a set on Flickr

Check them on 2048x1356 size

Adam: didn't checked yet manual focusing
jatrax: focusing on eye closer to me, AF mode
rawr: didn't checked yet LiveView

11-26-2012, 04:46 PM   #8
Veteran Member

In looking at image 2 'slightly out of focus', noting that using a 50mm lens, aperture at f9, and the distance to subject about 3m, you would have a depth of field of at least 1m. So the chances of the subject simply being out of focus due to the AF are pretty low - the DOF is huge here. Pretty much everything in the scene is going to be in focus, unless the camera AF was back or front-focussing at least 50cm or so from the subject, which seems unlikely.

Image softness isn't always a focus issue. Perhaps you are just seeing motion blur, caused by either subject or camera movement. Are you using flash, or just continuous lighting? If you are using continuous lighting, maybe increase shutter speed, and/or shoot with better stability.
11-26-2012, 05:36 PM   #9
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Must be a huge front focus. You should be able to tell this is the case by the distance markings on some lenses (obviously not the DA 50), but if this is the problem, have the camera lock focus again and see if it stays at the same focus distance or it adjusts again. It also depends what you were trying to focus on. If it were the bland looking top she was wearing the camera will find it difficult to lock focus and may erroneously lock on some arbitrary distance.

This erroneous AF locking occurs often in night scenes. Try again next time by locking onto her face/eyes using the different focus points on the K-5 rather than her clothes.
11-26-2012, 05:52 PM   #10
Veteran Member

And to really verify if it was an AF issue, shoot a number of shots at the same distance, but at f1.4, not f9. The focal plane will be much narrower, and any AF issues connected to back or front focus will probably be immediately identifiable.
11-26-2012, 05:54 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hard to compare, the 3/4 body shot is about 500k and the 1/2 body is around 1 meg. for file size. Can you post a 100% crop of both images from around the right eye and eyebrow?.
Edit: at full resolution.

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 11-26-2012 at 06:25 PM.
11-27-2012, 07:03 AM   #12

Photos: Albums
Focus issue is weakest of Pentax. Some time i wonder if i switch to Nikon gear?
11-27-2012, 08:26 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fanofcc Quote
Focus issue is weakest of Pentax. Some time i wonder if i switch to Nikon gear?
It is often not the gear, but the user - their skills, experience, preferences, and vulnerability to marketing.

And so Nikon users frequently switch to Canon, and Canon users switch to Nikon, or Nikon users switch to Sony, Sony users switch to Pentax, Pentax users switch to Fuji, Fuji users switch to Pentax. Etc.

And so the world turns.
11-27-2012, 09:33 AM   #14
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Geminiq Quote
Hi,

I've a returning issue with the AF's of the K-5.
Using the D-FA 50 lens, which was checked with focus chart(OK, no micro adjust needed) in a small studio, with two flash, 500Ws each so we have enough lights..
Portrait photo, 1-1.5 m distance, focus OK, crystal clear image.
But when shooting from 3-3.5m distance, there's problem comes, out of focus a little, no pin sharp image.
Could it be an AF issue?? Or should I try to send K-5 +lens to repair lab to re calibrate?
Or any idea what can cause the problem?

Kind regards,
G.
It's SAFOX's work in action. I had a lot of AF issues with K-5 and sold it.
11-27-2012, 06:51 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I had AF issues with my K-5 over time. I love the camera but it was immediately obvious there was a problem, particularly indoors under incandescent light. Focusing by LV was far more accurate. The camera was sent back to Pentax Japan for a replacement of the AF module. Focus was good and lenses which I thought had sharpness issues now had a new lease of life. The K-5 AF was good but definitely no match compared to the new K-30, which locked focus without hesitation. Dumped the K-5 immediately after that.