Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-02-2012, 08:19 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Apparently without noticing, Adam has produced another "real world moiré" example; the f/5.6 cacti landscape shot shows some nasty moiré (right most cactus).

12-02-2012, 08:22 PM   #32
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Dr_who Quote
I'm not to concerned with moire, it happens from time to time no matter then camera.
While it is true that even cameras with a Bayer-AA-filter can produce moiré as well, they'll do that in a lot less circumstances, i.e., the likelihood of moiré occurring is much lower.
12-03-2012, 05:05 AM   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gooseta Quote
You say that more detail can be extracted from the k5ii with sharpening, who says you cant extract detail on the k5iis, I have seen many cases in my images where a lot of feather detail has been extracted with a bit of sharpening
Sorry, I should have said(to clarify) that the K-5 II can TOLERATE more sharpening than the K-5 IIs due to the nature of the softer images. IOW. you need to apply far more sharpening the K-5 II in order to get it into the K-5 IIs level of detail. Whereas the K-5 IIs doesn't need much sharpening at all(if any) under normal circumstances. Not to mention, where you will hit a maximum threshold very early on in terms of oversharpening.

Hope this helps clear things up.
12-03-2012, 05:06 AM   #34
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
It does OK:

Attachment 149769
Very impressive!

12-03-2012, 07:08 AM   #35
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
Very impressive!
I was impressed too. Select brush, apply to area of moire, adjust slider, moire gone, with minimal impact on underlying image.

DxO Optics Pro moire removal slider, however, totally failed to make any impact on the building, ditto PSP X' s Moire Removal tool, even though PSP X worked fine on the colour moire on Adam's cacti.

I wonder what is behind how different tools like LR or DxO or PSP assess and process moire? Are they checking for different types of moire? That seems possible. So one tool might not remove all moire forms.
12-11-2012, 10:49 PM   #36
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here's some moire from my phone. Spotted this in a shot I just took for a marketplace listing. Guess it's got supreme filterless 5MP resolution
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
BlackBerry 9810  Photo 

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-12-2012, 02:35 AM - 1 Like   #37
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hi

Be careful not to trick yourself thinking you have copped a dose of Moiré by judging what you see on your computer screen.
Here is an example. Safe the image to disk, than open it in, say in PS, hit Alt+Space to reduce the image (or zoom out in any other program) and you will see what I mean. Depending on the original size image this can happen anytime by displaying it "fit to screen" without checking "actual pixels" There can be a few variations here and there depending on the screen quality.

Greetings

Last edited by Schraubstock; 02-16-2013 at 01:50 AM.
12-12-2012, 09:24 PM   #38
Veteran Member

I've posted some samples of moire from my K-x before, but as falconeye explained, it's just one type of moire, luminance moire. Weird thing is I don't see a lot of moire in the IIs shots in Flickr...

[IMG]s9.postimage.org/75i5lj4pb/Untitled_1.jpg[/IMG]

i also have a sample of color moire on fabric, I'll post it when I find it.

12-13-2012, 02:21 AM   #39
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
DxO Optics Pro moire removal slider, however, totally failed to make any impact on the building, ditto PSP X' s Moire Removal tool, even though PSP X worked fine on the colour moire on Adam's cacti.

I wonder what is behind how different tools like LR or DxO or PSP assess and process moire? Are they checking for different types of moire? That seems possible. So one tool might not remove all moire forms.
I played with ways of removing moire in CS5 the other day. One pretty effective way of removing it is using a motion blur, but that motion blur must be set to run "across" the pattern. In other words, the first example of the building exhibiting moire displayed almost perfectly vertically (the first time I've seen that), and so a motion blur that was set to run vertically also would do nothing to counter it; it must be set to blur horizontally.

I wonder if the DxO and PSP processing bases its moire removal on a vertical detection algorithm. It seems unlikely in a way, especially since in the building we are mainly seeing color moire which shouldn't need to be undone by blurring (probably by some sort of averaging of the pixel colors).

Anyway, if you have a chance, I wonder if rotating the image and trying DxO and PSP again would yield different results. Probably not, but I'd do it if I had either of the programs.

P.S. Removing color moire can, If I remember correctly what I did, be controlled, if not completely removed, by the color noise filter in ACR/LR. I suppose that any RAW filter or general image editor that offers color noise reduction could be effective also with color moire.
12-13-2012, 02:27 PM   #40
Pentaxian

Has anyone used the "spurious colour noise" adjustment in the Pentax camera utility to control colour moire? I don't have a photo of my own which demonstrates obvious moire to experiment with.
01-22-2013, 06:28 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Original Poster
MOIRE MOIRE MOIRE

Ok where are the others that spoil your pictures? still waiting....
01-22-2013, 10:55 PM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cbaytan Quote
Ok where are the others that spoil your pictures? still waiting....
Posted this in another thread, but since you seem very enthusiastic on it...
here's a 100% crop

01-24-2013, 11:29 AM   #43
Pentaxian

Here's some moire from a D600, which is supposed to have a filter.
Attached Images

01-24-2013, 09:34 PM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aegon Quote
Here's some moire from a D600, which is supposed to have a filter.
I get some similar moire in clothes from my K-x at times, but not as bad as the one I got from the K-5 IIs... which, so far, happened only once. So, still not fearful of moire.
10-11-2013, 02:21 AM   #45
Veteran Member

Not with a K-5IIs but with a Ricoh GR (with very similar sensor):

Ricoh GR, f5.6, ISO 100,
2541x1793 from 4928x3264 scaled to 1200x847,
some post-processing (due to yellowness and weak contrast of original).