Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: K-5II or K-5IIs, which one? (assume prices are the same)
K-5II 2328.05%
K-5IIs 5971.95%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-13-2013, 05:40 AM   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I guess it depends on what you mean by "detail."

Original Image

06-13-2013, 05:52 AM   #47
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
That depends on how you define black and white, you could define it as no colour, but you could also define it as the worst case of false colour you've ever seen.

Cheers
Hmmmm... Let's say, when confronted by an Ansel Adams, Walker Evans, HBC. and/or (~ insert your fav BW photog, here ~) image, I'll try to imagine it as a bad case of false color...

Cheers...
06-13-2013, 06:08 AM   #48
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ManuH Quote
2 in 5000? I'm not so sure, I've seen the samples at dpreview.com, for example the hairs are ugly on the IIs because of the staircase effect. For a portraitist I'd guess the ratio would be much more than 2 in 5000.

It reminds me LCD screens and why Cleartype was invented. Interestingly when I started to install it on a lot of computers I got 2 different reactions. Some people were loving the smoothness, others were complaining about the fuzziness. Same with AA filters, some prefer the smoothness of them, others prefer the high acutance if a bit harsh look of the AA-less filters.

Also I liked John Bee's conclusion in the other forum. Those who shoot Jpeg and want to spend minimal time post-processing will prefer the IIs, and those who shoot in raw and always post-process will probably be better off with the II as they will get 90% of the sharpness but will preserve the tonality.
If only it were 90%. The Imaging resource has the k-5 II resolving 2200 lw/ph and the KIIs resolving 2300 lw/ph (the K-30 also resolves 2200 and a K-5 2100). So 2200/2300, that's a 4.5% increase.

To put that in perspective, printing at 100 DPi, your image taken with a KII and printed 22 x 32deep will look just as sharp as KIIs image printed at 23 x 33, inches deep. On smaller size prints the difference will be even less. And I have no information that would lead me to believe anyone could tell the difference if you printed both side by side at the same size.

With a pixel width of 4900, (pixel peeping) if you can see a difference on your screen that would be the equivalent of a picture that's 49 inches wide. You have to keep these things in perspective. The fact that you can see a difference when you blow a 22x15 mm wide image up to 49 inches probably doesn't have a lot of relevance in the real world. There are differences, and then there is splitting hairs. The 4000 lw/ph of a D800 or 645 D is a difference. A 4.5% increase is splitting hairs.
06-14-2013, 05:14 AM   #49
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

But there are real world examples where the K-5 IIs results are significantly more sharp at 100% magnification than those from the K-5. I can say that from my own experience with these two cameras, menial 4.5% increase or not.

06-14-2013, 05:30 AM   #50
Pentaxian

The key here is the @100% magnification. I'm guessing there are only a few of us that actually use the 4900 pixels a K-5 provides us with and who would use more if we had them...and I also have noticed that a difference of 200 lw/ph is noticeable @ 100% and on a APS-c, whether it be a sensor or a lens. The 4.5 % was K-5II to K-5 IIs. K-5 to K-5IIs is 9%. Though there is a visible difference between K-5 II and a K-5IIs, I personally think going to a 24 MP sensor will make more of a difference. Pentax still has a little bit of room to grow. ( Translate that to mean, they are falling behind, after briefly jumping ahead of the curve with the K-5.)
06-14-2013, 10:17 AM   #51
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
But there are real world examples where the K-5 IIs results are significantly more sharp at 100% magnification than those from the K-5. I can say that from my own experience with these two cameras, menial 4.5% increase or not.
I'm assuming that such comparisons are based on using the same sharpening parameters for both cameras.

Such comparisons are fundamentally flawed. The camera with a Bayer-AA-filter needs more capture sharpening to undo the effect of the filter.

Using the same parameters for both cameras is like making a comparison between shooting at ISO 3200 vs shooting at ISO 1600 but with -1EV exposure compensation and then not to pushing the ISO 1600 image by 1EV in post.

The deliberate image multiplication performed by a Bayer-AA-filter must be undone (ideally with a deconvolution sharpener) while no such post-processing is required for the K-5 IIs.
06-14-2013, 06:05 PM   #52
Pentaxian

yet i sharpen in pp on the k-5iis and they somehow get sharper.
06-19-2013, 07:39 AM   #53

K5ii

K5-II Just picked up the body only for $749 from Amazon Upgraded from the K20d. Spectacular difference

06-20-2013, 03:03 PM   #54
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by smegsjr Quote
K5-II Just picked up the body only for $749 from Amazon Upgraded from the K20d. Spectacular difference
If I could afford to upgrade my K5 it would to the K5IIs and then I would take lots of pics of roofs and park railings to try and see moire patterns.
06-20-2013, 03:45 PM   #55
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
Hi Guys,

We've seen enough discussion and comparison between these two cameras, and many of us already know the pros and cons of removing the AA filter. I'd like to see how many guys are really concerned about lacking of AA filter in a K-5 camera.

Let's assume the prices are the same for these two cameras: K-5II and K-5IIs, so we'd remove the price factor, and purely focus on the effect of AA vs non-AA filter.

You can only choose one from the two options, and you are welcome to explain the reasons why you choose that option, but I guess a poll would be good enough.

Would be very appreciated if we don't discuss or argue w/ the others here (there are plenty of discussion threads already). Just explain why you choose K-5II or K-5IIs if you like to.

Thanks and cheers!

Frank
No contest.

I would choose the same as I did when the prices were not the same...

K5-IIs

I am replacing a Leica M9 (lovely camera, beautiful pictures, stupid expensive camera and lenses), and loved having the AA filter removed. So there was no contest. K5-IIs it was.